for those of you who don't like to hear "buy a scale and weigh"

Options
12345679»

Replies

• MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to know by my how I feel what's appropriate amount to eat. It's really interesting to tune into my body and know. Yesterday according to the database, I ate turkey in a portion that was ok. However, when I was done, I knew, knew, knew that something was off-kilter. I simply felt too full.

Sure enough, I gained a couple of ounces. No big deal. Now I know, for sure, my stomach knows the truth!

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Excellent points! And, once you have weighed every little thing days and days and days and days, you are pretty much a food ninja when you are forced to eyeball servings on a hike or at a restaurant. I love the little ritual of weighing out my plate at home...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    GWehsling wrote: »

Also, if you don't have a 'tare' function, you can leave an empty bowl on the scale before you power it up, it should then auto calibrate with the bowl to 0g. Anything you add after that is ingredient weight.

However, if you haven't bought a scale yet, the 'tare' function is a huge time saver.

Two basic techniques that turned it into a quick process for me:

For things like salads or stews, tare the bowl or pan. Add the first ingredient, record it, tare again. Add the second ingredient . . . etc., until the salad is done.

For things from jars, like peanut butter, tare the jar (lid off). Dip out your portion. Read the amount (it will be a negative), record as positive calories. (You know you're going to lick the spoon ;) !)

So much quicker than measuring, so much more accurate than eyeballing!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Weighing really doesn't add any extra time for me, and at least I know exactly how much I'm eating rather than guessing. Also in baking, specifically bread and such, accuracy is key. So yeah, the food scale and I are bffs. I also weigh out my son's sippy cups to make sure he's getting the right amount of milk every time.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A big difference maker for me is knowing WHAT to weigh.... I guesstimate things like lean meats... Being off half a serving of lean turkey lunch meat won't make a huge difference. I guesstimate or ignore lettuce and vegetables.... They don't add up to much even in large quantities. The oil you fry your vegetables in matters more than the vegetables. I pretty much weigh all my carbs/grains and oils/dressings. So if I'm cooking say a chicken stir fry.... I'll maybe guess 50-100 calories for the veggies... Eyeball a fist size chicken breast for 6 ounces... And weigh the oil I cook it in and weigh the rice I pair it with.... Takes no time and works for me.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I used a $5 scale from eBay for years and recently upgraded to a fancy one I can also use for shipping because it goes up to 11lb, but there was nothing wrong with the other one.

I like weighing my food. I don't know how people accept "one serving" as a measurement.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    I personally don't understand how some get by without a scale.

I lost the first 26.8 of the 30.5 I've lost since October without a scale. (I had an old analog spring scale that I used maybe once every 2 weeks; I lost the last 2.7 lbs with a digital one.) My rate of loss has not changed since I got a scale.

It's easier (brainless) with a scale, but, it's really not that hard without. A 3 oz serving of cooked meat is about the size of a deck of cards. A 1 oz cheese cube is about an ounce. Play with pourable items in measuring cups. Once you know what they look like spilled out into in a variety of containers, it is pretty easy to make a relatively accurate guess about the size of your serving of oatmeal, peas, cheerios, yogurt, etc. Always estimate low.

Since I'm not going to whip out the scale every time I'm eating away from home, estimating the size of portions is skill that is pretty critical to long term loss/maintenance.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have steady lost weight without using one. I have one on my counter, and I tried it. Despite measuring cups I was already measuring right. If I stall out I'll give it a go, but for the moment it is more hassle than it is worth, plus I seldom eat much at home, both my jobs feed me. Are they a great tool that have a place in weight loss? Of course! Are they necessary for everyone? Nope.
  • simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Please listen to the people who are telling you that. The people telling you this have experience and have been through something you are starting with and/or struggling with.
    I myself was pretty hesitant to weigh my food (and I even had a scale already) I mean screw that its gonna take up soon much time I can't be bothered with that. Well I can't be bothered with being fat so I guess pick your poison? I don't have much weigh to lose (15-20 lbs) so because of that my deficit is small and needs to be precise. About 3 weeks ago I began to weigh things and it changed my life. I steadily lose, get to eat WHATEVER I WANT TO EAT, and now I'm actually pretty obsessed with weighing. There is also this magical button called "tare" so you don't need to ever weigh things separately... even making a sandwich takes the same amount of time.
    Listen to these people and if you really want to lose is weighing food really to much to handle? If so then you are not ready.
    Appreciate the advice, take the advice, listen... they are right and you are wrong. Why? Well their weight loss is proof enough for me.

Same here. Short, female, over 40, so my deficit is small. I finally bit the bullet and bought a scale.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't weight all of my foods on a scale, but I do measure ingredients with measuring spoons and cups, etc. I have a little spring scale that I might use to weigh fruits or oddly shaped cheeses or meats. Mostly I just google "How many calories in...?" and it comes up, then I just multiply that by however many I'm eating.

For example: "How many calories in a large peeled shrimp?"
    Answer: 10-11
    If I eat 6 shrimp, then that's 60 - 66 calories (I'd probably put in 65, because I like my numbers to end in 0 or 5...I'm weird).
    If I cook them in oil or marinate them, I'll measure out how much I want to use (1 tbsp EVOO = 120 calories).

So 6 large shrimp cooked in 1 tbsp EVOO = 185 calories if every drop of that oil is consumed.

Is a scale necessary? Not really. Is it useful and practical? Sure. I guess it just depends on how exactly exact you want to be in your measurements!
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I use an Ozeri (bought from Amazon) and love it. However, I don't weigh everything. I use it more for bulk buying for our large family, because things like ground beef I will buy a massive amount, weigh it out in 1 lb increments, and vacuum seal it for the freezer. Same for chicken and pork, except those I do by portions.
  • dkingdom1
    dkingdom1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This post is spot on! Weighing keeps me accountable, although because of relatives coming over, I've been sloppy with the scale. However, it's taught me what certain portion sizes look like and made me ditch the cereal lol.

I notice when I don't weigh my food, I find it very easy to overeat (and very easy for me to just grab anything I want). And when I don't weigh, I'm more likely to crave high calories bombs.
  • Dayofthebread
    Dayofthebread Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I find it pretty easy and weigh most of my food, but especially things like cheese, PB etc things were a few grams difference really add up. I don't always bother with salad or certain veggies though.