Question about calories

Options
Is it okay to be 100 under when on a deficit?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Every day or once in awhile? What is your current calorie allowance, 1200?

Short answer - it depends. Need more info.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I was going to say yes but then I'm going to say maybe because @quiksylver296 has a valid point.
  • ladywishingstar
    ladywishingstar Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My intake is like 1240, but i dont want to eat snacks tonight to make up about 100 calories. My dinner wont cover the rest.
    also yes, only once in awhile i meant :)
  • AshleyKay85Middleton
    Options
    I have this same problem. and I don't want my calorie intake to be as high as what is recommended on here? Is that okay to say that? Or unhealthy to say that???? Would really like to know how to change my calorie intake level that's listed on this site, but I don't know how. I'm new to this fitness pal. . . . . any help?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    My intake is like 1240, but i dont want to eat snacks tonight to make up about 100 calories. My dinner wont cover the rest.
    also yes, only once in awhile i meant :)

Your normal intake is 1240 or today it is 1240, with 100 uneaten calories?
    Normally it is okay to bank calories or be a little under some days, but eating under 1200 regularly isn't a great idea.
    Some people do alternative day fasting without issues which might mean 0 calories some days. Some people "bank" calories by eating low some days and higher on others such as people that do a lot of weekend social eating.
  • ladywishingstar
    Options
    Go into goals, you can change calorie restrictions.
    Also, everyday is 1240. I will be below that unless i really need to eat something extra
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad. Why would you ever want to eat less than 1200 calories? Personally, I refuse to go below 1850. Lost 40lbs doing it, too.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    If you're eating well the rest of the time and meeting reasonable macros, 100 under occasionally isn't going to hurt. If you do need a few calories, nuts and seeds take up little space but they're calorie-dense.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad. Why would you ever want to eat less than 1200 calories? Personally, I refuse to go below 1850. Lost 40lbs doing it, too.

Agreed. Op what are your stats? Why are you eating so little?
  • ladywishingstar
    Options
    Weight- 150
    Height- 5ft 1 inches
    Activity- sedentary to a bit over
    I eat this because of the fact I keep gaining weight when I eat above this much... Overweight runs in my family and im honestly trying to avoid it. I would work out but that requires more calories and i have no idea what is right to do it because all the suggestions come from body builders, not people who have low muscle mass to work with
  • ladywishingstar
    Options
    Another thing I should mention. I notice I do eat ALLOT of carbs, I try not to but my family uses foodstamps to get by, so usually things like potatoes, bread, ect are cheaper and are often given allot by food help places.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Another thing I should mention. I notice I do eat ALLOT of carbs, I try not to but my family uses foodstamps to get by, so usually things like potatoes, bread, ect are cheaper and are often given allot by food help places.

There is nothing wrong with eating carbs. The only thing with carbs is they are calorie dense, so you have to be fairly accurate when logging as small inaccuracies can add up. If I log 100g of broccoli and actually eat 150g, not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. If I log 100g of mashed potatoes and eat 150g, much bigger dent in my deficit.

It is unlikely that you gain weight eating over 1200 calories, you are more likely eating more than you think if you aren't weighing your food. But if you are 5'1" and sedentary with low muscle mass, your maintenance calories will be relatively low.

Do you have access to a gym? I know you say all the advice comes from bodybuilders, but if you have low muscle mass, lifting weights is exactly what you need to build more! Pick a good beginner program like Stronglifts 5x5, start with low weight to make sure you can maintain good form, and work your way up. :) If not, even body weight exercises can help build muscle. There are programs like You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning that I see recommended on here often.
  • sarahamattie
    sarahamattie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just make wise decisions and you will be fine. Some days, you just aren't hungry anymore after you've hit 1140. Some days, you are famished at 1300 and will eat more than you would. It all balances as long as you are wise.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Eating 100 calories under occasionally isn't bad, just as eating 100 calories over occasionally isn't either.

A tablespoon of peanut butter would be a really easy way to take up that deficit and add some protein to your day as well...
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    100 calories is probably within any reasonable margin of error.

If you're not really hungry, just forget about them.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Weight- 150
    Height- 5ft 1 inches
    I eat this because of the fact I keep gaining weight when I eat above this much... Overweight runs in my family and im honestly trying to avoid it. I would work out but that requires more calories and i have no idea what is right to do it because all the suggestions come from body builders, not people who have low muscle mass to work with

What I'm getting from everything you say is that you're simply eating more than you think you are, which happens to many of us. Have you been weighing your food to ensure the portions are right? And exercise would be great for you. It will require that you eat a bit more....yeah, but as long as you're sure you're eating the right amounts you'll be fine.

As far as carbs go, they aren't the devil they're made out to be. I know I'm being redundant, but as long as you carefully measure you can eat the foods that are available to you and lose weight.

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Just make sure not to go under 1000, as that is the absolute minimum for female person, anything under that would be starving yourself.
    And if you're not feeling hungry, don't eat snacks just to get to your goal. As long as you hit your mark most of the days you should be fine.
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Weight- 150
    Height- 5ft 1 inches

As far as occasionally having an extra 100 calories at the end of the day, I don't see anything wrong with it. If you're not hungry and ate healthy meals the rest of the day, I don't see the need to force yourself to eat them.
    As far as the exercise is concerned....do what feels right for you! Go take a brisk walk around the neighborhood or a jog. Do some squats and push ups (modify them if you have to). Get some water bottles (filled with water) and use those as weights.
    I too am 5'1'' and was overweight about 4 years ago. I was pushing 200 pounds and started with walk/jogging. I could barely run for more than 45 seconds at a 4.5mph pace but I kept at it and the weight slowly came off. Once I felt more comfortable in my skin I started doing simple weight lifting and squats/lunges. On google/pinterest you can find simple at home work out routines that use your body as opposed to weights.
    Everyone has to start somewhere, so don't let the fact that you have low muscle mass stop you from trying something!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Once in a while, being under 1200 isn't a problem.
    As a frequent thing, unless you're really short (under 5', so being under 100 lb would be
    healthy for you), don't do it.

This calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine will tell you calories and how many servings of
    various foods to eat to maintain any weight.
    Put in your healthy goal weight, or play with the weight to get the BMI between 18.5 and 24.9,
    then eat what it shows.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

As far as using SNAP, here's a cookbook put together to help SNAP (food stamp) recipients make the
    most of the small amount they're given. Yummy healthy recipes, great photography, a nice departure
    from the usual bland government output.

https://8e81c55f4ebf03323905b57bf395473796067508.googledrive.com/host/0B2A2SnkA9YgxaHdzbEhGSmJOZDg/good-and-cheap.pdf

Getting lentils or dried beans is also cheap, and will give healthy carbs (fiber).
    Also fresh veggies (onions, carrots) will go with those, and some brown rice &/or barley, and you'll
    have a delicious, nutritious, filling stew.
  • ladywishingstar
    Options
    I measure my food and weigh it, so no, overeating is not what is making me gain weight when I reach over the 1200-1300 calorie mark. I think my metabolism is out of whack. Or my anti depressants are making me put on weight because as soon as i started them, thats when i noticed the gain...

Also, thank you everyone for the helpful information :)