MILK...

Options

Replies

• motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I am mildly lactose intolerant still if i drink whole milk diluted with water im fine but if i have skim or fat free i have symptoms
    I think its because of the whey added back into skim milk that gives me a problem
  • Talanch
    Talanch Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    I do almond milk because even a latte cause me stomach upset :(
    If I could drink regular milk, I feel like I would.

A latte is about 90% hot milk with a little bit of espresso and a tiny layer of foam, so that's not surprising if you can't drink a regular cup of milk either.

• Talanch
    Talanch Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't drink regular milk because it makes my acne flare up big time.
    I usually go for vanilla rice milk, because it's delicious :).
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk because I am not a cow so I dont drink cows milk :)
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    I drink almond milk because I am not a cow so I dont drink cows milk :)
    I don't drink almond milk because I'm not an almond.

• Melmo1988
    Options
    I knew I would get that response but it makes no sense. Cows milk is made by cows FOR baby cows. Almond milk is not made by almonds for almonds. Its made for people. We are the only species to drink the milk of another species and it makes no sense.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    For anyone interested in seeing why dairy is unhealthy and unethical:

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcN7SGGoCNI&h=DAQH3P3I0

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAn2aHbW_DI&app=desktop

But I wont argue with anyone, it's just pointless.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I knew I would get that response but it makes no sense. Cows milk is made by cows FOR baby cows. Almond milk is not made by almonds for almonds. Its made for people. We are the only species to drink the milk of another species and it makes no sense.
    I would imagine that is only because animals lack the dexterity of milking other animals, although I did have a dog who nursed orphaned kittens.

And almonds are not made for people. They're just one more food source that we've cultivated over eons of existence. Like cow's milk.

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

So by your logic, we should hook up women and milk them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

Many women do produce milk for their young, yes. Some of them even hook themselves up to machines. Probably better if you let them make the decision to do this on their own instead of making it for them though.
  • Melmo1988
    Options

LOL how do you come to that conclusion? Breastmilk is for babies, I have never heard of women being hooked up and milked.
    And I never said almonds were for people, I said we make almond milk for humans.

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My point was that the OP asked about the nutritional benefits of milk and its' substitutes. It does not appear that ethics is part of her equation.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    Well if we are just talking about health, dairy free milk is definitely healthier.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    We're also the only species who know how to use various refrigeration methods in order to keep milk fresh. That may be part of the reason why lemurs, goats, bobcats, capybara, etc. do not milk other species and drink their milk.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My point was that the OP asked about the nutritional benefits of milk and its' substitutes. It does not appear that ethics is part of her equation.

That might be a better response than talking about hooking women up to machines then.
  • forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Soy milk has decent protein but little calcium. Almond milk has decent calcium but little protein. Dairy milk is a good source of both. Commercial milk also has Vit A and D added. As well, dairy is usually cheaper.

Of course, you can always get almond and soy milk fortified but I would guess that adds to the cost.

So, unless you're lactose intolerant or have ethical concerns about dairy, I'd say go for dairy.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    We're also the only species who know how to use various refrigeration methods in order to keep milk fresh. That may be part of the reason why lemurs, goats, bobcats, capybara, etc. do not milk other species and drink their milk.

Milk is meant for baby animals. Kittens drink their mothers milk, puppies drink their mothers milk (Yes I know sometimes baby animals drink the milk of another animal if their mother has died but they are still baby animals) and baby cows drink their mothers milk. I bet most of you would not drink milk directly from the udder of a cow. People are meant to drink our mothers milk. Once we wean, we don't drink milk anymore. It's just odd that it is abnormal for say a 16 year old to drink pumped breastmilk but completely normal for him to drink a cows milk.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Milk is meant for baby animals. Kittens drink their mothers milk, puppies drink their mothers milk (Yes I know sometimes baby animals drink the milk of another animal if their mother has died but they are still baby animals) and baby cows drink their mothers milk. I bet most of you would not drink milk directly from the udder of a cow. People are meant to drink our mothers milk. Once we wean, we don't drink milk anymore. It's just odd that it is abnormal for say a 16 year old to drink pumped breastmilk but completely normal for him to drink a cows milk.

The dairy industry says otherwise.

Like it or not, drinking animal milk is completely normal for many cultures. Not all, but many. No matter how many Youtube videos you post claiming the contrary, that is a fact. Now do we need animal milk in our diets? Nope. Not any more than we need coffee or chocolate or steak or olives or tangerines or any other food item. But people are going to keep on eating/drinking those just like they will eat/drink milk and milk products because they are tasty and convenient.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

That's not true, many animals will suckle the young of other types of animals. They might not manufacture it and drink it from a cup but that is because they haven't evolved to do that.