There are 'BAD' foods

Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I support the notion that some foods are unhealthy.
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Since these discussions always go to the extremes, let me ask this.

If there is a starving child that hasn't eaten in 3 days, are there any foods that are bad for them?
    To be honest, my answer is yes. At my church, we pack food for kids at the local elementary school who have little to no food to eat on the weekends. Because of the nature of this undertaking (most of the food is processed and packaged), most of the food they're getting from us is low in nutrients. They're getting fed from a macronutrient standpoint, which is the most important thing, but that food is not doing much good from a micronutrient standpoint.
    So foods like potatoes in a can aren't a good source of micronutrients? Canned beets? You can always request more micro dense items from your sources. Maybe come up with a list of more micro dense foods for these kiddos and your halfway to your issue.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Beefing With the World Health Organization's Cancer Warnings

A new ruling on processed meat shows how confusing the organization’s classification scheme is—again.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/10/why-is-the-world-health-organization-so-bad-at-communicating-cancer-risk/412468/?utm_source=SFTwitter
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here we go again...

Nope. Wrong. The only food that is bad is spoiled food. You can make bad decisions over eating. Dyes, chemicals are additives that you should avoid..Too much of anything is bad. Again its about choices.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I also never speak or think of eating such foods as being naughty or being bad. I think of them as making choices. Sometimes I chose to eat more than I should. It is neither a good nor bad choice. It is just a choice.

No. Eating more than your should on a regular basis is a bad choice.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    There aren't any bad foods as a blanket statement, but there are bad diets or foods that are bad for your particular case.

If I use your words and say "I could spend all or most of my daily calories on kale but at what cost to my health?" and it would still apply. Substitute kale with any other food and no matter how amazing it is, it would not provide you with the all of nutrients you need unless it's a part of an overall nutritionally balanced diet. In this case your diet is bad, even though it consists of one of the most nutrient rich foods on the planet. On the flip side, a person who has a diet which contains all or most of the needed nutrients, but happens to have an ice cream every day is said to have a good diet. Just like very few dieters live on kale exclusively, very few live on cookies and ice cream exclusively. You are basically building a strawman.

I like to look at dieting holistically. That ice cream which you consider bad is actually one of the best things for my diet. It keeps me sane and helps me continue losing. Cookies make me feel like I'm not dieting. They give me joy and make my diet less stressful. Without including all of the foods I love in my diet I wouldn't have been able to continue. So are these foods good or bad in my case?

Skim cheese doesn't satisfy me. It makes me want to eat more and it tastes bad. It makes me feel like I'm giving up something better and settling for less. In a sense, it's bad for me and bad for my diet even though it's lower in calories.

Also, how does adding a couple of ingredients to something suddenly turns it from good bad? Milk is "good", eggs are "good", custard is baaaaaaaaaad just because sugar was added to these ingredients. Somehow adding sugar makes the calcium, protein, vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin D and all the other nutrients go poof.

We need to stop looking at foods through absolutes. When you call something "naughty but nice" you are essentially giving it the power to be more desirable than it really is and to be perceived worse than it really is. "Forbidden fruits" are more desirable than any old fruits lying on the counter. Last year we had a cucumber shortage and they became very expensive, and do you know what happened? The humble cucumber that used to rot in the bottom of our fridge suddenly became hard to obtain. We drove for hours trying to find a store that sold it because my sister decided she was craving cucumbers, when she barely even looked at them before. We bought a kilo, and ate it all in one setting as if it was the last kilo of cucumbers on earth.

In the past when I had the "good" and "bad" mentality and it caused me to overeat high calorie foods. If I had a candy bar, I considered my diet ruined and the "screw it" syndrome kicked it where I continued to stuff my face with all kinds of foods that I considered bad. After changing the way I look at food, I now can safely say "no thank you" to a piece of chocolate if I didn't feel like it, and can get very excited about barley soup. To me, food has two labels now: foods I feel like eating right now, and foods I don't feel like eating. No single food has the power to "ruin my diet".
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods, only bad feelings.

There are foods that will negatively affect your cholesterol levels, mental clarity, blood pressure rates, energy levels, and general biological health- particularly if they comprise the majority of your diet.

However, if you "eat food, not too much, mostly plants" then no single food that you add to your day is really "bad," you might have bad feelings about it because of your associations, but it's not going to kill you.

If foods that negatively affect your biological health are at the forefront of your diet, then yes, regardless of your weight, your health will be poor.

I do think there are bad food corporations, who create what can arguably be referred to as "products" rather than food, but...I just don't think viewing individual foods as bad is particularly helpful for anyone's mentality.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    All food is good. I don't discriminate. Especially donuts and steak. Mmmm
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

If there is a starving child that hasn't eaten in 3 days, are there any foods that are bad for them?
    To be honest, my answer is yes. At my church, we pack food for kids at the local elementary school who have little to no food to eat on the weekends. Because of the nature of this undertaking (most of the food is processed and packaged), most of the food they're getting from us is low in nutrients. They're getting fed from a macronutrient standpoint, which is the most important thing, but that food is not doing much good from a micronutrient standpoint.

So "nothing" is healthier than energy without micros? That makes zero sense.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Here we go again...

Nope. Wrong. The only food that is bad is spoiled food. You can make bad decisions over eating. Dyes, chemicals are additives. Too much of anything is bad. Again its about choices.

Not always about choices it would seem...

i.e. The 2008 Chinese milk scandal was a food safety incident in China.

The contamination of milk and milk products with melamine – an industrial chemical used in fertilizers and plastics. Melamine, because it is rich in nitrogen, can be used to disguise milk that has been watered-down by fooling tests for protein levels. Consumed by humans it can produce kidney stones and other potentially fatal conditions, especially in children.

China reported an estimated 300,000 victims in total. Six infants died from kidney stones and other kidney damage with an estimated 54,000 babies being hospitalized.

But wait obviously this was a mistake right? Think again...

A high-profile government investigation found that top Sanlu officials had known about the milk contamination and its health effects since late 2007. Despite complaints from consumers it took no action to highlight the issue or improve its product.

The scandal though was not limited to Sanlu alone. Subsequent inspections found melamine in milk products from 21 other Chinese producers – or one in five.

At the time the head of China's food quality watchdog said milk products had not been previously tested for melamine because no-one had even considered the possibility that it might be added in the first place.

But the government had itself played a critical and direct role in the development and proliferation of the melamine contamination. Meanwhile, officials at both the local and national level collaborated either actively or passively in covering up the growing scale of the crisis.

A number of criminal prosecutions were conducted by the Chinese government. Two people were executed, one given a suspended death penalty, three people receiving life imprisonment, two receiving 15-year jail terms, and seven local government officials, as well as the Director of the Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ), being fired or forced to resign.

At the time a spokesman warned the milk contamination was "clearly not an isolated accident", adding that the case had been "a large-scale intentional activity to deceive consumers for basic, short-term profits."

Food for thought, maybe?

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP I'm with you. I'm not going to pretend that a Keebler cookie is not 'bad' food. Doesn't mean I won't eat it, doesn't mean I feel guilty about it either (as long as I only eat one or two), but I'd be in denial if I didn't realize that there could be better choices.

• suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    There are no bad foods, only bad feelings.

There are foods that will negatively affect your cholesterol levels, mental clarity, blood pressure rates, energy levels, and general biological health- particularly if they comprise the majority of your diet.

However, if you "eat food, not too much, mostly plants" then no single food that you add to your day is really "bad," you might have bad feelings about it because of your associations, but it's not going to kill you.

If foods that negatively affect your biological health are at the forefront of your diet, then yes, regardless of your weight, your health will be poor.

I do think there are bad food corporations, who create what can arguably be referred to as "products" rather than food, but...I just don't think viewing individual foods as bad is particularly helpful for anyone's mentality.

I did have a high cholesterol, high blood pressure problem but because I have drastically reduced the 'bad' [doctor's word] food both are now down to normal.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

So foods like potatoes in a can aren't a good source of micronutrients? Canned beets? You can always request more micro dense items from your sources. Maybe come up with a list of more micro dense foods for these kiddos and your halfway to your issue.
    That would be an option, though right now we have specific food types and items to provide for them.

Hornsby wrote:
    So "nothing" is healthier than energy without micros? That makes zero sense.
    No. The way I see it, they're healthier with the food that they're being given (as opposed to no food), but the specific foods themselves are not all that healthy. In other words, it's like a continuum. No food is the worst, some food is better, but a solid foundation of mostly nutrient dense foods is what I call truly "healthy" for them.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    OP I'm with you. I'm not going to pretend that a Keebler cookie is not 'bad' food. Doesn't mean I won't eat it, doesn't mean I feel guilty about it either (as long as I only eat one or two), but I'd be in denial if I didn't realize that there could be better choices.

This is exactly what I mean
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here we go again...

Nope. Wrong. The only food that is bad is spoiled food. You can make bad decisions over eating. Dyes, chemicals are additives. Too much of anything is bad. Again its about choices.

Not always about choices it would seem...

i.e. The 2008 Chinese milk scandal was a food safety incident in China.

The contamination of milk and milk products with melamine – an industrial chemical used in fertilizers and plastics. Melamine, because it is rich in nitrogen, can be used to disguise milk that has been watered-down by fooling tests for protein levels. Consumed by humans it can produce kidney stones and other potentially fatal conditions, especially in children.

China reported an estimated 300,000 victims in total. Six infants died from kidney stones and other kidney damage with an estimated 54,000 babies being hospitalized.

But wait obviously this was a mistake right? Think again...

A high-profile government investigation found that top Sanlu officials had known about the milk contamination and its health effects since late 2007. Despite complaints from consumers it took no action to highlight the issue or improve its product.

The scandal though was not limited to Sanlu alone. Subsequent inspections found melamine in milk products from 21 other Chinese producers – or one in five.

At the time the head of China's food quality watchdog said milk products had not been previously tested for melamine because no-one had even considered the possibility that it might be added in the first place.

But the government had itself played a critical and direct role in the development and proliferation of the melamine contamination. Meanwhile, officials at both the local and national level collaborated either actively or passively in covering up the growing scale of the crisis.

A number of criminal prosecutions were conducted by the Chinese government. Two people were executed, one given a suspended death penalty, three people receiving life imprisonment, two receiving 15-year jail terms, and seven local government officials, as well as the Director of the Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ), being fired or forced to resign.

At the time a spokesman warned the milk contamination was "clearly not an isolated accident", adding that the case had been "a large-scale intentional activity to deceive consumers for basic, short-term profits."

Food for thought, maybe?

Are you in China?? And where did you copy and paste this bit of information? This is about chemicals added to food as I had already mentioned
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Why would a Keebler cookie be a "bad" food if you've eaten a balanced diet all day, are within your calorie goals, have hit/come reasonably close to your macro goals, and are having that cookie as a snack because you have room under your calorie limit for it and it sounds good at the moment?

Context and dosage. No such thing as bad foods, but there is such a thing as a bad diet/eating habits overall. A Keebler cookie, or a bowl of ice cream, or a Big Mac or french fries or whatever aren't "bad" within the context of an overall balanced diet. Subsisting mostly or entirely upon those items would be a bad idea, just as subsisting entirely upon a diet of broccoli or kale or fresh fruits or chicken would be.

Driving through a school zone at 40 mph at 7:30 am on a weekday would be bad. Driving through a school zone at 40 mph at 1:00 am on a Saturday wouldn't carry the same risks. Context.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The only bad foods I know of:

-Burned food
    -Spoiled food
    -Plastic food used for photography props
    -Food that has done crime.
    -Food that tastes awful to me
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not in China, Australia actually. But If you type in 2008 Chinese milk scandal you will find a plethora of links. I perused several including Wikipedia (Ugh) I know. I was just trying to illustrate that humanity is indeed capable of selling what I would consider "bad" food or products either through ignorance or in this case because of profit. I seem to recall Nestle doing something similar decades ago, selling tainted baby formula in Africa.

You can't just assume that because it has passed approval and made it to the shelves it is somehow without risk.

ETA: You may have mentioned additives or chemicals (FYI:Everything is chemicals) but the people subjected to the horror of watching their children die or get sick were buying a product deemed safe not the chemical which was knowingly added for profit.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Why would a Keebler cookie be a "bad" food if you've eaten a balanced diet all day, are within your calorie goals, have hit/come reasonably close to your macro goals, and are having that cookie as a snack because you have room under your calorie limit for it and it sounds good at the moment?

Context and dosage. No such thing as bad foods, but there is such a thing as a bad diet/eating habits overall. A Keebler cookie, or a bowl of ice cream, or a Big Mac or french fries or whatever aren't "bad" within the context of an overall balanced diet. Subsisting mostly or entirely upon those items would be a bad idea, just as subsisting entirely upon a diet of broccoli or kale or fresh fruits or chicken would be.

Driving through a school zone at 40 mph at 7:30 am on a weekday would be bad. Driving through a school zone at 40 mph at 1:00 am on a Saturday wouldn't carry the same risks. Context.

Having a Keebler cookie or two a day doesn't make a bad diet, but it doesn't mean that a Keebler cookie is a healthy food. Some food are just better for you than others (more nutrients, vitamins, etc). Not too sure why some people don't want to admit that. *shrug*

But I don't feel like arguing about this for 100 pages, just wanted to tell OP that I agree with her.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    I need some foods to be 'bad' - if everything was good I'd never lose weight.

This is a different issue from your OP. I don't consider food good or bad. I will sometimes make choices based on what my goals are, such as eating chicken breast because my protein is low, or a steak because protein and iron are low.

I feel that by labeling foods it's too easy to allow that to become personal. I ate a bad food, therefore I suck at dieting. It becomes a spiral of guilt and shame around food. This isn't the case for all people, but I have seen it often enough to know it happens.

queenliz99 wrote: »
    The UK Government has just labelled ALL processed meats, including bacon and sausages as being dangerous to health [cancer causing] so how can they not be bad?
    Gosh, IDK, bacon has fatty acids I need?!? It tastes really good and what cancer will I get by eating it or increase a likelihood of XXXX cancer? Colon? Can they tell me where it will begin in my body? Any idea where or what primary organs it will go to? The problem with statements like this 'cancer causing' is always fascinating to me. And while I'm American, bangers and mash is heaven on Earth with a Bass Ale. If I am going to die due this glorious combo of foods....I'm okay with it.

Sorry OP; if you need to use labels have it. I'm just eating for fuel to do stuff. I would say things like stress have a greater impact on health then almost any combo of food consumption.

Bowel cancer

I think this has been 'known' for a while, seared meat, etc comes to mind. Moderation probably helps; if I eat 2 pounds of sausage daily and sit around like 3 toed sloth then maybe it increases my likelihood of cancer. Then again....

Three toed sloths are cute! I want to be one in my next life ;)

dr4h74izuzsk.jpeg
    woo hoo! Love the pic.....and in my next life I want to move faster then a turtle(terrapin) ;)

I thought you were trying to get there in this life. Might improve your reincarnation status :tongue: