• aperz1
    aperz1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup would be 120ml
  • aperz1
    Options
    42zsz19g7r54.jpg
    For the newborn baby reply. Not sure what you're getting at.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The answer is pretty simple. If you're gaining weight, you're eating more than you're burning. It really is that simple.
    It is true that you may retain some water with a new workout regiment, but a: it is only temporary B: right after you would see a steady weight loss due to the workout and c: for it to retain water, you should be doing some regular, moderately intense workouts, which would result in fat loss after the initial water gain.

So, if you gained any weight, it's because your input was more than the output. There are a lot of people who explained this in a lot of different ways, really, that is the answer! Start measuring your food, a digital food scale is pretty cheap.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    aperz1 wrote: »
    Yes actually they do convert. I'm a nurse and 1 ml= 1 gram. 30 ml = ounce. 8 oz= cup . This is plenty accurate.

If you go back to your nursing books you'll soon recall that 1ml only equals 1g with pure water. Any substance with a density different from pure water will not have the conversion of 1ml to 1g.

ml is a volume measurement unit

g is a mass measurement unit

Density is mass divided by volume.

An example of 1ml not equalling 1g is mercury. 1ml of mercury equals 13.53g.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Are you resting the other 3-4 days/week? How many steps are you getting per day?
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Yes actually they do convert. I'm a nurse and 1 ml= 1 gram. 30 ml = ounce. 8 oz= cup . This is plenty accurate.

If you go back to your nursing books you'll soon recall that 1ml only equals 1g with pure water. Any substance with a density different from pure water will not have the conversion of 1ml to 1g.

ml is a volume measurement unit

g is a mass measurement unit

Density is mass divided by volume.

An example of 1ml not equalling 1g is mercury. 1ml of mercury equals 13.53g.

qft
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a good idea of portion control.

If I had a gram of muscle for every time I heard that I would be Ronnie Coleman
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Orangetheory workouts, but if its getting you exercise and you're getting fitter why not. On the scale / logging thing as others have said it takes no time at all to weigh food and log it. Just allow for the minute or two weighing when prepping meals; I really don't think about it, it's just something my wife and I do. As others have said all things being equal it seems like your guestimates are out, I've read articles that say people tend to underestimate portions. So get a cheap set of scales (ours were £15.00) and just take the time to weigh it, as I say its not a chore.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Orange theory if I remember the speal correctly has weight lifting along with cardio in their workout mix, I googled when we got one in my area. If this is the first time OP has used any kind of weightlifting then it's possible, not likely but possible, this is newb gains. Far more likely is adding a larger than needed snack after the class.
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    For the newborn baby reply. Not sure what you're getting at.

I feel like you're deliberately being obtuse. For experiment's sake, take what you believe to be your "normal" portions, weigh out everything you eat for one day (just one! Solids in grams, liquids in cups) and log it all into MFP. I'd love to see if you still think there's "something more to it" after weighing your food for a day. Because I'll bet there isn't.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

No they don't

because you can pack in more than you should in your cups

you can easily double the amount of rice or grated cheese

a scale is about $15... invest in one

you are clearly overeating, your food intake has probably, unknowingly gone up because you are expending more in workouts .. body likes to be fueled

you've been given the right information over and over in this thread

you will either choose to trial it for 2 - 4 weeks and learn .. or continue the way you're going

your decision, of course
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    also this conversation happens time and time again on MFP

those that try the scale approach invariably come back and say they never realised how many calories they were actually eating

it's mind-blowing

you're not unusual .. you are like most people .. we all think we know better, personal proof is your only option
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse, too. Just get the dang food scale and weigh and measure absolutely everything. Then come back here in six to eight weeks and give us an update.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    My husband has lost over 60 pounds in the last year by weighing his food and logging it. He even measures out his glasses of wine. I say, try it for one day. don't change a darn thing, but weigh/measure your food and log it for one day. Include every stick of gum, every spoonful of gravy/sauce/jelly/honey/sugar. My husband swears by the scale. both for food and his daily weigh in. I do as well.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    What I've never understood about these forums is, someone comes and asks a question then they get a ton of responses. Every response is the same. Food Scale. But somehow you feel they are all incorrect. And you fight it tooth and nail.

The ONLY other thing I can suggest (if you absoultely WON'T get and use a food scale), is to get your thyroid checked. If you have recently and it's fine, then eliminate a snack out of your day for 4 weeks and come back and report. Something you've ALWAYS eaten EVERYDAY, remove it.

You are 99% chance eating too much. Seriously.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I'm a nurse, too. Just get the dang food scale and weigh and measure absolutely everything. Then come back here in six to eight weeks and give us an update.

made me smile @emdeesea
  • aperz1
    Options
    Holy cow. I said I would try it. Thanks for the advice.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

How many cups is a newborn baby?

This is a bit of a false comparison. 1 ml of most fluids is about 1g, as long as those fluids are mostly water. So you can safely weigh most drinks (milk, juice) and get an accurate measurement. I usually weigh my cereal milk and coffee milk rather than measuring it, for example. This only works for fluids with a density of approximately 1g/ml. A baby does not have a density of 1g/ml. Neither do fluids with either a high percentage of oil or of solids (so salad dressing or salsa wouldn't work).

Note that following this rule typically results in weighing more foods, not less ;).
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

How many cups is a newborn baby?

This is a bit of a false comparison. 1 ml of most fluids is about 1g, as long as those fluids are mostly water. So you can safely weigh most drinks (milk, juice) and get an accurate measurement. I usually weigh my cereal milk and coffee milk rather than measuring it, for example. This only works for fluids with a density of approximately 1g/ml. A baby does not have a density of 1g/ml. Neither do fluids with either a high percentage of oil or of solids (so salad dressing or salsa wouldn't work).

Note that following this rule typically results in weighing more foods, not less ;).

not true of oil is it?

I though 4g = 5ml

might be wrong there though
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    In love with Orangetheory workouts, but really bummed with results. I've been going 3-4 times per week for over 4 months. Gained 4 lbs and 1% body fat. My diet is pretty clean and hasn't changed. So I'm burning more calories than prior to starting OTF. Is this my body adapting and it will change? Suggestions? Just makes no sense to gain weight and fat doing this workout.

Did you actually gain 1% BF or did your BF% go up 1%? There is a difference.

A food scale isn't necessary for weight loss, though it can be a handy tool.

If your body fat % went up then one of 2 things had to happen. Either you gained fat or you lost LBM. You can't gain fat in a calorie deficit. You can lose LBM in a calorie deficit.

But there is a margin of error on measuring BF by any means, including Bod Pod. It's quite possible your BF% didn't change at all.