Have you ever been told that you don't need to lose any more weight?

Replies

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Yes. I have been told this, but I know that they're either being nice, polite, or manipulative.
  • jsa_mason
    jsa_mason Posts: 17 Member
    Every freakin day lol, so annoying!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Brave, stupid man.

Yep! Hahahaha :smile: he got lots of cold shoulders and lack of action due to that!
  • sarahbuchan465
    sarahbuchan465 Posts: 6 Member
    iimitz wrote: »
    I hear it EVERY time I mention I'm on a diet or something. Everyone says how skinny I am but the fact is I'm tall and the height is deceiving when it comes to weight being stretched. I dress appropriately and it gives the illusion that I don't have a gut going on. I'm considered overweight and I have to lose about 20lbs~ to be considered not in the "overweight" category. Now, when I say what my actual weight is, they all scoff in disbelief. The end all fact to keep in your head is if you're not happy with your weight, it's up to you to manage what it is, not others. You seem to already have that mindset.

i have this exact same problem. I'm 5ft 8 and 160lbs but i carry it well.... i know that at 145 i am at my fittest and healthiest and i always get ribbed that where, am i going to lose it from - my hair?
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    I hear it all the time too and I'm short so its obvious that I'm overweight. I think weight is a such a complicated issue that there are alot of reasons to be hearing this. I know this sounds terrible, but I'll put it out there. In my case I think some people I know who are at a healthy weight like me being overweight because it makes them feel good about themselves. I also think some people I know who are overweight feel threatened when I lose weight.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    5'7. SW 183. CW 137. Took me several years to get to my current/goal weight. (which is fine by me)
    Only ONE person has expressed, many times, that I am too thin/skinny. A friend whom I quit speaking to because of this. She came back months later apologizing.
    At least 12 people have expressed how good I look and how did I do it ?
    And sometimes people I know, but rarely see, don't even recognize me.
    Which is a very strange feeling but brings a smile to my face. Really ?
    So. Bottom line. It's your weight/your life. Who cares what everyone else thinks ?
    I can't tell you how many posts I have read that when overweight no one says anything. Normal weight ? You are too skinny. What ?
  • SunflowerCutie
    SunflowerCutie Posts: 61 Member
    All the time! I'm only 5ft and have quite a dainty frame so anyone who I mention weight lose to insists I don't need to lose any. I know I'm not overweight yet but I want to get back to how I used to be, it's only half a stone, before I am overweight. What's so wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that.
  • SunflowerCutie
    I hear it all the time too and I'm short so its obvious that I'm overweight. I think weight is a such a complicated issue that there are alot of reasons to be hearing this. I know this sounds terrible, but I'll put it out there. In my case I think some people I know who are at a healthy weight like me being overweight because it makes them feel good about themselves. I also think some people I know who are overweight feel threatened when I lose weight.

I guess some people that told me do not lose any more weight is either threatened or jealous. I don't know the real reason
  • SunflowerCutie
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    "you're wasting away" "I can see your hip bones (lies)" "god just eat the cake" yeeah literally everyone in my work gives me this every day, mainly because I work in a restaurant that has literally nothing of anything remotely close to healthy so I have to be ridiculously careful every day i'm there (most of the time!) but my true friends/family would never comment on my own personal goals!

Wow that's crazy. Some people encourage me to have some junk food sometimes but I say no.
  • SunflowerCutie
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    My mamaw once told me:
    "You need to quit losing weight! You are getting too skinny in your face!"

I had just recently gained about ten pounds.

Oh no
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    I'm sure this is a problem everywhere, but I feel like if you are from the south (I am) it's the polite thing to do. You comment on how tiny someone is, tell them they shouldn't lose more, while trying to fatten them up with buttery, sugary foods that you are offended if they don't eat. My family are all good southerners and I've heard this my whole life. I was obese and my mother was telling me I didn't need to lose much more. I just shrugged it off. My grandmother worries about me every time she sees me. The only person who doesn't follow these southern conventions is my grandfather who says whatever comes to mind without weighing how it will sound. From him I've heard "gettin' fat there ain'tcha?"
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    "you're wasting away" "I can see your hip bones (lies)" "god just eat the cake" yeeah literally everyone in my work gives me this every day, mainly because I work in a restaurant that has literally nothing of anything remotely close to healthy so I have to be ridiculously careful every day i'm there (most of the time!) but my true friends/family would never comment on my own personal goals!

Wow that's crazy. Some people encourage me to have some junk food sometimes but I say no.

It's only because I am literally the only one within a normal BMI. I get that!

• SunflowerCutie

It's only because I am literally the only one within a normal BMI. I get that!

Yeah
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm still fat enough that my mom doesn't think I'm perfect yet, though she called me a b**** for weighing less than her (jokingly, of course).

Some family members mean well and want you to feel like you're perfect already, or can't get used to the idea of seeing you slimmer. Some are jealous and don't want to feel like failures in your light. All of them will just have to get over it.
  • TerriBrendel
    TerriBrendel Posts: 2 Member
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    When I was losing weight rapidly, my mom would tell me I shouldn't be losing too much weight. After I explained my reasoning for my goal weight, she said I shouldn't be losing so rapidly. She was right.

When I was diagnosed with an ED, the doctor had asked me if I still thought I was fat.

When I had my physical, the GP had noticed I lost weight and said I was at a good weight for my height.

I'm 140 right now and am fine where I am. I'd just like to focus on my fitness.
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    When I was losing weight rapidly, my mom would tell me I shouldn't be losing too much weight. After I explained my reasoning for my goal weight, she said I shouldn't be losing so rapidly. She was right.

When I was diagnosed with an ED, the doctor had asked me if I still thought I was fat.

When I had my physical, the GP had noticed I lost weight and said I was at a good weight for my height.

I'm 140 right now and am fine where I am. I'd just like to focus on my fitness.

• TerriBrendel
    TerriBrendel Posts: 2 Member
    I am 5'10" and currently weigh 190#. My Doctor wants me down to 170#. one of my co-workers keeps telling me im too skinny. I'm trying to get healthy and my BMI in a normal range. I just think she jealous. Keep up the good work!!
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Sometimes I think people just say things because it isn't important to them or they simply can't control their own habits. Other times I think we can look differently in the right clothes, and people don't see the real us. I get this mainly because I have a strong build ...broad football shoulders, and "guns" / arms. People see that and think I'm just big and don't have a lot of "extra" weight. However, while my build plays into what I can possibly hope to lose weight wise, I'm smart enough to know I really need to lose about 50 plus pounds for my heart, blood pressure, etc. You know what's best, unless you have an eating disorder, do what you know is needed.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yes, recently told that by my doctor, a nutritionist, and several family members. Medically I was told I would be fine if I maibtained. My family thinks I'm too thin and I'm going to get sick (I'm a size 4). I still have about 5 -10 lbs more to go to make myself happy though.

Doctor and nutritionist I would listen to tbh

+1
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Unless you obviously doing something to hurt yourself, then they have no right to try to impose their opinions on you. Sure, people are entitled to their opinions, but that's it.
  • SunflowerCutie
    normal weight or lower? Is your goal to be underweight or am I just reading that wrong?

Normal weight