Weight Lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Warchortle wrote: »
    Weight lifting as in just lifting weights or the colloquial weight lifting referring to Olympic lifts?

Yes just lifting weights.
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    0murtagh0 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Its called a Pyramid weightlifting go read

So why not explain the whole program? And why you believe pyramid training is the best for a beginner?

Why wouldn't a bench press be good for a beginner? Yeah ok you could give her advice on squats and dead lifts but she might injure herself from bad form so logically a bench is a good starting point.

Because it's one lift. Just one. That's hardly a well rounded routine.
    It's not even a lift that translates to her sport (running).

You also have no idea what her strength levels are so to prescribe specific weights and reps is a really bad idea.

And also, yes, pyramid training is more for intermediate lifters in my opinion. Beginners need to learn proper form and build some strength before trying a routine with heavy 2-rep sets.

I am a petite girl, 4'10 100lbs. I like to think I'm not weak, but all of my strength is in my legs. I need to work on upper body, and core. I would like to lean out my thighs though!
  • Luna99999
    Luna99999 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started lifting with NROLFW. The authors just released a new book called "Strong", which I've read but not done the program. It's more progressive than NROLFW (you start with goblet squats rather than back squats) and is updated based on how research has changed since NROLFW was published. There are at least 2 NROLFW facebook groups that are helpful for motivation, getting questions answered, etc.

From NROLFW groups, I learned about Strong Curves, which contains several different programs that are full body, but emphasize glutes. I ended up joining their online coaching program, Get Glutes, and really love it. You get 4 new strength workouts every month, which you might like if you get bored easily. I don't really care all that much about glutes, but I like getting feedback from the coaches, involvement in the online community, and new workouts every month. There are runners in the community who say the glute training really helps their running performance. All that said, it's an ongoing cost versus just buying a book ($25/month or $200/year).

If I were you, I would try Strong first. Then if you find you really enjoy lifting and want to invest more $, consider Get Glutes or another online coaching program where there's a variety of workouts.

I don't have personal experience with running and weight lifting. If your focus is running, maybe only lift 2-3/week especially right before your race and adjust the intensity of the workouts based on how you feel. Like if you find squatting is affecting your runs, maybe skip it until after your race or drop the weight down.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Aresende90 wrote: »
    Hello. I am currently training for a half marathon, running 4 days a week, and will be going to 5 once it gets closer. I want to start adding in some weight lifting but don't know where to start...any suggestion?

I didn't see it mentioned so here is my recommendation. (I trained for a half-marathon two years ago and here's what I did.)

Find some lifts that will compliment or enhance your running. I found that strength based programs were counter productive when it came to improving my endurance for running as it added to the recovery time.

I focused more on isolation type exercises with a higher rep scheme and lower weight to build muscular endurance.

• bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Something else to look into is "You Are Your Own Gym" YAYOG for body weight training. I've used this while training for a half.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am currently training for a half marathon, running 4 days a week, and will be going to 5 once it gets closer. I want to start adding in some weight lifting but don't know where to start...any suggestion?

My approach is a bit different than many here: I complement my shorter runs with brief (10-15 min) routines with hand and ankle weights at home. @jmule24 commented that some exercises with weights can impede marathon training and I feel this, too. These short workouts are nice for overall muscle work without a ton of planning and time, but you'll really see results, especially if you are lean. There are a gazillion to choose from, but a couple of my faves: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/10-Minute-CrossFit-Workout-Weights-Video-28267312
    http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Superset-Workout-Video-36316807
    Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Then you think you'd know how much an Olympic bar weighs and what a programme is, wouldn't you?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Warchortle wrote: »
    Weight lifting as in just lifting weights or the colloquial weight lifting referring to Olympic lifts?

Yes just lifting weights.
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Its called a Pyramid weightlifting go read

So why not explain the whole program? And why you believe pyramid training is the best for a beginner?

Why wouldn't a bench press be good for a beginner? Yeah ok you could give her advice on squats and dead lifts but she might injure herself from bad form so logically a bench is a good starting point.

Because it's one lift. Just one. That's hardly a well rounded routine.
    It's not even a lift that translates to her sport (running).

You also have no idea what her strength levels are so to prescribe specific weights and reps is a really bad idea.

And also, yes, pyramid training is more for intermediate lifters in my opinion. Beginners need to learn proper form and build some strength before trying a routine with heavy 2-rep sets.

I am a petite girl, 4'10 100lbs. I like to think I'm not weak, but all of my strength is in my legs. I need to work on upper body, and core. I would like to lean out my thighs though!

Get a programme
    Books
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women ..or the new one Stronger

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Bench press- 10 reps of 10kg then 8 reps 12kg then 5 reps 15kg then 2 reps 20kg
    remember the bar ( if Olympic is around 15kg so start with that first.

I do pyramids, but when I started again in October after not having lifted regularly for a while, my starting weight was 5 pound dumbbells. What you suggest is way too much weight for a female just starting a weight lifting program...and one lift is not a program.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I will do some research on all your different suggestions. I do have the NEw Rules book. I made it to stage 2 but found it to get pretty boring pretty quickly and lost interest.

I found the same thing with NROLFW. I switched to Stronglifts 5X5 and much happier. I am not a runner though, so don't consider this advice. I just wanted to say that that there are other programs out there you may find better suit you.

All the best on your half marathon training.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I've been "doing this" since before you were born and calling your advice random was very generous.
    You may have a contribution to make but work a little harder than throwing out one lift please!