Hypothyroid & Losing Weight

Options
I went to the doctor and found out that I am hypothyroid. I have been prescribed 50mg of Synthroid and will start it today. Anybody else on a weight loss journey with this disorder and taking this medication that can give me any tips, advice, what to expect etc.? Any details of your journey are appreciated!

Replies

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I've been on synthroid for years. My best advice: take it every single day. It will help you have more energy. If you're on synthroid you should have no issues with losing weight. I've lost over 40 lbs since Sept 1. You won't have any side effects other than actually feeling way more energy. Before I was on synthroid, I would fall asleep if I sat down. I don't have that problem anymore :smiley:
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm on 88 mcg of synthroid. I've been able to lose 40 lbs this past year by following MFP. Just log accurately and maintain your deficit and you will lose. Take your synthroid as prescribed and keep your doctor's appointments so they can check your blood to make sure your thyroid level is under control.
  • wendykoopa
    wendykoopa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been on synthroid for years. My best advice: take it every single day. It will help you have more energy. If you're on synthroid you should have no issues with losing weight. I've lost over 40 lbs since Sept 1. You won't have any side effects other than actually feeling way more energy. Before I was on synthroid, I would fall asleep if I sat down. I don't have that problem anymore :smiley:

Thanks, Rose! I have been overweight my whole life for no culpable reason. I don't over eat. My appetite is less than most people at a normal weight. And I can never remember having energy, even as a child.

I hope this medication will be a major positive life changer for me. I likely could have and should have been diagnosed before, but I *HATE* going to the doctor. For 2016, I made a resolution that I would make my health a priority. And this is the first step!
  • wendykoopa
    Options
    Keith3481 wrote: »
    I'm on 88 mcg of synthroid. I've been able to lose 40 lbs this past year by following MFP. Just log accurately and maintain your deficit and you will lose. Take your synthroid as prescribed and keep your doctor's appointments so they can check your blood to make sure your thyroid level is under control.

Thanks for the advice, Keith! I'm glad to hear a positive outcome from taking this medication. The doctor started me out on 50mcg and I go back in 2 months to check my levels. Hoping we can get them under control as quickly as possible, because I'm 27 years old and for 27 years I have been living in an energy-less mind fog. I'm over it already!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    make sure you take your medicine (on its own, not with an other medication you may also take) on an empty stomach and do not eat for at least one hour! also no coffee for at least one hour as caffeine can affect absorption.

ETA: i was only not eating/drinking coffee for 30 minutes until my new endo advised me otherwise!
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was diagnosed in June and am also on 50 mcg of Levothyroxine.

Per the instructions that came with my medication, I take it 30 to 60 minutes before having my morning coffee or eating anything. Usually it's a lot closer to 30 than 60.

It took about six weeks for it to really kick in. I started feeling quite a bit better after just a couple of weeks (brain fog improved dramatically), but it took six weeks before I started losing weight. Since then I've lost 25 pounds fairly easily, and I can't begin to describe how much better I feel. I'm 53 and honestly feel better than I've ever felt in my life.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    Options
    +1 to following the specific directions you're given about taking it, as others have said, usually first thing in the morning *every* day, with 1/2-1 hour before eating as directed. I've been on Synthroid (or generic) for 15 years. It took a little while to get the dose adjusted correctly, but even the initial "too low" dose did help me feel somewhat better. Since getting to that correct dose, I've done the blood test every 6 months, and the dosage has had to be adjusted two (maybe three?) times since. I'm now at 175mcg.

You may find that you lose weight more easily, but you may also find that intentional action is required on that front in order to achieve your goals, vs. just automagically losing.

While under good control of the thyroid levels, I've lost 57 pounds since mid-April 2015 by weighing/logging food & following the standard MFP-recommended process (and I'm 60 y/o).

You may be able to start losing weight while still working on the thyroid level correction, but possibly you'd experience a slower weight loss rate (fewer pounds/week) at any given calorie level, and find that that changed as your thyroid levels improve. But I'd resist any temptation to cut calories to an unsustainable level just to get that loss, if it proves difficult.

