Any other women with PCOS trying to change their life?

Options
I have PCOS and 2 beautiful children. Now it is me time! I must get my health back in order.

Replies

• Ldenzel
    Ldenzel Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have been having issues getting pregnant. I'm hoping losing weight will help me get pregnant.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, no thyroid and a heart condition and yes I am back trying again to get my weight under control. With all these problems it is really important I win this fight.
  • faithrainbow1
    faithrainbow1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good luck, ladies! You can do it!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yes, because the IR turned worse :( I have been working hard to get my blood sugars in order and to normalize my hormones (so I take Metformin and progesterone and exercise). I'm a normal-weight PCOSer, though, so getting really skinny won't help me any. I have lowered my carbs significantly, of course. That does help the glucose issue a lot.
  • jessp2011
    jessp2011 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and take metformin on a daily basis. Since having my first child in 2014, I have noticed that my body isn't processing sugar as it once was. I am trying to make lifestyle changes so that I can be as healthy as possible.
  • dlbrabazon
    dlbrabazon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, but it has improved a lot with my weight loss. Weight loss at the start was super easy, and the weight just basically dropped off as long as I drank water and munched away on fatty foods, taking care not to overeat. The final 20kg is more difficult because my body is keto-adapted and now requires more of a calorie deficit. I don't really cravy the carbs I've lost anymore, after 6 years of this. I just feel healthy, and that's what is important.
  • krbkrat
    krbkrat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 23 (normal weight, 5'7" 140 at the time of diagnosis...so took awhile because it was 2003 and they didn't think I could have it...).

I am now 36, borderline obese, 190lb, 29.8 BMI (so for all intents and purposes obese). No kids. Take Metformin daily as well, periods every 35 days. Not looking to have kids - hubs and I do not want them - but looking to prevent more health problems and know I need to lose weight.

I will send each of you a friend request - would love to have other women dealing with PCOS in my court!
    Best,
    Kristi K
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 28 years ago. Yikes. I was once tolde that I was a "classic case"in a room full of med students who were staring at my ovaries. Nice.

I went 15+ yrs without a period, had a massive heart attack at 35 and have diabetes. I wish I had gotten my act together years ago but I feel like I am making progress now!

Carbs are where it counts, at least for me, diet wise. Keeping them low and under control just seems to get everything working right.

One thing that amazes me is how little progress there has been in the treatment of this in the last decades. Be vigilant with asking for your treatment and if one doctor won't listen don't be shy about finding one who will! Best of luck to e everyone!
  • monetfuge
    monetfuge Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've looked into PCOS, how do they diagnose women of this. I line up but no doctor has told me I have it?
  • monetfuge
    monetfuge Posts: 43 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    krbkrat wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 23 (normal weight, 5'7" 140 at the time of diagnosis...so took awhile because it was 2003 and they didn't think I could have it...).

I am now 36, borderline obese, 190lb, 29.8 BMI (so for all intents and purposes obese). No kids. Take Metformin daily as well, periods every 35 days. Not looking to have kids - hubs and I do not want them - but looking to prevent more health problems and know I need to lose weight.

I will send each of you a friend request - would love to have other women dealing with PCOS in my court!
    Best,
    Kristi K

Wow! You and I have the same height and about the same weight. I'm heavier. I couldn't believe I was considered borderline obesed. It's hard when you carry your fat well and have equal amount of muscle like me. I need to lose 31ib, 5'7", currently 201ib. I've lost about 40ibs already and losing weekly now!!! At one point my weight was climbing 5 ib a week eating about 1600 kcal a day or less and active due to job. I had a lot of iron deficiency and hormones so out of whack I needed hormone therapy. Didn't have thyroid problems though. My depression spiked out of control. It was a brain thing for me and needed meds to help with sleep and receptors that's been damaged due to a life of extreme and constant stress.

I feel this (PCOS) has a lot to deal with the brain. I'm losing weight and getting more frequent headaches and fatigue a bit though I'm taking my vitamins and eating balanced meals. I take extra vitamin D and garlic but my immune system still needs help at times lately as I change. I can't help but to think its the stress on my body again. I used to work nights 12 hour shifts and now I'm out of work with the kids focusing on health and a better scheduled job and I'm getting sick here and there. Sinus issues the biggest though no infection. My hormones has changed how sensitive my body is to things and I have nose bleeds in dry air though never before. It's so wired getting old. I've always been real healthy and able to endure anything. With depression I have limits now that I have to be content with.
  • krbkrat
    krbkrat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The diagnostic criteria have changed over the years. As of 2008:

1) Clinical or biochemical signs of hyperandrogenism
    2) Ovarian dysfunction - oligo-anovulation and/or polycystic ovaries on ultrasound
    3) Exclusion of other androgen excess or ovulatory disorders

So basically - show signs of manliness - losing hair, growing hair in undesirable places, stop having your period or have super spotty ones or the ovaries that look like a bunch of grapes on ultrasound, and make sure there isn't another endocrine explanation like Cushings, or thyroid disease, or ovarian failure, etc.....
  • llaschiar
    llaschiar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I also have been diagnosed with PCOS. 27 (soon to be 28 in a few days!) years old, obese, and looking to lose my first 30 lbs to help with ovulation when I decide to begin planning for a baby! My OB recommended taking this year to focus on eating right. I already exercise 3-4 times a week but don't see much improvement in numbers on the scale. I also take Victoza once a day to help with type 2 diabetes. Glad to connect with everyone!
  • Brindog_
    Brindog_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ldenzel wrote: »
    I have PCOS and have been having issues getting pregnant. I'm hoping losing weight will help me get pregnant.

