Can't stop eating something when I wake up during the night

Options
Does anyone do this and found a solution?

Replies

• johnboy916
    johnboy916 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a glass of water instead to help you feel full. I'm guessing this is more of a habit than the fact that you're hungry. Do you eat a snack before bed?

This has worked for me. I used to wake up and eat something chocolaty. Now, I pound a tall glass of water..... self-discipline. Be strong. :#
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal like? Are you eating enough during the day?
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Protein helps me stay fuller longer. If I need a snack It's probably going to be protein based.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Why not just keep some calories back for it?
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you! The support is a tremendous help! I am a vegetarian and I think my protein may be a little low plus I think its a habit I just can't sleep well at night and it seems to settle me to eat something. I will go with the water when I wake up and I'll increase my protein a little bit and I will try to stay disciplined thanks for the support!!! I was very fit three years ago I was riding my bike 20 miles a day an average of 11 to 20 miles per hour and I was going to the gym and I was in my best shape then I moved to New York and lots of challenges and got out of shape and quit going to the gym and started eating bad it's really a lot of work to try to get things turned around again!
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Thanks again I tried to answer all of you individually but my phone is malfunctioning please add me as a friend thanks and good luck to everyone!
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Why is it so difficult ? why do I feel that I can do this and then I bring something sweet home and I eat at all feeling i can't say no ? Why do I have a good day and then suddenly everything falls apart?
  • johnboy916
    johnboy916 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    More than likely, its because you love food. As do I. At some point, you will have to accept what you want. It isnt easy having one of the best things in life (food) restricted........ i know this next statement is cliche. If you want it bad enough, you will overcome.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    A lot to think about you're right. Appreciate the advice. Thanks. Very tough to do. Not sure why food has such a hold on me. At one time ice cream got do old in my freezer from not eating it, I had to throw it out. Now I can't leave it alone and devour an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    A lot to think about you're right. Appreciate the advice. Thanks. Very tough to do. Not sure why food has such a hold on me. At one time ice cream got do old in my freezer from not eating it, I had to throw it out. Now I can't leave it alone and devour an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting.

Buy a smaller container or go out for a single serving :) I understand this could be harder to do if you live with people that do prefer to have it in the house

For midnight, recently whenever I wake up and want food, instead I prepare something for lunch. Another option is a small glass of wine, or I just try to come up with something that isn't too many calories <100 preferred. Depending on how sleepy and tired I am, many a night I have fallen back asleep dreaming of all the nice things I could make :)
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    One good thing its just me and my Siamese cat so I don't have a lot of extra issues to deal with regarding other people eating.
    also I think a lot of it is I'm just not settled not exactly sure sometimes the urges are really strong and I feel it's hopeless and I just cave in would appreciate any advice out there on how you manage strong cravings and manage how not to give in. I am new to using the community and I am blown away by all of the encouragement and support here I appreciate all of you and I'm here to support you as well. I'm pretty independent and I've been trying to manage this all on my own but just from the outpouring of support and how healthy it feels I realize that having encouragement and support is very beneficial. Thanks everyone.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    When a strong urges hit, I just give up I'm tired of them I want them to go away I want to be stronger I don't want to have to deal with it anymore. It should not be so difficult. Is this normal?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    When I first started it was normal to me until I got over my pity party...pulled up my big girl panties and realized those panties could be a size smaller if I quit feeling sorry for myself.

Occasionally I forget and have another party...I try however not to show up at my own party.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Beautiful. Excellent point! Thanks. I am overloaded with guilt feeling terrible about how much I failed excellent point thanks.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    But as most will tell you here it's much more than discipline willpower and feeling sorry for yourself it's a very complicated issue and many of the issues run very deep I'm all for counseling when you have a very difficult time losing weight because of the underlying issue that's preventing you from getting it done.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I was afraid that I might offend...get censored...get reported...get one of those "you have been bad" warnings but I am just in one of those moods this morning so I went for it.

We have all been there...at least I have. It gets better...at least I hope so for my sake. I am down to the last 20 - 25lbs after having lost 75lbs and I keep booking the party room. Add to that for health reasons I am having to go low sodium and I am border line about to hang those party decorations up.

I am trying to regroup this morning...pull up those not as big as they used to be girl panties and get my act together.

Good luck!
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Congratulations on your 75 Pound weight loss..... excellent work good job.... I'm not so sure why such a difficult battle can't stay with it for some reason lacking motivation and being a gourmet cook and love cooking doesn't help however, hopefully I'll get things turned around thanks have a great week I found no reason to censor you or report you. If are stable we can handle a great and constructive criticism pep talk. Again congratulations you've done a great job!
  • saralthrash
    saralthrash Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    johnboy916 wrote: »
    More than likely, its because you love food. As do I. At some point, you will have to accept what you want. It isnt easy having one of the best things in life (food) restricted........ i know this next statement is cliche. If you want it bad enough, you will overcome.

That's my motivator! I try to remind myself how badly i want to reach my goals and that a treat is only a moment of satisfaction!

I wake up in the early morning hours and sometimes, half asleep, I walk into the kitchen and grab a small sweet snack! I didn't realize so many people struggle with late night hunger. I'm definitely trying the tall glass of water next time temptation strikes!
  • saramatthews919
    saramatthews919 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Water as many have said is the best solutions
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat most in the morning (for energy/work), but I *want* to eat at night. What works for me (90% of the time, anyway) is to eat a snack late (8:30-9:30) and tell myself it is my last little treat for the night. It is always something sweet, because that's my weakness, but it's also pre-logged and accounted for. I usually have tea or water with this snack and stay full until breakfast.

You might also consider relaxation techniques before sleep. I usually take a long bath (because my water's free at the apartment), do a half hour or hour of yoga, and read a chapter of my book before bed. I also limit computer/screen time 2 hours before bed. Having a soothing, repeatable bedtime ritual is important for falling asleep and staying that way. If you stay asleep once you've fallen asleep, you won't wake up and eat.