Thoughts on Jillian Michaels..? Do you have/love any books or dvd's by her..?

Options

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I have 30DS and Ripped in 30. Like them both. It's a good, get it done quick workout if you are low on time. I also used them when I was on vacation and didn't have access to the gym or when it's too cold to run outside. I have no issues with her workouts.

I don't recommend the diet books. I've never read them, so I can't say what's wrong with them. But I've never seen any diet book that's worth reading.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I have Beginner 30 Day Shed, great for just starting your fitness routine and 30 Day Shed. I like both DVD's and find her personality very supportive and non abrasive. She likely gets more intense as she moves up the scale of intensity in her DVDs.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I just started 30 day shred (video) last night. I'm keeping a blog of my progress. Never tried her before but looking forward to getting good results based on the many reviews I read.
  • bdorri00
    bdorri00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of her books but when I was at a plateau I did the first two levels of 30 day shred and finally went down another pant size. It is very hard, no doubt--but so worth it!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have done the 30 day shred video. The work outs were good for my fitness level at the time. I haven't read any of her books, but I signed up for her online program for diets once. It's kind of the same typical website diet; chicken breast, steamed veggies, egg whites etc. Seemed kind of behind the times with what you could potentially be cooking. The Weight Watchers or South Beach Diet cook books have better recipes if you want to purchase a low calorie oriented cookbook.
  • MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    I don't see the point of buying her books other than maybe for recipe ideas. She won't teach you anything you can't learn via google or MFP.

However, I like her workout DVDs. In particular, I LOVE her Body Revolution program - best workout DVD I've ever done. It's 12 weeks, and every two weeks you advance to more difficult workouts. So it starts out at a beginner level and gets much harder over time. The summer I did it I was in the best shape of my life!

Thanks!!

I am glad to see so many positive remarks about her workouts, I had read some places online saying her workouts can be dangerous. But I remember years ago when the Cindy Crawford/Radu workout came out and some criticized IT for being risky/dangerous, and I used to do that workout all the time and was in the best shape of my life when doing that workout, so it goes to show, proper form and common sense and adjusting when/if needed make a world of difference.

Interesting to see some here have said her kettlebell form is bad, I am glad to hear/read that, because I was actually thinking of getting her kettlebell workout at some point..

So great to hear real honest opinions and get solid advice and personal experiences here on MFP. I feel like sometimes things on amazon reviews and online sites are phony or I swear it sounds like some people review videos without actually doing them..?!?

Thanks, everyone!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, her kettlebell form is bad.

Otherwise, I'd say check out the workouts. My sister has loved many of them (she's also enjoyed Insanity and various others), and recommended that I do 30DS when I was starting out. I ended up deciding I prefer the gym and outdoor cardio and don't usually stick to videos in my house, but I did it for a while and quite enjoyed it, and it wasn't too difficult. I tried a boxing one that was more confusing, but her basic format is not.

I'm not a believer in most diet books and think Jillian pushes some woo sometimes, but some stuff she says is decent (again, from my sister, mainly). If you like podcasts, she has one (I found it on iTunes) that I've listened to on occasion. She seems to want to be a general life coach and not stick to fitness, but still talks about it some and the older ones are more focused on fitness, if they are still available. That might be a nice free option to see if you like what she has to say. (I haven't listened in some time, since I found others I liked more, but that's not her, it's my own changing interests.)
  • MSH2930
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Otherwise, I'd say check out the workouts. My sister has loved many of them (she's also enjoyed Insanity and various others), and recommended that I do 30DS when I was starting out. I ended up deciding I prefer the gym and outdoor cardio and don't usually stick to videos in my house, but I did it for a while and quite enjoyed it, and it wasn't too difficult. I tried a boxing one that was more confusing, but her basic format is not.

I'm not a believer in most diet books and think Jillian pushes some woo sometimes, but some stuff she says is decent (again, from my sister, mainly). If you like podcasts, she has one (I found it on iTunes) that I've listened to on occasion. She seems to want to be a general life coach and not stick to fitness, but still talks about it some and the older ones are more focused on fitness, if they are still available. That might be a nice free option to see if you like what she has to say. (I haven't listened in some time, since I found others I liked more, but that's not her, it's my own changing interests.)

Great info, thanks so much!! May I ask which others you have found and that you like more..? Thinking I may like her, but I also like variety, as well!! :wink:
    Thanks!!
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just for fun I looked up Jillian Michael's qualifications. From her website: Since 1993, Jillian has held two personal training certificates from the leading certification programs in the country: the National Exercise & Sports Trainers Association (NESTA) and the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA). In addition she is Kettlebell Concepts certified. Jillian...also holds a nutrition and wellness consultant certificate with the American Fitness Professionals and Associates (AFPA).