Same here. I'm hopinghoping for the same thing.
  • Brindog_
    Brindog_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Brindog_ wrote: »
    Ldenzel wrote: »

Same here. I'm hoping for the same thing.

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    27 years old and was FINALLY officially diagnosed in December 2015.. but have been suffering from PCOS probably my entire life (doctor/gyno brushed me off, but I grew up never having a normal/regulated period and on the slightly overweight side). i'm now taking 1000mg of Metformin on top of my Synthroid (hypothyroid diagnosed in January 2015). not looking to have kids just yet, but would be great to have my periods back under control and to be able to lose this weight!
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I have PCOS, was diagnosed in my early 20's. I found MFP a couple years ago, and by learning proper portions and trying to stay in my calorie goal I managed to loose 65lbs in about a year and a half I believe. My goal weight was 175. I wasn't "trying" to conceive as the Drs had told me for years that it was impossible. When I got down to about 177-176 I just could not loose the last two lbs. Took a test and found out I was pregnant. It was such a shock and such a blessing. He just turned 3 last week.

Please don't loose hope. It can happen. I'm now trying to loose the 35lbs I put back on. It's beyond time. I dont want to end up back where I was.

Good luck and God Bless!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Honestly, other than fertility struggles, which was a big issue (and those of us who have managed to have kids officially have a "mild" problem), I do not see PCOS as a problem, now that I am done with pregnancies. Pregancies were hard, getting pregnant was hard, carrying to term was hard, I had gestational diabetes, but now this phase of my life is over, it is something I do not even notice any more. Hirsuitism is a problem, but not something really serious in the big picture of health problems one could have, and I wish I would not accumulate every tiny bit of fat on my belly and nowhere else, but again, not something I would really consider serious.
  • Cfirsdon
    Cfirsdon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, (And the chin hair to prove it!). I've found that eating a Ketogenic diet works well with losing weight and "treating" PCOS. The holidays this year really derailed me, but I'm back on it this week. If you want to know more about it, look up Dr. Jeff Volek. He is a professor at The Ohio State University, and a colleague of mine, that does research on the Ketogenic Diet and how it helps those that suffer from PCOS and other issues.

The positive for me is that the diet is amazing and I get to eat really good food. Just found out today that the parmesan spinach and artichoke dip at Giant Eagle is pretty keto and that's all I've been craving! Not to mention..... Bacon. #NuffSaid
  • Cfirsdon
    Cfirsdon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Honestly, other than fertility struggles, which was a big issue (and those of us who have managed to have kids officially have a "mild" problem), I do not see PCOS as a problem, now that I am done with pregnancies. Pregancies were hard, getting pregnant was hard, carrying to term was hard, I had gestational diabetes, but now this phase of my life is over, it is something I do not even notice any more. Hirsuitism is a problem, but not something really serious in the big picture of health problems one could have, and I wish I would not accumulate every tiny bit of fat on my belly and nowhere else, but again, not something I would really consider serious.

It goes beyond being able to carry children. Untreated here's a part of the laundry list of issues we can get:
    Type 2 diabetes
    High blood pressure
    Cholesterol and lipid abnormalities, such as elevated triglycerides or low high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, the "good" cholesterol
    Metabolic syndrome — a cluster of signs and symptoms that indicate a significantly increased risk of cardiovascular disease
    Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis — a severe liver inflammation caused by fat accumulation in the liver
    Sleep apnea
    Depression and anxiety
    Abnormal uterine bleeding
    Cancer of the uterine lining (endometrial cancer), caused by exposure to continuous high levels of estrogen
    Not to mention those cysts can rupture
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Cfirsdon wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »

It goes beyond being able to carry children. Untreated here's a part of the laundry list of issues we can get:
    Type 2 diabetes
    High blood pressure
    Cholesterol and lipid abnormalities, such as elevated triglycerides or low high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, the "good" cholesterol
    Metabolic syndrome — a cluster of signs and symptoms that indicate a significantly increased risk of cardiovascular disease
    Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis — a severe liver inflammation caused by fat accumulation in the liver
    Sleep apnea
    Depression and anxiety
    Abnormal uterine bleeding
    Cancer of the uterine lining (endometrial cancer), caused by exposure to continuous high levels of estrogen
    Not to mention those cysts can rupture

going along with your last point, you don't necessarily have to have to have cysts to have PCOS (didn't know this until I met my current endo) as long as you meet 2 out of the 3 main criteria.