Avocado from walmart tastes like chemicals vs. Costco avocado. Why?

Options

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There are no genetically modified avocados on the market. However, if it *was genetically modified, you can bet your boots it would taste better than other avocados before it was released to the market - unless there was another compelling reason to spend all the money on R&D. Growing conditions in general affect ALL produce. Shipping conditions affect it even more. Like many things, some varieties just ship better than others, and ripen better than others after being picked totally hard and green to survive shipping.
    Pretty much all produce we buy today has been genetically modified. You should see a natural banana.

lol.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Were they by the same company? And they could have been artificially ripened with chemicals which is what happens to many of the fruits and vegetables that have to travel a long way.

Artificially ripened with chemicals?? I know a lot of produce is picked before it's ripe and allowed to ripen in transit, but I've never heard of chemicals begin added. Do you have a source for this info?

Aren't oranges sprayed with gas in order to make them orange in color? Maybe it's something like that.

I have not idea. I've never heard that but it wouldn't surprise me.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    This sounds a little ridiculous. Avocados aren't genetically modified and I've never heard of anyone using chemicals to "artificially ripen" fruit, especially if it's traveling a long way. If anything, you'd expect they'd want to delay ripening if it's traveling....

I've had apples in the same bag taste very different from each other. Most are crunchy and delicious, one was mealy and not so delicious. You got a bad avocado. It happens. If it bothers you to buy avocados from Walmart then don't, but don't blame it on some GMO conspiracy theory.

I'm not sure what the big deal is regarding GMOs, anyway. There has been no proof in the scientific community that there's anything harmful in them. The only ones saying there is are idiots like the Food Babe and the Organic industry who are all profiting big-time from their fear tactics.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Were they by the same company? And they could have been artificially ripened with chemicals which is what happens to many of the fruits and vegetables that have to travel a long way.

Artificially ripened with chemicals?? I know a lot of produce is picked before it's ripe and allowed to ripen in transit, but I've never heard of chemicals begin added. Do you have a source for this info?

Aren't oranges sprayed with gas in order to make them orange in color? Maybe it's something like that.

I'm pretty sure this is not true. At least, the oranges and grapefruits in Texas, I can testify, are not sprayed with anything that make them orange.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Right now there are agriculture stations at the Texas-Mexico border that xray and irradiate certain types of produce (avocado is not yet one of them) to prevent any live plant pests from entering the US. That's about the only treatment I can think of, but it doesn't turn the food bad.

Edited for grammar.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Artificially ripened? I've never seen a natural banana. The thought that everything is GMO'd bothers me.

Then you clearly don't do research on GMO's....
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    When topics like this pop up, I expect the OP to post an Ashton Kutcher gif saying that we're being punk'd.

OP, perhaps your palate is just too sophisticated for some foods and Wal-Mart is just beneath you. Instead of paying 50 cents for your avocados, you should definitely be paying $4 for the organic versions at a classier joint.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Right now there are agriculture stations at the Texas-Mexico border that xray and irradiate certain types of produce (avocado is not yet one of them) to prevent any live plant pests from entering the US. That's about the only treatment I can think of, but it doesn't turn the food bad.

Edited for grammar.

irradiate...that sounds like a scary word.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

Edited for grammar.

irradiate...that sounds like a scary word.

Yeah, don't do it if you're pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are nursing. I don't think the foods we eat fall under any of those categories, though. :wink:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

This is why out-of-season supermarket tomatoes are far inferior to in-season farmer's market tomatoes:

http://www.drgourmet.com/askdrgourmet/ethylenegas.shtml#.VpUjy_krLcs

Ethylene gas is produced naturally by most fruits, such as tomatoes, bananas, peaches, and avocados, and it promotes ripening. Most tomatoes today are picked green and transported unripe to protect them from bruising and spoilage. The green tomatoes are then ripened somewhat artificially by exposing them to ethylene gas. This is generally not done in the supermarket but at the produce distributors that supply local markets.

The early picking, transport and rapid ripening results in the inferior, mealy tomatoes that we have in our grocery stores today. In many cases you are better off using canned tomatoes for cooking than fresh.

It doesn't appear that there is a danger. Keep in mind that the tomatoes naturally produce ethylene gas and are doing so there in the grocery (and on your kitchen counter). Interestingly, ethylene gas was once used as an anesthetic. Long term exposure to lab animals by ethylene gas did show some increase in risk of cancer, but studies of workers that are involved in professions using the gas do not.

It is very likely that it is just as safe for you to eat tomatoes that have been "gassed" as those that "gas themselves" with ethylene gas.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I'm pretty sure this is not true. At least, the oranges and grapefruits in Texas, I can testify, are not sprayed with anything that make them orange.

