Orangetheory

Options
1235»

Replies

• aperz1
    aperz1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think it's difficult in these forums to convey thoughts as clearly as you think you are in your mind. And the tone in which you intend to deliver them. I got the messages loud and clear and I intend to buy a scale. I think we can safely put this to rest. Thank you to all. Especially those who were kind.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    aperz1 wrote: »
    I really don't think weighing my food is feasible or the answer. I have a good idea of portion control.

that right there is your problem.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone has said. Calories in vs Calories out is weight loss/gain. Thermodynamics is a fundamental law, and if you have gained weight you ARE in a caloric surplus. This is as set in stone as the earth is round or that objects that have mass have gravitational attraction.

So, why are you in a (small) caloric surplus is the question. Some possibilities (in order of probability):

1) Eating more than you think - 4lbs over 4 months is a very subtle change in weight. A couple extra grams here of this, and a couple extra here of that (which you couldn't necessarily detect even if you were trying to measure out cups) easily could account for this difference. 10g of fat would be adding an extra 90 calories each day, and would be almost completely undetectable to the naked eye.

Add up all these across the day and who knows. Yes, you're eating within 300 kcal +/- what you think you are averaging, but there is solid uncertainty there, MORE than enough to account for the weight gain.

2)This depends on exactly how much your workouts are. If you're slaving away at 2 hour workouts this doesn't apply, but many people when they work out compensate unnoticed afterwords and in between by being more sedentary or even less fidgeting than usual. This difference in NEAT could also create that subtle difference in calories we are dealing with.

3)Your scale has gone off calibration and is now reading higher even though you weigh the same.

4)Your body is able to violate the laws of physics that govern the universe.

No real other possibilities. If you're burning more than before (highly likely, but not 100% guaranteed), then the only remaining possibility is that you're consuming more food than you were before.

What's the solution? Probably what everybody else said, grab that food scale and verify. If, after a few weeks you've dialed in at 1500 kcal and weight is still constant/rising, then reconsider #2. 99% chance #1 is the culprit.

PS: Finding time to weight food is not hard. It takes for sure less than 60 seconds to weigh food for a given meal. Often it takes about 10 seconds.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I really don't think weighing my food is feasible or the answer. I have a good idea of portion control.

Yeah this is the problem. Get a food scale.
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I get it, but cups equate to ounces to milliliters to grams. It's the same.

Actually, no. Volume measurements do not equate to weight measurements.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    OP, if you are a creature of habit, it won't take long to weigh out and pre-package your favourite meals. Then you aren't weighing everything at every meal.

See this as a troubleshooting exercise. You don't know if calories are the answer, and measuring your food for a month will let you know for sure if this is the issue.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have the containers and they just equate to measuring cups.

To echo what everyone else said accurate tracking is key. I am a huge fan of using a food scale but I have a coworker that uses the those containers and has success with them.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think it's difficult in these forums to convey thoughts as clearly as you think you are in your mind. And the tone in which you intend to deliver them. I got the messages loud and clear and I intend to buy a scale. I think we can safely put this to rest. Thank you to all. Especially those who were kind.

Looking forward to your inevitable newfound success as a result...

...and then you can join the chorus preaching the good news of measured consumption in the forums.

You can even be one of the "kind" ones if you choose...

...whatever that means.

(Food for thought: perhaps those you interpreted as being unkind just struggled to clearly convey their thoughts? Or perhaps you read tone into the message that wasn't actually there?)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I used to think I knew enough about portions and healthy food to know that calories were not my problem. I too would argue with people when they gave me advice I didn't like. Then I realised that if I respected them people whose opinions I was asking enough to ask them, then it seemed kinda dumb to not at least give their advice a try. As it turned out they were right.

OP. Stop being so resistant. If you really do want help at least be willing to give the advice a shot. EVERYONE here is giving you the same advice. Get a scale and use it. What do you have to lose besides the weight you gained doing it your way?

• schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    OP. Stop being so resistant. If you really do want help at least be willing to give the advice a shot. EVERYONE here is giving you the same advice. Get a scale and use it. What do you have to lose besides the weight you gained doing it your way?
    I got the messages loud and clear and I intend to buy a scale. I think we can safely put this to rest. Thank you to all. Especially those who were kind.
  • aperz1
    Options
    As I said I would I have already purchased a scale AND used it.
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    How did it go?
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    In the same amount of time it will take to put food into pretty-colored tupperware, you can have that container on a food scale and actually know how much you are eating.

If you don't want to use a food scale, you don't have to. But it is the only way to get a reasonably accurate picture of what your numbers are. You can weigh for a couple of weeks and see if your calories are what you think they are, or you can keep trying out ways to estimate and not know for sure what's going on.

My food scale sits on my counter, and I put whatever container or plate I would use anyway on the scale and then measure out my portions. Takes approx 3 seconds more time. Easy peasy.

Correct! Nothing hard about keeping the scale on the counter and weighing everything. I would tend to CRAM containers. You can't cram a scale....
  • aperz1
    Options
    How did it go?
    How did it go?[/quote
    It was easy. Honestly the only thing I weighed was dinner, my edamame pasta. I had just gotten it this afternoon.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Good show!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You'll gain weight as your muscle mass increases... have you noticed a change in tone? as for the 1% increase in body fat, how are you taking the measurement? are you just basing it off your weight increase? Or are you having your BMI taken?
  • aperz1
    Options
    I had it done with a bod pod.