I'm on a diet and my boyfriend is not!!!

Options

Replies

• zoeybleepbloop
    zoeybleepbloop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Husband is a skinny 6'4" twig, puts butter and whole milk in everything. He has trouble keeping weight on, so I can't really make "light" dinners or he'll waste away.

My solution: Whatever we eat, I portion mine out, and I put it on top of a big huge pile of plain salad greens. Typically this works for nearly anything. Don't even need dressing. Stew, spaghetti, I'll even cut up a single slice of pizza and put it on a big huge pile of salad greens. It's like filler that adds volume and fiber and I don't feel like I'm being slighted with my teeny tiny portion because my plate still looks huge and takes a long time to eat. I just keep one of those boxes of salad greens around 24/7 for this. May not work for everyone, but maybe someone will find that useful!

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My boyfriend is obese. I would like to see him lose weight, but that's really up to him. I just do the best I can for myself, because only I am responsible for me.

We have different tastes in food so I cook my own stuff, he cooks his. We also both have food allergies to different things so if he has eggs, I can't, and if I have nuts, he can't, which makes it easier to cook and eat separately.
  • gracepostie
    gracepostie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Negative_X wrote: »
    So my boyfriend is a little skinny Minnie. Eats whatever he wants whenever he wants and is a stick!! So it's so hard to not eat the stuff he eats and to stick with my diet!! I have all my meals planned. But he'll come home with pizza. While I eat my veggies. How do i not just eat the pizza too?!?! Does anyone else have their significant other not on a diet? Tempting them? What do you do to resist?

Send the pizza to me and I'll inspect it for caloric content, then let you know if it's ok to eat.

I make no guarantees if the pizza makes it back to you.

Hahahaha that's so nice of you!! What a great support system ;)
  • gracepostie
    Options
    my boyfriend showed up from work last night with fast food in hand. a burger and onion rings for both of us. NO way am i going to say no to that. So what do i do? Work it off! My boyfriend is quite slim and can eat what he wants, when he wants. So I try to consume fewer calories during the day when we are away from each other. That way I don't feel worried about having a slice, eating potatoes, or even having a greasy burger later! I also try to get a pretty good workout before dinner as well! Really helps.

What's your best calorie burning exercises??
  • gracepostie
    Options
    trisha1298 wrote: »
    Pizza rules

• itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

This is the only way.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Husband is a skinny 6'4" twig, puts butter and whole milk in everything. He has trouble keeping weight on, so I can't really make "light" dinners or he'll waste away.

My solution: Whatever we eat, I portion mine out, and I put it on top of a big huge pile of plain salad greens. Typically this works for nearly anything. Don't even need dressing. Stew, spaghetti, I'll even cut up a single slice of pizza and put it on a big huge pile of salad greens. It's like filler that adds volume and fiber and I don't feel like I'm being slighted with my teeny tiny portion because my plate still looks huge and takes a long time to eat. I just keep one of those boxes of salad greens around 24/7 for this. May not work for everyone, but maybe someone will find that useful!

I do this all the time. It also works with roasted broccoli or cauliflower (if you like the taste of those).
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza every day (or close to it) and I'm down 45lb. If you want to lose weight eat at a deficit. If you want to be healthy, eat a varied diet and eat less nutritional items in moderation. But there is no reason you have to be strict with anything (not even calorie counting).

Thank you!!!! :) I always thought in order to loose weight you had to be strict on yourself and suffer. Hahaha

Nope. It's all about portion control. Log your pizza, and watch your calorie count for the day. (Eating lots of salad vegetables helps fill the stomach)
  • sisu89
    sisu89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Dang, what's with boyfriends and they're crappy eating?

My boyfriend and I both put on a bit of weight and decided to start tracking our calories. So far he's hasn't logged ONE thing on MFP, and yet he still looks like he lost weight?! I know if he tracked, his calories would be through the roof, but just him thinking he should cut down was enough to get him to metabolize it, apparently! The jerk! :tongue:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My husband is not on a diet either, unfortunately. I got over not being able to eat stuff he brings home, long ago. I do the cooking, and remind him that we have food in the house, and that curbs him somewhat.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Well, imagine my boyfriend who is doing a bulk for his bodybuilding at the moment... And has been bulking for some time now, too. He's one of those types who's always been super skinny and has had trouble keeping weight on. BUT lucky me, I'm a vegetarian and he isn't. He loves ALL meat dishes and I can't eat a single one because they're not veggie. Perfect!

I do sometimes have trouble with the chocolate bars and bags of chips that he tends to buy, though...
    Whatever we eat, I portion mine out, and I put it on top of a big huge pile of plain salad greens. Typically this works for nearly anything. Don't even need dressing. Stew, spaghetti, I'll even cut up a single slice of pizza and put it on a big huge pile of salad greens. It's like filler that adds volume and fiber and I don't feel like I'm being slighted with my teeny tiny portion because my plate still looks huge and takes a long time to eat. I just keep one of those boxes of salad greens around 24/7 for this. May not work for everyone, but maybe someone will find that useful!