I then Googled all of these associations and it looks pretty dang easy to get certified- if you have $ and a computer, you're golden - my thoughts being that if I want non-woo health/fitness advice I'd rather get it from someone with an actual academic degree in the subject area. Hence people talking about her bad form , etc.
  • MSH2930
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jcow84 wrote: »
    Just for fun I looked up Jillian Michael's qualifications. From her website: Since 1993, Jillian has held two personal training certificates from the leading certification programs in the country: the National Exercise & Sports Trainers Association (NESTA) and the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA). In addition she is Kettlebell Concepts certified. Jillian...also holds a nutrition and wellness consultant certificate with the American Fitness Professionals and Associates (AFPA).

I then Googled all of these associations and it looks pretty dang easy to get certified- if you have $ and a computer, you're golden - my thoughts being that if I want non-woo health/fitness advice I'd rather get it from someone with an actual academic degree in the subject area. Hence people talking about her bad form , etc.

Interesting, good points. What is 'non-woo' by the way..? I've seen people say 'woo' a couple if times..I am such a greenhorn and behind the times!!!! THANKS!!!! :smile:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I liked 30 Day Shred. It's the only exercise DVD that I have purchased and actually completed. I do like to listen to her podcast. She talks about a lot of different subjects along with exercise and nutrition. I don't agree with everything that she recommends but I have picked up some good things here and there.

If you are interested in her books it might be a good idea to go to the library and see if they have any available. That way you can skim them and if they aren't your taste then you haven't lost any money.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »

Great info, thanks so much!! May I ask which others you have found and that you like more..? Thinking I may like her, but I also like variety, as well!! :wink:
    Thanks!!

Podcasts? I LOVE podcasts. Fitness ones I like include The Fitcast (different formats over the years, currently interviews with usually interesting people in fitness -- more of a lifting bias), the Nia Shanks show (also more lifting, some food stuff), The Age Grouper (old triathlon podcast), the Marathon Show, RunnersConnect, EvilSugarRadio (jokey title), SigmaNutrition, StrengthMatters, and GirlsGoneWOD. HalfSizeMe seems decent -- the host was a guest on Nia Shanks earlier version of her podcast, Lift Like a Girl. Some of these I don't listen to in their entirety, but if the guest/topic seems good.
  • MSH2930
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Our local library sucks. If it was not printed before 1980, then they do not have it. The not so local library also stinks. They have more modern books, but not much at all in the way of fitness or the popular trainers. But yes libraries are wonderful. Especially if you have a good one. :wink:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Our local library sucks. If it was not printed before 1980, then they do not have it. The not so local library also stinks. They have more modern books, but not much at all in the way of fitness or the popular trainers. But yes libraries are wonderful. Especially if you have a good one. :wink:

I lived in a town like that. Usually they would have no problem ordering a book from another library for someone to check out. I'm not sure if they would be willing to do that. If not see if you can find it used on Amazon so that way you aren't out too much if you decide it isn't for you.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

I lived in a town like that. Usually they would have no problem ordering a book from another library for someone to check out. I'm not sure if they would be willing to do that. If not see if you can find it used on Amazon so that way you aren't out too much if you decide it isn't for you.

Excellent ideas, thanks!!! :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    It's amazing what you can get on amazon for just postage. Another idea, especially for older fitness books, is paperbackswap. I used to use it a lot, but got lazy.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    It's amazing what you can get on amazon for just postage. Another idea, especially for older fitness books, is paperbackswap. I used to use it a lot, but got lazy.

Cool, great idea..thanks!!! :smile:
  • adiafaith
    adiafaith Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Podcasts? I LOVE podcasts. Fitness ones I like include The Fitcast (different formats over the years, currently interviews with usually interesting people in fitness -- more of a lifting bias), the Nia Shanks show (also more lifting, some food stuff), The Age Grouper (old triathlon podcast), the Marathon Show, RunnersConnect, EvilSugarRadio (jokey title), SigmaNutrition, StrengthMatters, and GirlsGoneWOD. HalfSizeMe seems decent -- the host was a guest on Nia Shanks earlier version of her podcast, Lift Like a Girl. Some of these I don't listen to in their entirety, but if the guest/topic seems good.

Love Nia Shanks! HalfSizeMe I started listening to after she was on LLaG - it's ok, usually pretty decent. Thanks for listing your favorites - I'm always looking for new ones!
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used Julian Michaels kickboxing DVD for an entire year lost a bunch of weight and still losing weight. I enjoyed her DVDs hope this helps.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    Kickboxing is wonderful. I used a kickboxing dvd years ago and dang did it whip me into shape!! :smile: