Anybody getting addicted to weight lifting/boxing?

Options
I think I found my new love! Seriously, I love weight lifting and boxing! It relieves so much stress and pressure in everyday life, and I feel great afterwards. I also started Kenpo Karate in October which I also do with it. I'm 52 I wish I would've started this years ago... but better late than never! When I go to Bodybuilding.com its gives me inspiration to keep going forward with it.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I wish we would stop throwing "addiction" around here like it was a good thing. Just because you enjoy something a great deal, and that something makes you feel better and you often don't feel as well when you do not partake in that something, does not mean you are "addicted".

You are not "addicted" to weight lifting/boxing. It may be something you like a great deal and engaging in it makes you feel better/good, and not doing so may have you feeling less than optimal, BUT you are not "addicted" to that activity.

Hopefully, you will never be addicted to something and, then, know the difference.
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Modern Dictionary

addicted |əˈdiktid|
    adjective

•physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects: she became addicted to alcohol and diet pills.

• enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity: he's addicted to computers.

ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from the obsolete adjective addict‘bound or devoted (to someone),’ from Latin addict- ‘assigned,’ from the verb addicere, from ad- ‘to’ + dicere ‘say.’
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    So it's accurate and in the right context a good thing.
  • pondee629
    Options
    I respectfully disagree with the second usage. The dictionary does not proscribe the definition of a word but merely describes how a word has been/is being used. Addiction is a serious problem and should not be marginalized.
  • punkeson
    punkeson Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think I found my new love! Seriously, I love weight lifting and boxing! It relieves so much stress and pressure in everyday life, and I feel great afterwards. I also started Kenpo Karate in October which I also do with it. I'm 52 I wish I would've started this years ago... but better late than never! When I go to Bodybuilding.com its gives me inspiration to keep going forward with it.

Well done, it's fantastic that you've found something you love, and its never too late to start something new!
    Have fun x
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree with the second usage. The dictionary does not proscribe the definition of a word but merely describes how a word has been/is being used. Addiction is a serious problem and should not be marginalized.

Bet you're fun at parties.

C'mon man, you know that the OP is just trying to express their new found love for something, not belittle an alcoholic's struggle. Have a word with yourself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    I wish we would stop throwing "addiction" around here like it was a good thing. Just because you enjoy something a great deal, and that something makes you feel better and you often don't feel as well when you do not partake in that something, does not mean you are "addicted".

You are not "addicted" to weight lifting/boxing. It may be something you like a great deal and engaging in it makes you feel better/good, and not doing so may have you feeling less than optimal, BUT you are not "addicted" to that activity.

Hopefully, you will never be addicted to something and, then, know the difference.

I used to self-medicate with food, alcohol, and other substances and behaviors and am noticing similar patterns with exercise. I'm ok with that.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My fiancé and I lift weights 5 days a week and love it. We are ADDICTED!!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

C'mon man, you know that the OP is just trying to express their new found love for something, not belittle an alcoholic's struggle. Have a word with yourself.

Srsly...every time that guy posts my eyes roll so hard I see brain matter.

Glad you found something you like, OP! I love lifting, too.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hmmn I clicked this thinking there was actually a weight lifting/boxing routine. Like lifting weights at the same time as boxing :D

Anyway I do enjoy lifting. And I do Krav Maga as my cardio. I bought a heavy bag and mounted it in my basement so I can practive my Krav techniques and commit them to muscle memory. But a good 30 minute heavy bag session is just what the doctor ordered for some good stress relief.

Yes and in the context the OP used it's perfectly within it's second definition. Relax a little...

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Srsly...every time that guy posts my eyes roll so hard I see brain matter.

Glad you found something you like, OP! I love lifting, too.

Ignore feature works.
  • pondee629
    Options

Then it would be easy enough to express a "new found love for..." rather than addiction.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Then it would be easy enough to express a "new found love for..." rather than addiction.

Addiction doesn't have to be a bad thing.. Just because people struggle with really horrible addictions doesn't make the word bad. It is really ridiculous that we always have to walk around on egg shells.
  • GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It relieves so much stress and pressure in everyday life, and I feel great afterwards. ..... I wish I would've started this years ago... but better late than never!
    Agree with you wholeheartedly, OP. Much less costly than a therapist ;) and the improvements to my physical appearance haven't been so bad either :)

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Agree. Geez, what a way to rain on someone's parade, esp. as a public throwdown on an online post.

And, "addition TO X (exercise)" or "TO Y (drugs)" defines how addiction can be interpreted.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

dictionary
    [dik-shuh-ner-ee]

noun, plural dictionaries.
    1. a book, optical disc, mobile device, or online lexical resource (such as Dictionary.com ) containing a selection of the words of a language, giving information about their meanings, pronunciations, etymologies, inflected forms, derived forms, etc., expressed in either the same or another language; lexicon; glossary. Print dictionaries of various sizes, ranging from small pocket dictionaries to multivolume books, usually sort entries alphabetically, as do typical CD or DVD dictionary applications, allowing one to browse through the terms in sequence. All electronic dictionaries, whether online or installed on a device, can provide immediate, direct access to a search term, its meanings, and ancillary information:

Also, definitions change, man. I'm still perturbed that "impact" also became a verb, but I'm not butthurt about it. It was part of the ever-evolving lexicon that is the English language.

afd006d0-42fc-0133-8eb9-0e17bac22e39.gif?
  • fitnforward
    fitnforward Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I didn't know something that I found I love doing would cause so much stink!!! I didn't mean to offend anyone. Whatever the "correct" term is--- I feel Great!! Its better than staying on the couch for the past year with Lyme Disease controlling my body! A little ounce of HOPE goes a long way. Thanks for the + feedback I appreciate it! Now Let It Go ---- Thank You!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My life and thoughts pretty much revolve around when/what I'm going to lift and when/what I'm going to eat.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    People need to stop trying to dictate how someone uses a word. His usage of the word addict fits the second definition perfectly.

Congrats OP!