Have you ever been told that you don't need to lose any more weight?

Options

Replies

• sparklydeer
    sparklydeer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Loads of times! I'm 5'9 too and I'm currently at my goal weight of around 140. Whilst some people are positive about it, I do get a lot of random comments where people make me feel super uncomfortable and awkward by saying things like "You're looking really skinny!" or "you're losing too much weight", I never know what to say back to these people. I'm working hard on trying to not take it to heart, I know most people don't mean to make me feel awkward about my own decisions at the end of the day!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i do get it on occasion

what funny is i have 30 pounds to go before im in the "normal" range for my height LOLOLOL

they all mean well. i dont mind. i smile and just say ' well, i dont know about that'. like i said, they mean well and beyond the random occasional comment, i dont get any grief over it.
  • SunflowerCutie
    SunflowerCutie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    When I was losing weight rapidly, my mom would tell me I shouldn't be losing too much weight. After I explained my reasoning for my goal weight, she said I shouldn't be losing so rapidly. She was right.

When I was diagnosed with an ED, the doctor had asked me if I still thought I was fat.

When I had my physical, the GP had noticed I lost weight and said I was at a good weight for my height.

I'm 140 right now and am fine where I am. I'd just like to focus on my fitness.

Oh wow I see. That's a good thing that you're doing well
  • SunflowerCutie
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I am 5'9" as well and currently at about 153lbs, and I get it all the time. I even got it when I technically was overweight.

All you can really do is thank them for the input and concern, then change the subject. I have found that in doing so, they get bored of bringing up because I don't give them the satisfaction of offering a rebuttal.

Yeah okay.
  • SunflowerCutie
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    You deff need to lose weight and anyone saying you don't are just trying to boost your self confidence because they are worried about you.

Reality is you are fat like the rest of us and following a sensible diet of less calories consumed than your body burns will help you get to a place you are happy with.

It sounds like you want to make the effort so that's great! Just do it safely and for the right reasons.

Good luck!!!

Thank you so much :-)
  • SunflowerCutie
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    normal weight or lower? Is your goal to be underweight or am I just reading that wrong?

No just normal weight
  • HildieMe
    HildieMe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    pbprincess wrote: »
    When I am at my goal (145 at 5'7"), my family & friends tell me I'm too thin. I have more of an athletic build and at 140 I agreed that I looked sick.... People are built differently so goals do vary. I personally have no interest in being a stick person.
    Thank you, pbprincess, we are in the same boat! I recently went down to 147 (very briefly) and didn't like it that much myself, especially since I just can't maintain it. It cost too much effort... Now cruising around 153/54, looking ok, still ever vigilant...

• SunflowerCutie
    Options
    pbprincess wrote: »
    When I am at my goal (145 at 5'7"), my family & friends tell me I'm too thin. I have more of an athletic build and at 140 I agreed that I looked sick. My sister is the same height but looks amazing at 125-130. People are built differently so goals do vary. I personally have no interest in being a stick person.

Me neither. I don't want to be no stick either I just want to be healthy. I guess some people just look better at different weights but we just want to be healthy.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yep. I was 215 and got down to 119 and at nearly every weight someone told me that I didn't need to lose any more. I'm at 140 now and when I say I want to get back down to 120 people say I don't need to. My Dr on the other hand "You've gained 25 pounds in the last 2.5 years. Knock it off. Don't get back to 215."

at 5'4 120 is a good weight for me. AND at this weight I was in the best physical shape of my life.
  • SunflowerCutie
    Options
    iimitz wrote: »
    I hear it EVERY time I mention I'm on a diet or something. Everyone says how skinny I am but the fact is I'm tall and the height is deceiving when it comes to weight being stretched. I dress appropriately and it gives the illusion that I don't have a gut going on. I'm considered overweight and I have to lose about 20lbs~ to be considered not in the "overweight" category. Now, when I say what my actual weight is, they all scoff in disbelief. The end all fact to keep in your head is if you're not happy with your weight, it's up to you to manage what it is, not others. You seem to already have that mindset.

Thanks. I always tell myself it's my life not theirs.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    people were telling me that until I told them how much i actually weighed. then, they supported my goal weight. Some people still tell me to stop but I know I have 10-15 to go.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    People used to tell me that all the time, mainly my family. I think they were just so used to seeing be obese that they weren't used to seeing me at the lower weight. I still need to lose weight, but I haven't had any drastic weight loss in a couple of years, so they are all used to me at this size now I think.
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    All the time! I'm only 5ft and have quite a dainty frame so anyone who I mention weight lose to insists I don't need to lose any. I know I'm not overweight yet but I want to get back to how I used to be, it's only half a stone, before I am overweight. What's so wrong with that?
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm down to 169 from 263 and am told constantly by well meaning friends and family that I don't need to lose more. "Where will it come from??" "You'll disappear!" At 5'7" and 169 im far from disappearing. Lol. I could lose another 20-25lbs for sure. They mean well and no one has been too pushy, so it doesn't really bother me.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    My mamaw once told me:
    "You need to quit losing weight! You are getting too skinny in your face!"

I had just recently gained about ten pounds.
  • momoftwins985
    momoftwins985 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 175#, I've gotten a few times now from people who saw me at my biggest (almost 250). I'm very blunt and just grab my stomach pudge and say "No, I certainly have more left to lose to be happy" lol I think they just aren't so use to seeing me smaller and trying to give me confidence
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The only one I can think of having said anything about me losing more weight is my husband. He met me, married me and had 3 kids with me all when I was significantly heavier then I am now. At 5' 1.5", my frame is not dainty. I have a broad structure, wear large wrist bands and such, so maybe that helped 'hide' it a bit. My goal is only at the top of the normal bmi, and he was worried about that. I don't see myself getting any smaller then that, but he flat out said he does not really know what to think, but please don't lose my butt. I laughed at him and said my measurements have gone down evenly the entire time, so there is no way that is going to happen.

The funny thing about people saying its mostly family and friends...I was watching My 600lb life, and a mom was helping this one guy who had gone into a coma and come out paralyzed (turns out he had some disease that just happened to manifest during his journey). He was down to 280ish, and she was like..we gotta put some meat back on his bones, he is too skinny. Perception is an interesting thing. I think some people expect others to stay as they are always, and when they change, that creates a conflict in the mentality of others around them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No one has told me I don't need to lose weight. I carry weight in my belly area so when I am overweight I look pregnant. Most people don't think it is okay to look pregnant when you are not.
    I don't talk about my weight loss with people other than my dh. My goal weight is reasonable and healthy for me. I'm not losing a lot of weight quickly.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yep. When I was fatter and started dieting I had people tell me I don't need to diet because I'm fine (usually fat people).

My mum however and husband would say to me "you're fat". So did the mirror.

So I lost some weight and have been gaining muscles.

Now I get told I don't need to go to the gym anymore because I'm already thin and will disappear, or that I"ve already lost all I need so I don't need to diet or gym. (By the same fat people mentioned above - they are work colleagues and the occasional other person)

I don't even have a goal weight anymore - it used to be between 58-60kg. I'm in the 62s now (fluctuate all over the place) and I feel fine but am aiming to grow more muscles before I lean down a bit more.

I went from 32% BF to 20% in one year. My aim to be be at a stable 18% ish regardless of how much the scales tell me I'm weighing.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    yep. When I was fatter and started dieting I had people tell me I don't need to diet because I'm fine (usually fat people).

My mum however and husband would say to me "you're fat". So did the mirror.

So I lost some weight and have been gaining muscles.

Now I get told I don't need to go to the gym anymore because I'm already thin and will disappear, or that I"ve already lost all I need so I don't need to diet or gym. (By the same fat people mentioned above - they are work colleagues and the occasional other person)

I don't even have a goal weight anymore - it used to be between 58-60kg. I'm in the 62s now (fluctuate all over the place) and I feel fine but am aiming to grow more muscles before I lean down a bit more.

I went from 32% BF to 20% in one year. My aim to be be at a stable 18% ish regardless of how much the scales tell me I'm weighing.

Brave, stupid man.

ETA: great job!