There are 'BAD' foods

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    alstin2015 wrote: »
    i know that anything can be considered processing,(chopping, cooking, baking). i mean the heavy processing with tons of chemicals and additives that you wouldnt normally put on the food that you would cook at home, (McDonalds, cheetos, coke, candy, hot dogs)

What are a few of these "tons of chemicals and additives" and why should I avoid them? How are they bad for me?

Are there legitimate proven health risks I should be made aware of or are you just put off by the scary made up stories of the big bad GMO that went Boo?

Would you eat anything without a "legitimate proven health risk"? For a risk to be proven wouldn't someone have to suffer? It's not as if previously approved as safe chemicals used in the food industry have never been repealed after being proven unsafe.

My point is I have no reason to believe they're bad for me. Just because society has assigned a negative connotation to "processed food" and "preservatives" doesn't mean there's actually any reason to be concerned with their presence in food.
    Still, some will tout that they're perfectly detrimental to your health "just because they think so" and not because they have any real reason to believe it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    i know that anything can be considered processing,(chopping, cooking, baking). i mean the heavy processing with tons of chemicals and additives that you wouldnt normally put on the food that you would cook at home, (McDonalds, cheetos, coke, candy, hot dogs)

And again...the important question is...why?

I mean if it's a choice you're making for yourself...I got no issues. But when making blanket recommendations for others to follow, the "why" suddenly becomes a lot more important.

I just trust food with less chemicals in it. I don't care if they haven't been proven harmful. I just trust that the closer food is to its natural form, the better it is for you, usually.( i know, meat, bread, juice, yadayada) absolutely not scientific in anyway, never claimed it was

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

Again...there's a HUGE difference between saying YOU choose not to eat things for personal reasons/beliefs and:
    Of course there are bad foods. Foods with artificial dyes, unnatural chemicals, cancer causing agents, artificial sweetners.some of these are bad at any amount.

Are those mushrooms "food"?

Most (probably all) know that people do eat mushrooms

But are the mushrooms in your picture food?
  • Carlos_421
    Options

I mean if it's a choice you're making for yourself...I got no issues. But when making blanket recommendations for others to follow, the "why" suddenly becomes a lot more important.

I just trust food with less chemicals in it. I don't care if they haven't been proven harmful. I just trust that the closer food is to its natural form, the better it is for you, usually.( i know, meat, bread, juice, yadayada) absolutely not scientific in anyway, never claimed it was

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

Again...there's a HUGE difference between saying YOU choose not to eat things for personal reasons/beliefs and:
    Of course there are bad foods. Foods with artificial dyes, unnatural chemicals, cancer causing agents, artificial sweetners.some of these are bad at any amount.

Look more like Mario's little friend.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

What are a few of these "tons of chemicals and additives" and why should I avoid them? How are they bad for me?

Are there legitimate proven health risks I should be made aware of or are you just put off by the scary made up stories of the big bad GMO that went Boo?

Would you eat anything without a "legitimate proven health risk"? For a risk to be proven wouldn't someone have to suffer? It's not as if previously approved as safe chemicals used in the food industry have never been repealed after being proven unsafe.

My point is I have no reason to believe they're bad for me. Just because society has assigned a negative connotation to "processed food" and "preservatives" doesn't mean there's actually any reason to be concerned with their presence in food.
    Still, some will tout that they're perfectly detrimental to your health "just because they think so" and not because they have any real reason to believe it.

And some will tout they are perfectly safe just because a govt. agency stamped approval on them.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Because i prefer my food to be made of food

What part of the 100% beef McDonald's patty is not food? The beef or the beef?

lol. i used to sell natures harvest bread. 100% whole wheat. here are the ingredients

Whole wheat flour, water, cracked wheat, yeast, wheat gluten, sugar, wheat bran, soybean oil, honey, molasses, raisin juice concentrate, salt, mono- and diglycerides, datum, calcium propionate (preservative), grain vinegar, calcium sulfate, monocalcium phosphate, cornstarch, soy lecithin, citric acid, whey, soy flour, nonfat milk.

how is that 100% whole wheat? well, the whole wheat that is in it is 100% whole wheat. lol im sure that the beef in the mcdonalds patty is 100% beef. that doesnt mean its not full of other things

100% whole wheat means that there are no other grains in the bread. Surely no one thinks that it means there's a way to make dough, get it to rise and bake it into a stable loaf of bread using no other ingredients than whole wheat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lol. you guys are pretty funny. yes, my standards are subjective and not scientific at all. yes, i prefer butter to sucking a cows' teet. yes i cook meat and know that this is processing. chopping vegetables is processing, etc. i mean common sense stuff. (what is common sense? i know i know). making a pizza at home vs little caesars, home made burgers with grass fed beef on freshly baked bakery bread and tomatoes and onion from your own garden vs. Mcdonald. is this so unreasonable an idea?

It seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Most people prefer "freshly baked bread," but it doesn't have much to do with whether or not it is artificial. In fact, using a mechnically ground flour from a grain that is the result of extensive human intervention to create bread, and then selling that bread to others (using a government-backed currency, perhaps even an electronic transaction) so that they don't have to bake within their own home in order to enjoy freshly baked bread seems . . . pretty darn artificial. Topping it with onions from your own garden does nothing to change the utterly modern, artificial, and unnatural nature of that "freshly baked bakery bread" (note: I am not advocating that there is anything wrong with things that are modern, artificial, or unnatural).

I think it's very unreasonable to declare things "bad" on the basis of subjective, arbitrary, and contradictory standards.

What you're saying is that the processing that you value, that you think increases the value of a food is good, and other processing is bad. As far as a private opinion goes, this doesn't really do any harm. We should all avoid the foods we don't enjoy. But let's not pretend that it's anything more than a preference. If you can enjoy the artificiality of a freshly baked bakery bread, why are the pleasures of others "bad"?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

lol. i used to sell natures harvest bread. 100% whole wheat. here are the ingredients

Whole wheat flour, water, cracked wheat, yeast, wheat gluten, sugar, wheat bran, soybean oil, honey, molasses, raisin juice concentrate, salt, mono- and diglycerides, datum, calcium propionate (preservative), grain vinegar, calcium sulfate, monocalcium phosphate, cornstarch, soy lecithin, citric acid, whey, soy flour, nonfat milk.

how is that 100% whole wheat? well, the whole wheat that is in it is 100% whole wheat. lol im sure that the beef in the mcdonalds patty is 100% beef. that doesnt mean its not full of other things

Actually it's just beef, salt and pepper.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Yes, it does. It all comes down to advertising and labeling laws. 100% whole wheat means that all the grains in the bread are whole wheat, not that all the ingredients are whole wheat.

100% beef means the patty is nothing but beef in the patty (though obviously the burger contains other ingredients)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

Perhaps you missed my previous response. I'll repeat it for you:

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Little Caesar's isn't food? Flour and tomatoes and milk are no longer food?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

And some will tout they are perfectly safe just because a govt. agency stamped approval on them.

yes. why would anyone trust the FDA. look into the conflicts of interest of FDA officials being former big food production execs and vice versa. ( NO i will not provide links, look it up)

While I will never be one to argue that an FDA 'stamp of approval' is 100% fool-proof, given the choice of following that or just random, arbitrary "but it might be bad" thinking, I'll take my chances with the former over the latter.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    lol. you guys are pretty funny. yes, my standards are subjective and not scientific at all. yes, i prefer butter to sucking a cows' teet. yes i cook meat and know that this is processing. chopping vegetables is processing, etc. i mean common sense stuff. (what is common sense? i know i know). making a pizza at home vs little caesars, home made burgers with grass fed beef on freshly baked bakery bread and tomatoes and onion from your own garden vs. Mcdonald. is this so unreasonable an idea?

It seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Most people prefer "freshly baked bread," but it doesn't have much to do with whether or not it is artificial. In fact, using a mechnically ground flour from a grain that is the result of extensive human intervention to create bread, and then selling that bread to others (using a government-backed currency, perhaps even an electronic transaction) so that they don't have to bake within their own home in order to enjoy freshly baked bread seems . . . pretty darn artificial. Topping it with onions from your own garden does nothing to change the utterly modern, artificial, and unnatural nature of that "freshly baked bakery bread" (note: I am not advocating that there is anything wrong with things that are modern, artificial, or unnatural).

I think it's very unreasonable to declare things "bad" on the basis of subjective, arbitrary, and contradictory standards.

What you're saying is that the processing that you value, that you think increases the value of a food is good, and other processing is bad. As far as a private opinion goes, this doesn't really do any harm. We should all avoid the foods we don't enjoy. But let's not pretend that it's anything more than a preference. If you can enjoy the artificiality of a freshly baked bakery bread, why are the pleasures of others "bad"?

aW8X6.gif
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Who eats bacon every day?

me!! :) But only a slice or two with my hard boiled egg!!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

What was your point in posting the pic?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Surely no one thinks that it means there's a way to make dough, get it to rise and bake it into a stable loaf of bread using no other ingredients than whole wheat.

f48yt35.jpg
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

Most (probably all) know that I was pointing out that eating something "all natural" doesn't equate to being good for you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

Most (probably all) know that I was pointing out that eating something "all natural" doesn't equate to being good for you.

How is that not "moving the goal posts"? Natural food and natural everything are not the same things.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I put bad foods in the time out corner if they don't behave. You gotta show them whose the boss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ok then. everything that has not been proven to be harmful is good to eat. you guys have convinced me. thanks. ( on my way to buy hot cheetos, coke, mcdonalds, kfc, and everything in the frozen isle) lol

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excluding-the-middle.html/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No, it's how I like to eat and what I tend to prefer too, most of the time. I also would say it's just a matter of personal preference, not inherently better or healthier, and that foods I don't choose to eat aren't therefore "bad."

I also exercise common sense in that while a restaurant meal is usually going to be higher cal than something I make at home, it's not necessarily "more processed." I enjoy making pizza at home, but I think a pizza from a local Italian place can be preferable sometimes -- either because they are more skilled and have better ovens available for the crust or, more to the point, making pizza is time consuming.