Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    brillmer87 wrote: »
    You know what I hate at the gym? 2 things really...

1. I hate to see people doing unsafe lifts either because their form is bad or because they are trying to lift too much for working sets

2. People who are paying WAY TOO MUCH ATTENTION TO OTHER PEOPLE.

I notice stuff, I might mention extreme examples of #1 to my husband or FL --- but generally speaking IDGAF because I am there to do my lifts to the best of my ability and get out. I am not there to worry if I am bugging anyone else, I am mannerly and don't hog equipment but I am paying to be there. So I am going to do what I need to do, however I need to do it and get out.

The end.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh.. I kind of have a problem with #1 if you're not saying anything.

This is no joke. I see people doing squats with horrible form, deadlifting with rounded backs.. and its seriously dangerous. if you see someone with bad form, tell them, anyone with half a brain will appreciate it

I told a dude last month he was deadlifting with a rounded back and needed to drop his weight and perfect his form, he ignored me, said hed be fine and hes been lifting for a while, and then i didnt see him for a month

saw him earlier this week and he said he messed up his back and couldnt walk for a few weeks and he really regretted not taking my advice

were no experts, but if you see something that looks off, it probably is.
    protect your fellow humans

the end.

Nope, not my place to educate. I am not a trainer and I do not have any specialized knowledge or know these people's circumstances. If you are dumb enough to try to push/pull heavy weight without doing your due diligence and you injure yourself, absolutely nothing anyone says will change what they are doing. As you learned with your deadlifting friend.

People don't listen and I don't offer advice unless asked, because like I said, I have gym manners.

I understand where you're coming from, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying... but just watching it and telling your husband or FL and not doing anything doesn't seem like the correct strategy to me.

Tell a trainer at the gym, something.
    How would you feel if you were doing something with the wrong form (it's not like these people are doing it with bad form on purpose).. someone sees and doesn't say anything and you end up hurting yourself!

My 2 cents.

back on topic, i don't like when people throw the weights around or let go of the cables way too high and break the equipment.

Because I care what you think is the correct strategy in dealing with my life, which you have zero personal experience with? Much like a person at the gym doing it wrong, inserting your opinion into a situation in which you have NO authority or experience and it wasn't ASKED FOR isn't likely to be effective anyway.

Let me help you out here... My gym does not have trainers. It's a 24/7, old school gym equipment. The people I see doing it wrong are usually being "coached" by a significant other who is more in shape. I video myself and ask for form feedback from people I trust. I watch videos and read and educate myself so I don't get hurt. Because I am responsible for me. People doing it wrong?

They are responsible for them.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    lmr0528 wrote: »
    I know it can't be helped but it still bothers me. If I go to the gym around 7-8am on weekends, there's this guy who gets on a treadmill and sweats a ridiculous amount. I mean, there'll be a puddle on the machine, all over the top, beads of sweat flying on the machines next to it. He cleans it all up when he's done, but still it grosses me out so much. I think if I sweat that much, I'd save up my money for however long it took to buy a treadmill for my house.

If you aren't sweating that much maybe you are dehydrated or not pushing hard enough?
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    On the topic of change rooms, when girls leave their hair everywhere and just general inconsiderate habits. Take a paper towel and give your space a quick wipe. I don't want your hair sicking to my sandal or arm *shudder*
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    lmr0528 wrote: »
    I know it can't be helped but it still bothers me. If I go to the gym around 7-8am on weekends, there's this guy who gets on a treadmill and sweats a ridiculous amount. I mean, there'll be a puddle on the machine, all over the top, beads of sweat flying on the machines next to it. He cleans it all up when he's done, but still it grosses me out so much. I think if I sweat that much, I'd save up my money for however long it took to buy a treadmill for my house.

And now I know why I don't go to public gyms. Lord forbid someone there thinks I sweat too much...at a gym.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I don't like to complain.
  • AnthonyThrashD_
    AnthonyThrashD_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The pretty women who wear yoga pants on treadmills in front of my treadmill. Sigh, I've almost killed myself a couple times staring at their bottoms xD

I wouldn't want them to stop :D we're just complaining, it's all I had
  • brillmer87
    brillmer87 Posts: 1,977 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

1. I hate to see people doing unsafe lifts either because their form is bad or because they are trying to lift too much for working sets

I notice stuff, I might mention extreme examples of #1 to my husband or FL --- but generally speaking IDGAF because I am there to do my lifts to the best of my ability and get out. I am not there to worry if I am bugging anyone else, I am mannerly and don't hog equipment but I am paying to be there. So I am going to do what I need to do, however I need to do it and get out.