Citrus Red 2

Citrus Red 2, Citrus Red No. 2, C.I. Solvent Red 80, or C.I. 12156 is an artificial dye. As a food dye, it has been permitted by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) since 1956 to color the skin of oranges.[1][2][3] Citrus Red 2 is listed by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as a group 2B carcinogen, a substance "possibly carcinogenic to humans".[4]

...In the United States, Citrus Red 2 is sometimes used to color oranges. It is only permitted to be used on the peel. It is permitted when the fruit is intended to be eaten, but is not permitted when the fruit is intended or used for processing, for example to manufacture orange juice.[2] It is used on some oranges from the US state of Florida but is banned in the US states of California and Arizona. It has been linked to health risks in studies using rats and mice [5]

Read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_Red_2
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Never had an issue with Walmart avocados. I usually get the bags of Hass avocados and they've always been great and exactly the same in flavor as what I've gotten at Publix and Trader Joe's
  • kshama2001
    Options

Edited for grammar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_irradiation#Food_quality

...Food quality

Because of the extent of the chemical reactions, changes to the foods quality after irradiation are inevitable. The nutritional content of food, as well as the sensory qualities (taste, appearance, and texture) is impacted by irradiation. Because of this food advocacy groups consider labeling irradiated food raw as misleading.[23] However, the degradation of vitamins caused by irradiation is similar or even less than the loss caused by other food preservation processes. Other processes like chilling, freezing, drying, and heating also result in some vitamin loss.[16]

The changes in quality and nutrition vary greatly from food to food. The changes in the flavor of fatty foods like meats, nuts and oils are sometimes noticeable, while the changes in lean products like fruits and vegetables are less so. Some studies by the irradiation industry show that for some properly treated fruits and vegetables irradiation is seen by consumers to improve the sensory qualities of the product compared to untreated fruits and vegetables.[16]
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    quote-practically-every-food-you-buy-in-a-store-for-consumption-by-humans-is-genetically-modified-neil-degrasse-tyson-82-27-53.jpg

tumblr_n4lt7fvMxt1ririjeo1_500.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I find that costco fruit never ripens like normal fruit.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    It was super ripe. I know when to eat my avocados. Costco avocados are like tasting nature. Walmart ones are like eating something man made.

My guess is that either they were different types of avocado or it's all in your head. How do you feel about Wal-Mart produce in general?

I am skeptical about the quality of Walmart produce in general yet got some delicious avocados there a few weeks ago. Then I got some at Stop & Shop which were 2/3 inedible. Getting good avocados in the North East is so hit or miss that I just dumped them from my smoothie ingredient list.

hb664f08f.jpeg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n349ylW3HM1tvb80zo1_500.jpg
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Citrus Red 2

Citrus Red 2, Citrus Red No. 2, C.I. Solvent Red 80, or C.I. 12156 is an artificial dye. As a food dye, it has been permitted by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) since 1956 to color the skin of oranges.[1][2][3] Citrus Red 2 is listed by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as a group 2B carcinogen, a substance "possibly carcinogenic to humans".[4]

...In the United States, Citrus Red 2 is sometimes used to color oranges. It is only permitted to be used on the peel. It is permitted when the fruit is intended to be eaten, but is not permitted when the fruit is intended or used for processing, for example to manufacture orange juice.[2] It is used on some oranges from the US state of Florida but is banned in the US states of California and Arizona. It has been linked to health risks in studies using rats and mice [5]

Read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_Red_2

Okay, I stand corrected on it not being true. However, I will still testify that the top 6 citrus producers in Texas, primarily grapefruit growers, do not use this dye. Florida has a number of citrus diseases they have to deal with, like sweet orange scab and citrus canker, so it makes sense that they would need to alter the peel to make it more appealing to buyers in the grocery store.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    This sounds a little ridiculous. Avocados aren't genetically modified and I've never heard of anyone using chemicals to "artificially ripen" fruit, especially if it's traveling a long way. If anything, you'd expect they'd want to delay ripening if it's traveling....

I've had apples in the same bag taste very different from each other. Most are crunchy and delicious, one was mealy and not so delicious. You got a bad avocado. It happens. If it bothers you to buy avocados from Walmart then don't, but don't blame it on some GMO conspiracy theory.

I'm not sure what the big deal is regarding GMOs, anyway. There has been no proof in the scientific community that there's anything harmful in them. The only ones saying there is are idiots like the Food Babe and the Organic industry who are all profiting big-time from their fear tactics.

I like u :)