Intermittent fasting for women

Options
Anyone have any results from this? I would like to try this out and see how I do.

Replies

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 because I'd rather eat two bigger meals than 3 smaller meals. It helps me stay in a deficit and I've steadily lost weight. It is natural for me to skip breakfast and I can see myself maintaining this for the rest of my life. It works for me but not everyone will like or do well with IF. It wouldn't work for my hubs, for instance, who starts feeling shaky if he misses a meal.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 as well. It's just a method of keeping on deficit. Been doing it since late Sept and I've lost 9.5lbs and inches. Reached my goal weight today. I've lost a total of 17 lbs but the weight loss was much more linear and predictable with IF.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I adore 16:8 but am giving 5:2 a try because it fits really well with my schedule right now.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I found that I couldn't manage 5:2. Now I zig-zag my calories differently. Here are links to the groups...lots of info there

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet
  • kaysday
    kaysday Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    yep I do 20:4 lost 50 pounds
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I lost the bulk of my weight doing 16:8.

I failed at 5:2. My maintenance days quickly turned into surplus days.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I did 16:8 for a while, but didn't have a ton of luck (but, I had a little). I stopped, though, when I started working out before work. I need to have a little something before my workout, and didn't want to stop eating at 2pm.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I do 16:8 as well. It's just a method of keeping on deficit. Been doing it since late Sept and I've lost 9.5lbs and inches. Reached my goal weight today. I've lost a total of 17 lbs but the weight loss was much more linear and predictable with IF.

I've noticed my weight loss is more linear as well.. Weird!
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds last year doing 18:6. I also maintained the last 1/3 of the year by doing 18:6 without really logging or anything. I needed a break, but now I'm back to lose the last 11 pounds.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I gave it a go at 16:8 for 3 weeks. I would wait until 1 pm after my workout to eat, and then be done eating at 9 pm. I was losing weight pretty steadily (7 pounds in 3 weeks), but by the end I was having some concerning issues. I starting having episodes where my legs would get numb and weak/dead feeling and I would get kind of dizzy and have to sit down, and I was having headaches and feeling shaky a lot. I attributed it to blood sugar instability. Plus my weight gains started to drop off. I stopped the IF and those symptoms have completely stopped. Bottom line - it's not for everyone.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Beautiful_Warrior94 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    What is 16:8?
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    Wait never mind I feel stupid
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do 20:4, I was using it to maintain but now I'm doing it with a deficit. Makes it really easy to eat 1200-1400 calories a day when you only eat dinner.
  • mef1107
    mef1107 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wait never mind I feel stupid

Don't feel stupid, I didn't know either, I had to google it to see what the heck everyone was talking about
  • mef1107
    mef1107 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm not sure about 20:4
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    mef1107 wrote: »
    Now, I'm not sure about 20:4

I believe it's where you fast for 20 hours and only have a 4 hour eating window. Am I correct?

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Yeah thats correct, bit extreme, and can easily lead to binging issues, but if you can handle it, theres no reason why it's unsafe.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    My husband and I skip breakfast 2 or 3 days a week which makes it a 16 hour fast. We eat what we want afterwards. It seems to work out to 2 normal meals that day. This was recommended for Type 2 diabetes blood sugar control (recommended by doctor) and with a lower carb diet, it is working to lower his blood sugar. I am a natural breakfast skipper so this mild way of IF doesn't bother either of us. It does seems to help the weight drop too, but slowly.
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    so if you were to do 1 of these how do you decide ratios? ie 20;4 , 16:8 ect? are these the only ratios? and is one better that the other? can you make up your own ratio ect? this is just curiosity if anyone can enlighten me :)
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    pyrowill wrote: »
    Yeah thats correct, bit extreme, and can easily lead to binging issues, but if you can handle it, theres no reason why it's unsafe.

:) Yeah I didn't just wake up one day and decide to go 20:4* out the gate. I believe I went 14:10 then 16:8 and then 18:6 and only after that became like nothing did I move to 20:4.

* For those asking yes it means you fast 20 hours and then have a 4 hour eating window. Right now I cease eating at 8:30PM and do not consume calories again until the next day at 4:30PM.