The end.

This is no joke. I see people doing squats with horrible form, deadlifting with rounded backs.. and its seriously dangerous. if you see someone with bad form, tell them, anyone with half a brain will appreciate it

I told a dude last month he was deadlifting with a rounded back and needed to drop his weight and perfect his form, he ignored me, said hed be fine and hes been lifting for a while, and then i didnt see him for a month

saw him earlier this week and he said he messed up his back and couldnt walk for a few weeks and he really regretted not taking my advice

the end.

Nope, not my place to educate. I am not a trainer and I do not have any specialized knowledge or know these people's circumstances. If you are dumb enough to try to push/pull heavy weight without doing your due diligence and you injure yourself, absolutely nothing anyone says will change what they are doing. As you learned with your deadlifting friend.

People don't listen and I don't offer advice unless asked, because like I said, I have gym manners.

I understand where you're coming from, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying... but just watching it and telling your husband or FL and not doing anything doesn't seem like the correct strategy to me.

How would you feel if you were doing something with the wrong form (it's not like these people are doing it with bad form on purpose).. someone sees and doesn't say anything and you end up hurting yourself!

My 2 cents.

back on topic, i don't like when people throw the weights around or let go of the cables way too high and break the equipment.

Because I care what you think is the correct strategy in dealing with my life, which you have zero personal experience with? Much like a person at the gym doing it wrong, inserting your opinion into a situation in which you have NO authority or experience and it wasn't ASKED FOR isn't likely to be effective anyway.

Let me help you out here... My gym does not have trainers. It's a 24/7, old school gym equipment. The people I see doing it wrong are usually being "coached" by a significant other who is more in shape. I video myself and ask for form feedback from people I trust. I watch videos and read and educate myself so I don't get hurt. Because I am responsible for me. People doing it wrong?

Maybe we just have different environments at our gyms. I've had people correct me on my form when I was new to lifting, and I appreciated it.

I've given advice to new people at the gym, and they appreciated it.

It's a community. Were all there for the same reason, to better ourselves. What's wrong with taking advice from someone more experienced on the matter than you?

When I started my fitness journey, I was 250 pounds and completely clueless. I researched, learned, watched videos and educated myself. But not everybody has that type of mentality. Why not share your knowledge with others?

I'm sorry, I'm clearly in the minority here but this is surprising to me.
    I'm not saying to go around to everyone at the gym and act like a trainer, but if you see someone in serious jeopardy of hurting themselves, why wouldn't you say something? Or at least bring it to their attention. Most people don't take videos of themselves working out, don't do form checks..

take any other life situation where you see someone is about to hurt themselves, wouldn't you yell WATCH OUT or something!?!?

I don't know, I guess I'm a weirdo.
    Jacwhite22 wrote: »

The end.

the end.

My 2 cents.

Bro....Not to be negative...and don't take this the wrong way...but seriously? DYEL?
    nah dude, pink dumbbells only. i lost 70+ pounds through pink dumbbells and starving myself. i'm super fit like that~

• aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    When "my" equipment or space are in use. Don't they know that I always use that piece of equipment and like to be in a certain spot. That and heavy perfume/cologne.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    aerochic42 wrote: »
    When "my" equipment or space are in use. Don't they know that I always use that piece of equipment and like to be in a certain spot. That and heavy perfume/cologne.

#Preach
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

The end.

the end.

My 2 cents.

Maybe we just have different environments at our gyms. I've had people correct me on my form when I was new to lifting, and I appreciated it.

It's a community. Were all there for the same reason, to better ourselves. What's wrong with taking advice from someone more experienced on the matter than you?

When I started my fitness journey, I was 250 pounds and completely clueless. I researched, learned, watched videos and educated myself. But not everybody has that type of mentality. Why not share your knowledge with others?

I'm not saying to go around to everyone at the gym and act like a trainer, but if you see someone in serious jeopardy of hurting themselves, why wouldn't you say something? Or at least bring it to their attention. Most people don't take videos of themselves working out, don't do form checks..

take any other life situation where you see someone is about to hurt themselves, wouldn't you yell WATCH OUT or something!?!?

The end.

the end.

My 2 cents.

Bro....Not to be negative...and don't take this the wrong way...but seriously? DYEL?
    nah dude, pink dumbbells only. i lost 70+ pounds through pink dumbbells and starving myself. i'm super fit like that~

I mean losing weight is great. Congrats. You just don't seem to have a whole lot of lean mass. It was a serious question. What type of lifting to you do? Have you ever tried Tae Bo?

