The 5:2 diet does it work?

Options
Hey Everyone

I am starting the 5:2 diet this Monday and I am wanting to get feed back from everyone who has done it before.

Your advice/help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Do come and join us in the special group we have!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

Lots of people with various experiences. Like any approach, it suits some people more than others, but it's a good one to have a try of (doesn't cost you anything, no special foods required)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There are two 5:2 groups on here - well worth joining.

"Does it work?" - like any adherence tool if it creates a sustainable calorie deficit over an extended period of time it will work. It is designed to be a slow and steady weight loss regime.

The adherence part is very personal - some can't stand it, some love it. There's also some people who shouldn't do it, the 5:2 website details that.

Personally I found it far easier to stick to than everday calorie restriction which I find boring and frustrating.
    Other benefits are that it made me more inventive with food choices, recognised true hunger signals better and it supported a very heavy exercise routine extremely well.

But please do it "properly" which means only restricting on the two fast days, the five days should be at maintenance levels.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    ive heard it working for people - personally cant stand it - i dont like to be hungry and this made me so hungry, I binged. I just eat at a calorie deficit every day and make sure I dont get too hungry
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Any method of creating an overall weekly calorie deficit will work if you can stick to it. If you can stick to 5:2 and it works for you, then great! If not, then try something else. The most simple method is just to stick to the calories MFP gives you.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have dieted using the 5:2 approach and also regular daily calorie deficits. I actually prefer 5:2, however am not currently doing it due to other health issues-- and I will be honest, I got a little too hard core about it and was fasting too often-- dont do that! But I will say, it helped me recognize true hunger and realize that I don't need to be constantly eating, it was a test of my will power and after doing 5:2 for over a year, my ability to stay within my calorie range was at its peak. I also noticed improvements on my memory and concentration at work. I would definitely recommend giving it a try, if you don't have any of the health issues listed on their website.
  • AylaStryder
    AylaStryder Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm using this, I find it quite effective, Its a good test of willpower I feel I could stick to it long term everything Emily says is on point with my experiences.