you will always be fat...

Options
I read in a runner's world article that when have been overweight you will always be overweight or you will always worry about being overweight.
In my personal experience this realization is dead on. I was overweight, lost much of my overweight, and when I stopped worrying about weight I gained it all back.
It seems like we are all doomed to worry about our weights for the rest of our lives, which is not too bad, compared to the alternative.

Do you agree? what's your take?

Replies

• AtomicDarling
    Options
    I think for me that's why my ultimate goal is not to lose weight but to live a healthier lifestyle for the rest of my life. Although weight loss would be a fantastic perk, it's not my only reason for doing all of this.

If I can make a permanent change then hopefully I can break the cycle. :)
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    You can stop worrying once you make exercise and eating healthy a part of your life. For those that gain it back, they did not make that change.
  • Dee1006
    Dee1006 Posts: 37
    Options
    That is actually one of my goals. I don't want to exercise to just lose weight, but to try and make it as natural as brushing my teeth. That is why it is better to view this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. Which is also why I like to switch up my activities so I can keep challenging myself and not get bored.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but it won't get you anywhere. The Buddhists have a saying if a problem has a solution then you don't have to worry and if a problem does not have a solution then worry will not help you.

I would say that if you find something that you like to do which is healthy you will have an easier time working it in to your schedule. For me it was going for walks and runs with my wife. Eventually it just became a habit and then it was a natural part of our routine. Over time you find yourself looking forward to the next time you get to do it. You won't be overweight because of it and you won't have to worry at all. I think that is a much healthier way to look at it.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Totally...How easy is it to gain it all back. We have all been there. 5 off, 7 on, 6 off, 10 on, and so on. I swear, it is almost easier for a person to get off drugs than for someone to lose weight and KEEP it off. This site helps a lot though, so I am staying here for my 12 step program.
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    I think that is a really negative way of looking at things. I would rather focus on the positives of losing weight.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree, I want to feel good and have energy, and the ony way I can achieve that is by eating healthy and working out. But, sometimes I eat too much healthy, so the scale may stay the same but I will still fee good.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I know two very small girls (5' 1", size XS). They are NOT fat, and they're always worrying about how they're not skinny enough!! One of them has some muscle tone on her calves, and she wants to lose the muscle so her calves will be skinnier.

So this isn't exclusive to people who are actually overweight. Either you find a healthy lifestyle you enjoy, or you'll be doomed for life, whether it's being overweight or constant worries.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I think that is a really negative way of looking at things. I would rather focus on the positives of losing weight.

I totally agree with this!! But I think for most people having to focus on healthy eating and making an effort to get some sort of physical activity will always be something that they have to be mindful of. It is kind of stereotypical to think that skinny people don't ever have to worry about what they eat or how much they work out. I'm sure none of the Victoria Secret models have ever been overweight but they are always have to be conscious of what they eat and how much they work out.
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    In my personal opinion a lot of people when trying to lose weight are trying to fix the consequences of their life styles instead of actually changing the root cause of why we are getting overweight. While losing weight it's important to actually learn and gain healthy eating habbits and hopefully exercising habbits as well. Then nothing is going to be a problem/
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

All the positivity in the world can't change your genetic predisposition to being over weight. You pretty much have to make conscious food decisions from the point when you hit your goal weight on as our metabolisms are not the same as people that are predisposed to being skinny.
  • HadraPriestess
    HadraPriestess Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree. Staying on point w/ a healthy diet and a fitness routine that makes you happy AND healthy is where it is all going on!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you began your life either having bad choices made for you and then making bad choices for yourself, You will always go back to what you know. Therefore you have to make a choice, either change to a healthy lifestyle or be a yo-yo dieter.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think for me that's why my ultimate goal is not to lose weight but to live a healthier lifestyle for the rest of my life. Although weight loss would be a fantastic perk, it's not my only reason for doing all of this.

If I can make a permanent change then hopefully I can break the cycle. :)

EXACTLY!!
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with everyone else here. I've been overweight for most of my life, but after my 28th birthday I knew I needed to make some serious changes in my life. Not just to lose weight, but to gain control over my life period. I've been at this lifestyle change for almost a month and I can honestly say I see my attitude about food and about exercise totally different than I did before. It's amazing to see that my positive attitude has helped me lose the almost 15lbs I've lost so far.

This sight is such a useful tool as well. It's such a wonderful community here. People understand your goals and are there to support you. If you really want to just lose weight to lose it, then you're doing it for all the wrong reasons. You have to change your outlook on food. It's okay to go out to eat and eat a piece of pizza, but don't eat it every day or every week even. I noticed so far for me, I think about what I'm going to eat before I actually eat it now. Depending on what I ate yesterday and if I'm going to be doing any extra activities later on in the day. There is a time and place for every kind of foods. You just have to think about it.

So I do not believe that I am doomed to be chunky my whole life. I do believe that through my journey I will become healthy, and to live a life that I always wanted. That is my goal. So that 25 years from now I'm still hiking and riding bikes and when I have kids to be able to do the activities that they love.

You just need to stop thinking about getting skinny, and start thinking about changing your life for the long run. If you do it that way, you won't have to be worried about gaining weight.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    It's animportant topic and thanks for posting it. It can certainly be true, and likely would be for most people who are coming fromt hat place. Ironically it's that fear of being fat again that takes so many people back to that place. Changing our bodies and maintaining that healthier version ulttimately comes down to reprogramming one's self image. In my experience (persoanl and as a tfirness consultant) once a person updates that image the changes are lasting. Embracing the new you is very empowering. Love the freedom of the new lifestyle! For some people the changes are easier, for those wou need support here are many guided meditation and hypnosis products to help with reprogramming.
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    do you have the link to the article?
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I read in the actual magazine but I looked it up here http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-243-297-519-13846-0,00.html
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It's the same as quitting smoking. I quit 3 years ago and I still think about it sometimes. I think about it much less, sure, but every now and then I hear, "I could really use a cigarette" pop into my head, before i say to myself, "Uh, we don't do that anymore, remember?" And then the urge goes away. It's the same with being overweight. I still feel fat sometimes even though I'm at my goal weight and the thinnest I've been since high school. The way I feel inside does not always reflect what is in the mirror.

The flip side of this, however, is that most of the time I DO feel confident because I CAN look into a mirror and see how much progress I've made. I worry less and less every day. So, yes. I will always be worried about gaining the weight back, but the more I exercise and the stronger I get through strength training and the more natural it is to work out every day... the less I will worry, because even if I have that pastry one day a week, I'll have the tools to counteract the negative impact that at one time might have derailed me for weeks.

It becomes just a pastry that I can run off later today and it stops being, "well, I had that pastry, so I might as well have a cheeseburger for dinner". I no longer think like that and that's it's own accomplishment.
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    I read in the actual magazine but I looked it up here http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-243-297-519-13846-0,00.html

Thank you for the link to the article. I found it to be an incredibly good read and may even subscribe to the magazine (or visit the site more). It's the freaking story of my life, and I find comfort in it that I'm not the only one. Ahh, thank you!