• brillmer87
    edited January 2016
    Options

The end.

the end.

My 2 cents.

The end.

the end.

My 2 cents.

I mean losing weight is great. Congrats. You just don't seem to have a whole lot of lean mass. It was a serious question. What type of lifting to you do? Have you ever tried Tae Bo?

Lol. And you're basing that on...?
    I do all your standard compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, barbell rows, bench (incline/decline) etc

I injured myself playing competitive sports so I focus much more on form then trying to lift super heavy and impress people at the gym or on the interwebs, ya dig?
  • brillmer87
    edited January 2016
    Options
    double posts are fun
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

The end.

the end.

My 2 cents.

The end.

the end.

My 2 cents.

Just because somebody has gone to a specific gym longer than me doesn't mean they are more experienced.

And much life MFP, we're not all at the gym for the same reason. Nobody is there to get hurt, I am sure. My goals at this point are mostly strength related - I am certain the goals of maybe of my gym goers are weight loss related. I don't assume that anything I have to say to people I don't know is relevant to their lives in anyway.

If somebody was going to possibly kill themselves (like loading up a squat bar with 900 pounds), I might ask if they've done that before. If somebody has a 400 bench press bar loaded, I might ask if they need a spot. But if somebody's form is off and they haven't asked me about it? Nope.

And if you are going to be lifting serious weight and it doesn't occur to you to video yourself, ask for feedback and research --- you are asking to get hurt.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Most frustrating thing in the gym is when people grunt. Ffs, no one to hear their sex noise and see cum face.

Apologies for being too forward!

I can't even with some of these responses. Why is the sound and facial expressions somebody makes in the gym equated to sex?

When I hear somebody grunt or see somebody make a facial expression when lifting I think "Gee, that must be heavy weight for them. Good for them for pushing their body to high limits"

What I don't think is "Gee, sounds like somebody is having sex in the gym. Oh, I bet that's what their face looks like right before ejaculation!"

I am okay with grunting but I have heard some pretty strange noises coming from the rack area of my gym. I was working about be side one guy and the grunting and other noises was to much. I found it very hard not to laugh at him. How really needs to say the following really "oh yeah you got this" over and over every time he did a set of bench presses. I was wearing headphones and could still hear him. There was another guy how grunted, moaned and he really did sound like he was having sex in the gym. I understand that some noise is going to happen but sometimes it really is over the top and can be distracting.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    I do all your standard compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, barbell rows, bench (incline/decline) etc

I injured myself playing competitive sports so I focus much more on form then trying to lift super heavy and impress people at the gym or on the interwebs, ya dig?

I was basing that on all of your pictures you have posted in your profile. Gotcha...Don't want to bulk up so you stay in the high rep toning range. I can appreciate that. Is that a no on Tae bo?

• dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    dapunks wrote: »
    Most frustrating thing in the gym is when people grunt. Ffs, no one to hear their sex noise and see cum face.

Apologies for being too forward!

I can't even with some of these responses. Why is the sound and facial expressions somebody makes in the gym equated to sex?

When I hear somebody grunt or see somebody make a facial expression when lifting I think "Gee, that must be heavy weight for them. Good for them for pushing their body to high limits"

What I don't think is "Gee, sounds like somebody is having sex in the gym. Oh, I bet that's what their face looks like right before ejaculation!"

I am okay with grunting but I have heard some pretty strange noises coming from the rack area of my gym. I was working about be side one guy and the grunting and other noises was to much. I found it very hard not to laugh at him. Who really needs to say the following really "oh yeah you got this" over and over every time he did a set of bench presses. I was wearing headphones and could still hear him. There was another guy how grunted, moaned and he really did sound like he was having sex in the gym. I understand that some noise is going to happen but sometimes it really is over the top and can be distracting.

• brillmer87
    edited January 2016
    Options

I was basing that on all of your pictures you have posted in your profile. Gotcha...Don't want to bulk up so you stay in the high rep toning range. I can appreciate that. Is that a no on Tae bo?

My shirtless pics are about 2 years old, friend.
    My goals are pretty simple, feel good about myself, be healthy and look good naked.
    That is a no on the Tae Bo.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    The pretty women who wear yoga pants on treadmills in front of my treadmill. Sigh, I've almost killed myself a couple times staring at their bottoms xD

I wouldn't want them to stop :D we're just complaining, it's all I had

LOL.. at my gym the ellipticals and bikes are in front of the treadmills. I workout on the elliptical and wonder when there are guys on the treadmill behind me if they are watching me.. I wouldnt want them to get hurt.. you know. for their safety...