Weight Lifting

Options
Hello. I am currently training for a half marathon, running 4 days a week, and will be going to 5 once it gets closer. I want to start adding in some weight lifting but don't know where to start...any suggestion?

Replies

• 0murtagh0
    0murtagh0 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bench press- 10 reps of 10kg then 8 reps 12kg then 5 reps 15kg then 2 reps 20kg
  • 0murtagh0
    Options
    remember the bar ( if Olympic is around 15kg so start with that first.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    0murtagh0 wrote: »

This is so random...what?

I am always hesitant to offer lifting advice to those who are training for marathons and the like, because their goals are different than mine and it seems like they weight train differently. I assume starting with a program like SL 5x5 would be good.
  • 0murtagh0
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I am always hesitant to offer lifting advice to those who are training for marathons and the like, because their goals are different than mine and it seems like they weight train differently. I assume starting with a program like SL 5x5 would be good.

How is it random? Elaborate on why you find it random?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Olympic bar is 20.4 kg btw
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I agree that a beginner program would be best. Strength training can benefit all people . maybe start by looking at nrol or stronglifts
  • arditarose
    Options

OP asked for a way to get started on strength training. A program, or advice on where to look would be helpful. Not throwing out reps and weights for a bench press/single lift.
  • 0murtagh0
    Options
    Its called a Pyramid weightlifting go read
  • 0murtagh0
    Options

depends what size
  • arditarose
    Options

So why not explain the whole program? And why you believe pyramid training is the best for a beginner?
  • 0murtagh0
    Options

So why not explain the whole program? And why you believe pyramid training is the best for a beginner?

Why wouldn't a bench press be good for a beginner? Yeah ok you could give her advice on squats and dead lifts but she might injure herself from bad form so logically a bench is a good starting point.
  • arditarose
    Options

Why wouldn't a bench press be good for a beginner? Yeah ok you could give her advice on squats and dead lifts but she might injure herself from bad form so logically a bench is a good starting point.

So OP she start with only bench pressing. What kind of program is that? C'mon.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Its random because you suggested one lift with suggested weight amounts knowing absolutely nothing about the OP except they're training for a half-marathon. Its not a lifting program, so yeah, its kinda random. lol

OP- I personally don't have much advice except a lot of the "beginner" strength programs involve lots of squatting, probably not ideal for someone who's also running 4-5 days a week. You can adjust that however as when I cycled a lot instead of 5x5 heavy on squats I did lower weights/higher reps. But I don't know if that was the best way to do it, I was very noobish at that point.

Hopefully others with more experience will chime in, but this looks like a fairly logical approach to lifting for someone who's doing a whole lot of running and wants to incorporate some strength training.

furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/16_oct2324.pdf

• 0murtagh0
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options

lol

:smiley:
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Aresende90 wrote: »
    Hello. I am currently training for a half marathon, running 4 days a week, and will be going to 5 once it gets closer. I want to start adding in some weight lifting but don't know where to start...any suggestion?

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

http://stronglifts.com/strength-training-for-women/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xxfitness/comments/27wt9n/women_and_stronglifts_5x5_conversation/
  • Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I will do some research on all your different suggestions. I do have the NEw Rules book. I made it to stage 2 but found it to get pretty boring pretty quickly and lost interest.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting as in just lifting weights or the colloquial weight lifting referring to Olympic lifts?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Because it's one lift. Just one. That's hardly a well rounded routine.
    It's not even a lift that translates to her sport (running).

You also have no idea what her strength levels are so to prescribe specific weights and reps is a really bad idea.

And also, yes, pyramid training is more for intermediate lifters in my opinion. Beginners need to learn proper form and build some strength before trying a routine with heavy 2-rep sets.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Lol glad someone else caught this...