What do YOU do when you fall off of your routine and gained weight back?

Options
Jeanine_Colavecchi
Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
What do YOU do when you fall off of your routine and gained weight back? You see the scale and are just in this deep dark place feeling so disappointed in yourself.

That is where I am at right now and was hoping to get some support or things any of you have done to get your mind out of that horrible place of defeat. I lost 50lbs about 6 years ago and have kept it off until 3 months ago, it just piled back on. I am always the encouraging friend who is everyone's motivator and inspiration for losing weight, so now I'm just sort of stuck. Embarrassed and emotionally eat at times is not helping. I did join the gym and paid for 2 years up front to get me going, but still hard.

I have PCOS and some digestive issues like gluten/dairy intolerance so that makes it difficult but just needing a small 5lb "win" to get me back at it ya know?

Any suggestions?

Replies

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Jeanine, I could have written much of this post. After losing 50 pounds and keeping it off, I've put 20 of those pounds back on over the past 6-8 months. I'm disappointed in myself, because I know but I don't do. I'm re-dedicating myself to this effort to lose weight, and to tracking and exercise.

Good luck to you.
  • ckhardeman
    ckhardeman Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    First tell yourself you can do it!!! And write a letter to yourself like you would write to a friend encouraging yourself. Sometimes we are harder on ourselves then we are to others. So only say encouraging words to yourself. Then remember how good it felt when you lost the weight and keep pushing. Feel free to add me. I have another 50lbs to go.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Start again...
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    Jeanine, I could have written much of this post. After losing 50 pounds and keeping it off, I've put 20 of those pounds back on over the past 6-8 months. I'm disappointed in myself, because I know but I don't do. I'm re-dedicating myself to this effort to lose weight, and to tracking and exercise.

Good luck to you.

You are right, its back to the basics I guess of tracking and working out. I think sometimes because its so disappointing, I overthink it and stress out. Stress =emotional eating lol

I was someone who logged everyday for 5 years, and would only fall off for a few days at the most.

Thank you for the support! We both got this! :)
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    ckhardeman wrote: »
    First tell yourself you can do it!!! And write a letter to yourself like you would write to a friend encouraging yourself. Sometimes we are harder on ourselves then we are to others. So only say encouraging words to yourself. Then remember how good it felt when you lost the weight and keep pushing. Feel free to add me. I have another 50lbs to go.

You are so right when you say that we are harder on ourselves. Especially when I am the one who is always the motivator of other ya know? It's like I'm finally putting down my ego and raising my flag...and saying help! haha

Writing a letter of encouragement to myself is a good idea, thank you for this :) I'll add you too!
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you on this! I previously lost 35, then gained 60+. I peaked at 230 lbs on a 5'3" petite frame! After all that happened, I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and later on, hypothyroidism. The last two years have been a struggle of losing/gaining the same 5-10lbs. I think my hormones are finally at a balance level. This will be my "__th" time trying to get back on track. (Lost track trying to count!)

Every day is a fresh start! Instead of looking for the "5lb" push, how about looking for that half lb shift? Then comes the next half lb, etc. Every small step counts! And there's always non scale "wins!"

Have you tried any classes at your gym? Find something you like and go as often as your schedule allows. You'll start to see the same people and make friends. That will help with accountability and the social atmosphere will help! Do you have a friend to go work out with you otherwise? How about your spouse? Mine has offered to go on the same diet and also push us to go to the gym at least every other day. We both work stressful jobs. It's hard to get the energy some days, but as long as we're moving, that counts for something.

With the dietary restrictions, my current food regimen is loosely based on whole30 (75% "clean"). I can't afford the super expensive stuff, so I do what I can with what we have here in my market. I love to cook so I try to make things as interesting and flavorful as possible with different cuisine influences.

Please feel free to add me!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track and continue. What else is there to do other than wallow in self-pity and continue gaining?
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Oh you can do this for sure! Maybe given your health situation you need to consider a wider range of weight, say 10-15 lbs, as part of your maintenance band. You may always bobble up and down in that zone & reframing it will eliminate unnecessary guilt and shame.
    And for me, I always go 'back to basics' when I think I've wandered off course. Tight tracking. If I've missed workouts I try to figure out why. Maybe I need a new routine. Maybe I need to cut something that isn't working and expand something that is. (I've recently had to abandon 100k steps a week which made me sadsadsad; but with the time change, the holidays, and El Niño weather I have to be reasonable. 75k steps a week is a better goal now. I can bump up later. I'm adding Friday nite Zumba to take their place.) Anyway, don't waste time on the recriminations. Be curious! Ask yourself questions! Be a sleuth. But stay on the case. xoxoL
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    dzlilo wrote: »
    I totally feel you on this! I previously lost 35, then gained 60+. I peaked at 230 lbs on a 5'3" petite frame! After all that happened, I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and later on, hypothyroidism. The last two years have been a struggle of losing/gaining the same 5-10lbs. I think my hormones are finally at a balance level. This will be my "__th" time trying to get back on track. (Lost track trying to count!)