If you've been low energy your whole life, it might make more sense to use some new-found energy to get in the habit of moving more, rather than cutting calories to the point where you may lose energy again. Don't be afraid to modestly experiment, with your doctor's approval, on the weight loss front, but do pay close attention to how you feel!

(P.S. to other hypothyroid folks: Yes, I know the issues about levothyroxine generics. Trust me, things are OK.)
  • wendykoopa
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    +1 to following the specific directions you're given about taking it, as others have said, usually first thing in the morning *every* day, with 1/2-1 hour before eating as directed. I've been on Synthroid (or generic) for 15 years. It took a little while to get the dose adjusted correctly, but even the initial "too low" dose did help me feel somewhat better. Since getting to that correct dose, I've done the blood test every 6 months, and the dosage has had to be adjusted two (maybe three?) times since. I'm now at 175mcg.

You may find that you lose weight more easily, but you may also find that intentional action is required on that front in order to achieve your goals, vs. just automagically losing.

While under good control of the thyroid levels, I've lost 57 pounds since mid-April 2015 by weighing/logging food & following the standard MFP-recommended process (and I'm 60 y/o).

You may be able to start losing weight while still working on the thyroid level correction, but possibly you'd experience a slower weight loss rate (fewer pounds/week) at any given calorie level, and find that that changed as your thyroid levels improve. But I'd resist any temptation to cut calories to an unsustainable level just to get that loss, if it proves difficult.

If you've been low energy your whole life, it might make more sense to use some new-found energy to get in the habit of moving more, rather than cutting calories to the point where you may lose energy again. Don't be afraid to modestly experiment, with your doctor's approval, on the weight loss front, but do pay close attention to how you feel!

(P.S. to other hypothyroid folks: Yes, I know the issues about levothyroxine generics. Trust me, things are OK.)

Thanks for all the helpful advice, Ann! I'm hoping that being proactive about keeping up with my calorie intake as well as exercising, and my medication, I will lose some weight. I bought an eliptical/bike duo and have been building up a workout routine. It's hard because I'm out of shape and also have no energy. The sooner this stuff kicks in, the better!
  • mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been on Levothyroxine since the early 90's. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in my 20's. I take 200 mcg. The highest my TSH has ever been is 187.

I know it takes a while to notice the difference but when it does, wow what a difference! I was an outlier in that I always gained weight as I got closer to euthyroid since I was able to move to get something to eat. The more hypo I got the less I weighed since my energy was too low to eat!

I wish you all the best. If you aren't feeling better in a couple of months, I suggest running a full panel to see that you are converting your t4 into t3 properly. In a few people this doesn't happen and they have to take a different hormone replacement but I can't for the life of me recall the name right now.
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ok. Thanks for this post. I have a question for y'all. I've been on Levo at 125 mcg for the last 6-7 months and my # looks great. The problem is I'm not seeing any of the good side effects that y'all are saying you get. I'm still VERY sluggish and have been having a problem with losing weight. Could a change in meds make a difference there? and not screw up my good #? I hate feeling like this and am sooooo ready to rid myself of this weight. If it's time for a med change, what do you suggest? Thanks in advance!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Terri70 wrote: »
    Ok. Thanks for this post. I have a question for y'all. I've been on Levo at 125 mcg for the last 6-7 months and my # looks great. The problem is I'm not seeing any of the good side effects that y'all are saying you get. I'm still VERY sluggish and have been having a problem with losing weight. Could a change in meds make a difference there? and not screw up my good #? I hate feeling like this and am sooooo ready to rid myself of this weight. If it's time for a med change, what do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

maybe ask your doctor about switching from the generic to brand (Synthroid)? it makes a difference for some people i've heard.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I've been on 75mcg of generic synthroid for a while and lost 67 pounds using MFP. You shouldn't have any trouble at all as long as you weigh/measure and log your food correctly.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have been on Synthroid since I was 8 years old. I am now 40. Up until this week I was taking 250mcg/day. I have been pretty stable the past 5 years but for those with experience, this is a high dose. As of last week I am down 40lbs since March of last year and when I went to my PCP this week he said it was time to LOWER MY DOSE!!!! While just a small change, down to 225mcg, this is a huge victory for me. I'm including a link to a great article that might provide some hope to others:

