Exercise classes at the gym

2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Just go in the back, do what you can, attempt to avoid being competitive with the regulars, and have fun.

Using yoga as an example - we are not born yogis and yoginis. It takes practice. I've often gone to classes that were above my level and just did what I could and observed what I couldn't.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    I want to start taking exercise classes at the gym but i feel anxious! I know its silly but i need to be nudged... Tell me your experience with exercise classes at the gym!!

I do zumba and cardio taiboxing. I love it. My gym instructors are full of encouragement. I never feel out of place especially if I'm trying to learn a new move. Good luck.
  • UnicornAmanda1
    UnicornAmanda1 Posts: 56 Member
    Thank you all for your input. I go to the YMCA and so far the only class i have tried is spin... I like spin but i do want to try a few others (step, bodypump, and yoga sound fun!) ... I will let you all know how i make out!!
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Group exercise classes are a great way to meet others & stay motivated. Try any classes that interest you & see which you like & go from there.

A good instructor should introduce themselves at the beginning of class &/or ask if anyone's new & keep an eye out on them. They should be a great motivator, positive, approachable, give exercise variations to suit all fitness levels, give correct cues & be available to answer any questions you may have before/after class.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Nobody cares what you are doing or what you look in a group class except you. They are all focused on themselves, trust me on this. Go, learn the steps/routine, have fun, and soon you will be totally comfortable with it. Everybody is a beginner at the beginning.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I've been taking classes for many years. Go and enjoy !
  • Stevecutler0
    Stevecutler0 Posts: 20 Member
    I have been doing a few over the past 4 months just get in and move and have fun!
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    I've met some of the most supportive, kind, wonderful folks at classes. It's worth giving it a try. What's the worst that could happen? You end up realizing you don't like it as much as you thought, and you don't go back. :)
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Go! It's pretty much my only form of exercise. I do Zumba, Burlesque Dancing, Spin & Meta-Fit. Each one is different, with a different agenda for me. The instructor is very important, you'll probably find you gel more with some than others, then you can drop the ones you don't like! Tell them it's your first class at the beginning and they will generally always help you.
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Also, persist, go to at least 3 classes before thinking about whether to carry on. The first couple are always harder because you are not sure what you are doing.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    go do it :) there will be heaps of new people (always are at the beginning of the year!)

Try a few different ones and see what you like.

I like all the boxing type ones and cardio and BodyPump, but I can't stand the dancing Zumba types because I'm useless with keeping up with them - by the time I 'get' the step it's changed already hahaha. I also can't stand the music.

However - do try them there are so many fun classes out there and it's a great way to be accountable - you go in and do it for x amount of time and feel great afterwards.

Do it!
  • fit_for_good13
    fit_for_good13 Posts: 69 Member
    I love classes.. I started as just a participant and then became an instructor. Everyone is new in class once. Everyone in the class has felt how you feel at this moment. Just push yourself into that room and do it. After the first class you'll feel so much better :)
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    I love gym classes... Too bad that there's no good gym near me now.
    I started with Body Combat as a fresh gym newbie and then aerobic Latin dance, Body Balance, steps, and Zumba. There's a great range of intensity level among the same classes taught by different instructors (I see that more in Zumba, but once a while in Body Combat as well) & for some reason I'm pretty picky about that. So OP I'd suggest you to try whatever that sounds interesting to you, see which type of classes you like, and stick with the instructor(s) who'd provide the intensity level & atmosphere you like. And don't be afraid to ask them questions! Good luck & have fun!