Every day is a fresh start! Instead of looking for the "5lb" push, how about looking for that half lb shift? Then comes the next half lb, etc. Every small step counts! And there's always non scale "wins!"

Have you tried any classes at your gym? Find something you like and go as often as your schedule allows. You'll start to see the same people and make friends. That will help with accountability and the social atmosphere will help! Do you have a friend to go work out with you otherwise? How about your spouse? Mine has offered to go on the same diet and also push us to go to the gym at least every other day. We both work stressful jobs. It's hard to get the energy some days, but as long as we're moving, that counts for something.

With the dietary restrictions, my current food regimen is loosely based on whole30 (75% "clean"). I can't afford the super expensive stuff, so I do what I can with what we have here in my market. I love to cook so I try to make things as interesting and flavorful as possible with different cuisine influences.

Please feel free to add me!

OMG you are so similar to me! Thank you!

I do have a girlfriend that I helped lose weight last year that has done great and now she is going to the gym with me to help support me back=awesome friend. That helps. My husband is totally supportive and encouraging. I have insulin resistance too and I do grain free/Paleo...pretty similar to the whole30 I think. No dairy/grains/bad sugars/etc. I totally am an big foodie and love cooking healthy versions of "bad" food...thats usually what helps me stay on track. Maybe we can share some recipes? I have a bunch!

Great advice on classes, I was thinking of starting with the yoga one at Xsport . Like I said, I paid for 2 years up front, like $500.00, just to get my butt in gear haha

You rock, thank you.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track and continue. What else is there to do other than wallow in self-pity and continue gaining?

Exactly correct.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    For me personally the best thing I can do is figure out why and tackle that. I can keep doing the yo-yo thing over and over if I don't figure out what happened along the way it will never stop.

For me it's stress. I handle stress by eating more because I view food as a comfort. And I still do, but I'm aware of it and focus on not letting it get out of hand.

So short answer (for me anyway) is behavior management. Becoming aware of yourself.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Oh you can do this for sure! Maybe given your health situation you need to consider a wider range of weight, say 10-15 lbs, as part of your maintenance band. You may always bobble up and down in that zone & reframing it will eliminate unnecessary guilt and shame.
    And for me, I always go 'back to basics' when I think I've wandered off course. Tight tracking. If I've missed workouts I try to figure out why. Maybe I need a new routine. Maybe I need to cut something that isn't working and expand something that is. (I've recently had to abandon 100k steps a week which made me sadsadsad; but with the time change, the holidays, and El Niño weather I have to be reasonable. 75k steps a week is a better goal now. I can bump up later. I'm adding Friday nite Zumba to take their place.) Anyway, don't waste time on the recriminations. Be curious! Ask yourself questions! Be a sleuth. But stay on the case. xoxoL

Thank you for this! Being more realistic in your goals so you aren't overwhelmed or fall off I think helps.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs and now I've gained back 40lbs after an injury that I used as an excuse to eat like i did when I was my fattest. Going back at it now because I signed up for a Spartan Beast and if I don't train and get back to where I was, it will destroy me...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start logging your food everyday, no matter what.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

+1
  • stranger2310
    stranger2310 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Jeanine,

I've put back on about 30lb over the past few months. I kept saying to myself, 'oh, it's the holidays' and 'I'll wait until the new semester starts at university', but then I thought to myself - why not now? Nothing's stopping me from starting. I know how good it feels to see the number on the scale going down or fitting into a new clothes size. It's just about hitting the ground running: so start now. Like, this second. Start tracking again if you use MFP. Climb the stairs a few times or go for a walk/jog around the block if you don't want to go to the gym. Just do something, and it'll all fall into place.

Most of all, know that you can do it and you will do it. You've done it before, so why not do it again? Have faith in yourself!!!

Best of luck! x
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You have two choices.

Continue as you are, feeling miserable.

Or recommit and take a step back in the right direction.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    I lost 100lbs and now I've gained back 40lbs after an injury that I used as an excuse to eat like i did when I was my fattest. Going back at it now because I signed up for a Spartan Beast and if I don't train and get back to where I was, it will destroy me...

Wow, 100lbs is committment and shows you will never give up! Inspiration, keep it up!
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    You have two choices.

Continue as you are, feeling miserable.

Or recommit and take a step back in the right direction.

Like a fork in the road! Good way to look at it, I'm typically a positive person that doesn't sulk in misery. This gain just hit me hard, Thanks for the bluntness :)
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    Hi Jeanine,

I've put back on about 30lb over the past few months. I kept saying to myself, 'oh, it's the holidays' and 'I'll wait until the new semester starts at university', but then I thought to myself - why not now? Nothing's stopping me from starting. I know how good it feels to see the number on the scale going down or fitting into a new clothes size. It's just about hitting the ground running: so start now. Like, this second. Start tracking again if you use MFP. Climb the stairs a few times or go for a walk/jog around the block if you don't want to go to the gym. Just do something, and it'll all fall into place.

Most of all, know that you can do it and you will do it. You've done it before, so why not do it again? Have faith in yourself!!!

Best of luck! x

Right before you said this, I logged and even updated my gained weight...which is hard when you see "50lbs lost". Thank you!