Venting a little read at your own risk!! lol

Options

Replies

• Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    So you have accomplished something.....made us all think about our exercise! Thanks......I think!
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Well I think some people start slow. When I started walking last year, I was so out of shape that my walks were 15 minutes at a time. And I have a wii and xbox kinect, in case you don't know, some of those games will give you a pretty good workout. I think it's hilarious you're discounting what some people count as exercise. I try to clean the entire apt, do laundry and other stuff as fast as I can sometimes and I do count that as exercise because I'm sweating by the end. I think if people are moving and trying to get fit any way they see fit, it's alright with me. Not sure what your whole point was with this though, I don't judge my mfp friends by the exercise they do or don't do.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what other people do? Focus on your own fitness and stop judging other people.
    Thats what I was thinking as I read this. Plus if you are really trying to help others, you catch a whole lot more flies with honey rather than vinegar. You can make a point without being nasty, your message gets lost when you piss people off.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Bully for you. I have a back injury too and reaching inside the refrigerator hurts like hell.

I'll log what I want and you feel free to log what you want.

Have a nice evening.

{{hugs}}that is right. My 10 min walks and stairs are great exercise and remind me how far I have come. Log away sexy:flowerforyou:
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Mowing the grass? Seriously? I have 1/2 acre and it takes me over 2 hours to cut my grass. Definitely a workout!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am a bit offended by this as I am sure many others are too. I had several surgeries in 2006/2007 followed by a couple years of PT. Plus I have fibromyalgia w/chronic back pain and chronic kidney pain.

I am not looking to rock a bikini or climb a mountain or run a marathon. I am trying like the devil to lose the pounds that crept up over the past few years and keep myself functional!!!

I have nothing against those who do insanity, run marathons, etc. In fact, a number of my friends work very hard at these activities and they inspire me. But a lot of folks here like myself w/medical issues, or those who carry a lot of weight, struggle to do "every day" activities you take for granted.

This was neither helpful nor supportive in any way.

I'm going to have to agree with 2bfit here. We all put in our "normal" activity level, so exercise above that is exercise. Some start from very little activity, and in fact very obese. Walking and getting up off the couch is a big deal. Some of us have progressed to actually rough workouts and even want to get ripped and built up. But mostly people want to get un-fat. Calories in and calories out is the first most important rule. You can even eat twinkies and lose by that formula. It's up to the individual if they want to be healthy, not just thinner, and how healthy their goal is. Or how ripped they think they personally need to be.
    So go ahead and promote what you think is best, but it's really not okay to decide for someone else their goal isn't good enough. The main thing is they are here and trying.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Accidental double post deleted
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't know.. you may be right, but.. I had some wicked spicy chimichangas the other day and I must have burn at least seven hundred calories pushing out that chocolate manatee. I was sweating and crying and everything.

To each his own I guess.

hahahahahahahhaha .......breath..........hahahahha
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Dude, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm going to keep logging the heavy cleaning (if it raised my heart rate and I show a burn on my HRM) and the yard work. Not all of us go to a gym and if we're creative with calorie burns, if it makes sense to do so, then so be it.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    people use a heart rate monitor to monitor their heart rate in order to determine how many calories they burn. what difference does it make *what* makes their heart race. maybe the problem here is the term "exercise":

exercise (ˈɛksəˌsaɪz)

— vb
    To take exercise or perform exercises; exert one's muscles, etc., especially in order to keep fit.

nowhere in that defininition does it say *how* those muscles need to be exerted. i get what you're trying to say, but if it's getting your body going, then it should be included.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I choose to mow my lawn with a push mower. I have about 3/4 of an acre, and it takes me a little over 2 1/2 hours to complete it. I come back into the house more sweaty than when I do "real exercise" like weight lifting. I wear a BodyBugg, so I know that I'm burning calories, and I need to replace at least some of those calories.

Most of my work days are sedantary, so I need to record when I have unusual activities like mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, or (gasp) even shopping. I allow myself a few extra calories on those days, and am still continuing to lose weight.

Please stop criticizing those of us who have to do chores rather than work out at the gym!

now yeah thats a tuff workout lol i use push mower too... but not enough turf to put in as exercise and thats what i meant if people can do more.. and readying from their dairies they can should do more ... if i mowed a lawn that size i would consider it as a good workout too!

and thats what i was getting at as stated.. a girl was posting a 1500cal burn from standing at work wiping a counter then eat those cals and wonder why shes not loosing anything!

Here's a secret: I almost wasn't able to finish the lawn. In fact, I almost passed out halfway through my front lawn, which was unusual for me. Here's why:

I didn't eat enough calories to keep me going.

I had had my normal 450 calories for breakfast that morning, but thought I would finish the front before I stopped for lunch. But I had to stop -- I was out of energy.

I thought it was unusual, and it felt nutrition-related (it was not hot -- only 70 degrees), so I checked my food diary and BodyBugg -- I was already in a significant deficit. Then I checked the previous day, when I did not exercise, but went shopping. I didn't log in MFP and was on target calorie-wise. But when I checked the bugg -- huge deficit! I had no idea that I would burn as much shopping as I did mowing the lawn! I had a huge two day deficit, and wasn't feeding my body properly. No wonder it revolted, and I paid for it the rest of the day.

So perhaps it's not exercise, but that type of activity should be considered. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford the Body Bugg, and it told me a lot. I burn a little more at rest vs. MFP, and it told me about these "non-exercise" activities. And it totally explained why I felt so lousy! I will definitely be paying attention to these "non exercises" in the future -- I may not be eating all of these calories back, but I will at least listen when my body tells me I'm a little hungrier than normal.

This is why I am concerned about not counting these as "earned calories".
  • spaztastic13
    spaztastic13 Posts: 229
    Options
    Im sorry but who r you to judge people...you dont know any of us and dont know our day to day lives..and many of us are still out of shape...and if were eating less then we used too then i believe that what we do as far as excercise,yard work, cleaning etc...then we are burning calories and to me every little bit counts and i loose weight every week and have no issues...so u might want to watch what you say..:not everyone is the same as you!!!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    *sigh*
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    in addition, i agree that the calories burned number is sometimes way off. i don't think we should be able to use another's exercise entry like we do food. obviously, i'll burn a different amount of calories walking 3 miles than someone else will.
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    Yes, walking 10 minutes burns less calories than walking 1 hour. However, you have to take into account people's circumstances. Maybe a person moved from being completely sedentary, sitting on a couch all the day, to walking 10 minutes a day. As long as they start doing something for themselves,they should be proud. Exercise is not easy for everyone, so it's valuable that people at least do something, one step at a time. On the other hand, some people do have physical limitations and can't do more. One must be aware of someone's circumstance before giving such a harsh opinion
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ive logged cleaning and various other day to day activites in the past,but hey what do I know ive only lost 55 pounds.
  • spaztastic13
    spaztastic13 Posts: 229
    Options
    Ive logged cleaning and various other day to day activites in the past,but hey what do I know ive only lost 55 pounds.

RIGHT!!!!!!!
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    My husband has always mowed our lawn and since I joined this site I asked him to let me do it, I push mow the lawn and it takes me close to an hour to do it. It gives me a great work out and more sweat than anything else I can do. To some it may be normal activity but to me it is a huge work out. This last time I was very proud to finish the whole thing without taking a break which to me shows I am slowly getting healthier!!!!! I have only loss 20 lbs but that also is a huge achievement to me, generally I give up before I get this far!!!!! So what is an achievement to one may not be to the next..... each of our journeys are different!!!!!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Exactly! I've "only" lost 64 pounds, so I must not know what "real" exercise is.

;-)

Kris
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    FYI: Per my HRM, I burnt over 400 calories today scrubbing floors and carrying boxes around my house, and that is with 60 cals/hour subtracted out to account for what I would have burned if I were just sitting on my *kitten*. When I push mow my yard for an hour, I burn close to 500. When I go running I barely get to 300. How are the first two less effective? A calorie burned is a calorie burned, it doesn't really matter how it happened.

Also, walking for ten minutes really is intense exercise for someone who is very overweight. Not everyone can afford gym memberships and/or childcare to be able to go to one. Some people have bad knees and aren't able to do exercise dvd's at home. You shouldn't judge what others do when you do not know their circumstance.