Any other lazy people?

Options
I am SO lazy! Any tips that you've used to get yourself moving or working out?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I used to be, then I found a workout I really enjoyed. That's the biggest piece of advice I can give you. Doesn't matter if it's dancing, hiking, swimming, playing softball, or whatever. Find an activity you enjoy doing and you'll do it more often.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly a go-getter, but after nearly a year of consistently working out, I find I'm not quite as lazy as I thought- just didn't have much energy before. Commit to it for a while and see if you don't like the way you feel.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty lazy. I found a workout I enjoy and now it's become part of my life. There's no "missing a workout" unless I'm really sick. Find something you love.
  • farbs
    farbs Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah i'm lazy too - I used to only do running for my cardio, which I don't enjoy - but, even though its early days, I've started playing tennis as I really enjoy it - and it's getting me up in the mornings! Hoping to continue to play it 3-4 times a week and as I get some energy back, get back into weights

So as other people have said...find something you love doing to get you out there.
  • woodsgirlkim
    woodsgirlkim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started and I feel so lazy all the time... I feel this way due to an unhealthy lifestyle. I found a video on YouTube called Zumba dance workout fitness for beginners step by step by just new. It was simple enough for me to follow and got me up.... I find if someone knows that I need to workout I'm more apt as long as they ask me about my journey to feel better about myself. Good luck! Friend me if you want.
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    After I found the Zombies, Run! app I finally started running and I haven't stopped.
    As a habit, I mean. I haven't been running non-stop for 6 months. That would be ludicrous.
    But really, gameifying exercise really helped me.

Oh yeah, also - going straight into exercise after getting home (from work, or otherwise). I bike from the train station to my house, and when I get home I throw on my exercise clothes and head right back outside. I find if I sit down "for just a second" after I get home, that second can turn into hours. If I do it while I'm on autopilot I do it without excuses.
  • UltimateMedu
    UltimateMedu Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh me too trust me! I literally had to force myself to try a workout (my problem is always the first step) and after that workout I enjoy them every time I do. Not sure if it makes sense but take that first (or next) step and try it out and try other types of course too! You never know, you may like it. :smile:
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm super-lazy and slothful but I'll pretend I'm not and then pow, stuff gets done. The gym gets gymmed.
    Dunno, it's like magic.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I used to be lazy buy then I realised I prefer being active and feeling good about myself and my body than being lazy and feeling fat!
  • MandyJ758
    MandyJ758 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My secret to not be lazy and to get up and hit the gym is self motivation for me...
    When I wake in the morning with this voice in my head, 'we can go tomorrow' I kick him out the door and think of my goals I've set for myself. I tell myself I'm not going to get there by laying in bed.
    Works for me
  • lizkharvey
    lizkharvey Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks, every one! This is all very motivational!! I just gotta do it. Hope I can find something I love, too. Haven't, yet.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Caitoriri wrote: »
    After I found the Zombies, Run! app I finally started running and I haven't stopped.
    As a habit, I mean. I haven't been running non-stop for 6 months. That would be ludicrous.
    But really, gameifying exercise really helped me.

Oh yeah, also - going straight into exercise after getting home (from work, or otherwise). I bike from the train station to my house, and when I get home I throw on my exercise clothes and head right back outside. I find if I sit down "for just a second" after I get home, that second can turn into hours. If I do it while I'm on autopilot I do it without excuses.

This! I have to get straight home from work, get changed, and go straight back out the door. If I sit down, that's it i'm not going anywhere lol

As others have said, find something you enjoy, I always got dragged to the gym by my partner as he really enjoys it, but I never did, I used to be counting down each nanosecond until it was all over and it's so hard to get motivated to do something you don't like (not my fellas fault, I used to hide how I felt about it as I knew how much he liked it, and I knew deep down I should be doing something.)

Then I decided to go back to things I used to enjoy years ago, and for me that happens to be yoga and running, so now it's not so bad, I still have to kick myself up the backside at times but once you get into a routine it makes it so much easier to motivate yourself.
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Problem with me is that there's no heart rate increasing activity I enjoy. So I don't know how I'm going to stay on this regimen, of HIIT/strength I'm on.

I treat and dread it like punishment, very important and necessary punishment. :s
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Laziness is an underrated quality I do things i enjoy like zumba ( dance) or kickboxing or hiking but cannot be motivated to get on a treadmill
    I think moving in a way thats fun is better and feels less punishing than doing some thing you don't enjoy for the sake of doing it like running on a treadmill going nowhere
    Reminds me of a hamster in a wheel in a cage
  • bkhadijah
    bkhadijah Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I could never spend two hours at the gym. Even an hour would be pushing it. I get bored easily. What works for me is short workout dvd's like Zumba and 30DS. 20-30 minutes long. Theres a bunch of stuff on youtube as well. Something is better than nothing. As for getting motivated to turn on the dvd... it helps if I do it in the morning. Get it out the way and be done with it.
  • katefitz96
    katefitz96 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find that making concrete plans to work out really motivates me to do it. If I block off an hour in my calendar, I feel more obligated to spend at least most of that hour on fitness. Also, I do short, varied workouts to keep my attention from wandering. I'm not the type of person that can do the same thing for half an hour, so I use 5-10 minute workout videos on youtube or elsewhere. When I start to get bored, I switch to another workout. It also forces me to pay more attention to what I'm doing rather than running on autopilot.
  • katherinegracex
    katherinegracex Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using spotebi beginner workout plan. It's four weeks and only working out 3 times a week.(workouts are 30 minutes) I just started and I'm in very bad shape so I just take it slow and when my laziness kicks in I just remind myself "I hate doing dishes but I still do them" and just work out. During my workout I remind myself that its ok it's taking me longer to do it and that taking breaks is ok and as long as I get through my work out I'm good. Hope this helps!
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think most people are lazy. I know I am!!!!! The only thing that got me out the door this morning was seeing this:

rj808go91bq1.jpg

Checking exercise off my to-do list seems to motivate me. I love seeing all my to-do things crossed through at the end of the day.
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    OOOH I LOVE THIS POST!!!!
    I am not really lazy, I love physical work, give me an outside job to do, paint the house, rake the yard, anything physical, but EXERCISE, YUK, I do kind of enjoy Zumba but getting myself started is a big problem.

If you can find an activity that seems more "productive" (i guess that is the right word) that also burns calories it doesn't feel so much like exercise.

Dogs are great, they need long walks, I can do 4 miles a day easily walking the dog, but by myself it would never happen,

Forget what mom told you about being efficient, Make 4 trips up those stairs to put away laundry instead of one, Don't Vacuum the floor, sweep it, (then vacuum if it still needs it)

don't use a riding mower with a bag to pick up debris, PUSH then Rake

strap on some ankle weights so that every step you take in a normal day is a couple lbs heavier

Quit looking for the close parking spaces, park as far away from the store or office as you can

Don't drive through the car wash, get out the water hose and do it yourself,
    Follow with a good hand waxing (that's a real work-out)

Add some energy and zip to your romantic encounters

just think about the little things you do every day and instead of doing it the simple and efficient way, find a way to make it utilize a little more energy to accomplish the same task.

This is the only thing that works for me, Granted it is not like a regimented exercise program, and you really can't log the calories, but trust me it is better than sitting around saying "ill exercise tomorrow"

• CardiganandFlannel
    CardiganandFlannel Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just do something you like that requires movement. Even shopping. Just part in the back!