http://hypothyroidmom.com/weight-loss-and-hypothyroidism-quite-the-odd-couple/
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Do keep in mind that dosing is based on multiple factors -- the first one being the person's body weight. A 200 pound person is going to need more thyroid hormone than a 100 pound person. The second factor is age-in general older people need a smaller dosage than younger people. And the third factor is, of course, how that individual responds to a particular dose. But I don't find that it really does much good comparing dosages w/o taking body weight and age into account. FWIW, most sources list the "average" dose as being 1.7 mcg. per kg. of body weight, or 1 mcg. per kg. of body weight for older people. I'm not sure what constitutes "older."
  • thisstacyrocks
    thisstacyrocks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Terri70 wrote: »

You should consider switching to a Rx that has T4 and T3, such as, Armour Thyroid. It has both T4 and T3. For people who still feel sluggish and have the side effects of hypothyroidism while taking a T4 only drugs, such as Synthroid, Levo, etc. see huge improvements on the T4 with T3 combo. I have been on armour for 12 years and it's the only drug that makes me feel more normal. Some doctors do not believe in Armour since it is naturally derived from animal and not really synthetic. So if you must stay on a synthetic version of meds ask for a synthetic t3 drug to pair with it. Once you add t3 you will see a huge improvement.
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is valuable information for me. I have nodule on my thyroid and I fear my thyroid may have to come out in less than a year. I have been worried about gaining weight after its removed and I'm on medication.
    The nodule isnt cancerous, my thyroid numbers are normal and Im not experiencing any difficulties with the nodule
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Do keep in mind that dosing is based on multiple factors -- the first one being the person's body weight. A 200 pound person is going to need more thyroid hormone than a 100 pound person. The second factor is age-in general older people need a smaller dosage than younger people. And the third factor is, of course, how that individual responds to a particular dose. But I don't find that it really does much good comparing dosages w/o taking body weight and age into account. FWIW, most sources list the "average" dose as being 1.7 mcg. per kg. of body weight, or 1 mcg. per kg. of body weight for older people. I'm not sure what constitutes "older."

While I agree that a person's weight and age can have be a factor I can say from personal experience that I have weighed less than I do now and have was still on just as high a dose of Synthroid. I think that the big change now is the balance of foods that I am eating along with the exercise.
  • HummingNutter
    HummingNutter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been on Synthroid for over 35 years, (I'm 46 now).
    Sometimes it takes a while to get the correct dose, so give it some time. You will be able to lose weight, just make sure that you are eating high quality calories and eat at a deficit. Also try to get some physical exercise daily, it helps combat the fatigue you get when your thyroid is not working properly.

And always take thyroid replacement on an empty stomach, with a full glass of water, wait at least 30-60 minutes before eating, and at least 3 hours before you take any vitamins, supplement, or calcium containing products.

Some people take their medication at bedtime, but most take in the morning, if you take other medications consult your doctor or pharmacist about whether you can take them at the same time as your thyroid replacement.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have had some symptoms for a while and saw an endocrinologist yesterday. He's pretty sure I have Hashimoto's. Had all the blood work done today and have a follow up on Feb. 9th. Hoping to start a medication regime soon. I'd really like my hair to stop falling out and would REALLY like to get some weight off!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    i have been on Synthroid for about 26 years with a few ups and downs. Generic thyroid medication (I have been told by my doctor) can have a varied dose of actual medication in it, and so the effect can vary. But studies have shown that Synthroid appears to be very consistent. Some people are more sensitive to these variations than others, so it is important to have your blood work done regularly (as your doctor recommends) to make sure your levels are even. Getting too much or too little can have a dramatic impact on how you feel. For your first prescription, your doctor is really giving you his or her best guess at what will work for you, based on a number of considerations, so do not be surprised if your meds have to be adjusted once or twice.

If you google the effects of hypothyroidism, you can see that how many bodily functions can be affected, and how many symptoms can be manifest to indicate that you have a problem in this area, from itchy dry skin to unconsciousness! It is so important to take your meds properly - follow your doctors (or your pharmacists) directions.

In terms of weight loss, once you are on the right doseage, you should have no difficulties in losing weight - good luck!