This is great advice! I have actually done this and it works great. Works with broccoli, too!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So my boyfriend is a little skinny Minnie. Eats whatever he wants whenever he wants and is a stick!! So it's so hard to not eat the stuff he eats and to stick with my diet!! I have all my meals planned. But he'll come home with pizza. While I eat my veggies. How do i not just eat the pizza too?!?! Does anyone else have their significant other not on a diet? Tempting them? What do you do to resist?

Unless there is a really big difference in height, he is either far more active than you are, or he is not eating anywhere close as much as you think he is, if you manage to count everything he eats. So:
    solution 1) Increase your physical activity, this will give you more calories to eat
    solution 2) Limit your calorie consumption for the rest of the day, when you know you are eating together later, so you can both enjoy whatever you are used to eating
    solution 3) Eat a small amount (like 1 slice of pizza) and add a salad to your meal
    solution 4) Talk to him, and explain how you do not feel ready to resist temptation, so he should discuss with you before bringing treats at home so you can plan ahead, or he should try to eat such things when he is not home (e.g. lunch at work)
  • KatelynnFluffToFit
    Options
    My guy is the same way, and eating what he ate is probably what helped me gain some weight >.< but I definitely second what other people are saying and just limit yourself to how much or eat, or maybe have one day a week where you eat whatever you want as a treat day (I know that's helped me get through some cravings/ having pizza in my face)
    Good luck!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ...and now I want pizza
  • gracepostie
    Options
    ...and now I want pizza

Hahaha I know right!! I'm sorry
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    I eat pizza every day (or close to it) and I'm down 45lb. If you want to lose weight eat at a deficit. If you want to be healthy, eat a varied diet and eat less nutritional items in moderation. But there is no reason you have to be strict with anything (not even calorie counting).

Thank you!!!! :) I always thought in order to loose weight you had to be strict on yourself and suffer. Hahaha

Nope. It's all about portion control. Log your pizza, and watch your calorie count for the day. (Eating lots of salad vegetables helps fill the stomach)

Related story ... my wife likes to cook. She didn't want to change what/how she cooks. I said "fine ... cook what/how you want, just note or let me note everything you put into the dishes, then I can figure out the appropriate portions sizes that fit into my meal plans".

Then, everyone was happy ... she got to cook/eat what she wanted, I got to eat her (very good) cooking, in appropriate portion sizes. Over time, she did tweak things per some of my requests/suggestions to help me balance my macros better, but in reality she didn't have to make any drastic changes to accommodate me.

I'm sure you can work out something similar with your BF's pizzas and other selections.
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have a lot of advice on this subject! That's because we've al been there! It's rare that two people in the same household have the exact same caloric needs and food likes. We just learn to adjust around it, either with portion control or substituting healthier choices. It's not that I/we don't want those mashed potatoes or pizza... It's just that we've decided we want what's best for us more then we want that "stuff"! I changed my eating patterns to a sustainable lifestyle about a year ago, lost 35 pounds and have maintained my weight since May of last year. I eat pretty much everything, but with portions control as long as it fits in my daily calorie range. If it finds, I can have it... If it doesn't fit, I don't eat it. It's just that simple. Would love to chat with you about how to make this happen for you. Friend me so you can see my diary or PM with questions. I'm open to help others feel as good as I do without depriving myself of anything!
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My husband is trying to gain weight.

I make a regular dinner for my family. I just eat less of it and more salad. I just try to prelog and make sure everything fits into my calorie goal.

I also try to eat lighter during the day so that I can eat a regular dinner with my family. It is easier to prepare my own lunch than to prepare more than one dinner!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My dh and teenage dd do not need to lose weight at all. Their calorie needs are different from mine. I am not on a restrictive diet. I eat most of the same foods they do just the right portion size for me. Pre-logging helps me to figure out what I can fit in my goal and if it is worth it.
    I tend to fill my plate with more vegetables or skip the cheese, rice, bread, etc if it doesn't fit my goal that day.
    If we are having pizza I eat 1-2 slices with a salad. It fits my calorie goal just fine.
  • zoeybleepbloop
    zoeybleepbloop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well, imagine my boyfriend who is doing a bulk for his bodybuilding at the moment... And has been bulking for some time now, too. He's one of those types who's always been super skinny and has had trouble keeping weight on. BUT lucky me, I'm a vegetarian and he isn't. He loves ALL meat dishes and I can't eat a single one because they're not veggie. Perfect!

I do sometimes have trouble with the chocolate bars and bags of chips that he tends to buy, though...
    Whatever we eat, I portion mine out, and I put it on top of a big huge pile of plain salad greens. Typically this works for nearly anything. Don't even need dressing. Stew, spaghetti, I'll even cut up a single slice of pizza and put it on a big huge pile of salad greens. It's like filler that adds volume and fiber and I don't feel like I'm being slighted with my teeny tiny portion because my plate still looks huge and takes a long time to eat. I just keep one of those boxes of salad greens around 24/7 for this. May not work for everyone, but maybe someone will find that useful!

This is great advice! I have actually done this and it works great. Works with broccoli, too!

Glad it helps! I think the key for me is that when you cover the salad greens with your desired food, you can't really see the greens, and in my head I just think "I got hella lotta food. Yesss." When I put the salad on the side, I think "I have a tiny pile of food and this stupid salad."

It's all jedi mind tricks for me.