Share a story about your Father

Options

Replies

• Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My Dad was ****ty and now he's dead. There's not really much positive to say about him, except that once he gave me tattoo money.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My dad and I have had a rough relationship, but not too bad. Although I don't remember, he swares this story started it all.

When I was about a year and a half old, he brought home a kitten from the farm. I loved that kitten. One day, Mom, Dad and I loaded into the truck, he put it in reverse and they heard this SQUEAK! He got out and sure enough, the kitten was under a tire. He and Mom didn't say much, she just gave him a questioning look and he said, "Yep." She said, "Don't tell her." He said he looked at me and I was looking at him like - well, as if he had just run over my kitten. He swares I already knew and haven't forgiven him yet.

One of my favorite memories of him is one day when I was doing dishes, I splashed a little water on him. He scooped me up, carried me into the bathroom, threw me in the shower and turned it on cold. I never splashed him again. :laugh:
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I had the BEST dad...he always wanted the best for us, worked hard for us, loved us.
    Even though he passed a while ago (way too young and too soon) he is always with me.

Funny, fun loving, sincere, generous Dad and grand dad. Remembered always. Close in heart.

Love you, Dad, Miss you.
    :heart:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    My dad once told me I should get a job at the bunny ranch,I think he was kidding.He had a very weird sense of humor like me.He also looked like a cross between a scary moutain man or a bike lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    On February 26, 2010, my father unexpected passed away. There was a big snowstorm, and he stubbornly refused to wait for help before digging out. He cleared the sidewalks, came inside, took off his coat, and collapsed on his way to his chair. He obviously wasn't in any great discomfort... if he was, he would have taken one of his nitro tablets, or used the cell phone in his pocket. My brother, an EMT, found him no more than 10 minutes later, performed CPR, but it was too late...

The following was the eulogy I gave at his memorial service:

Just about all little girls want to grow up and marry someone like her daddy. That wasn’t enough for me. I wanted to BE my dad. He was my hero. It started when I was young… I was about two years old when I cut my face shaving, imitating Dad. And it continued as I got a little older, and spent just as much time playing in his workshop as I did my Mom’s sewing room. I can’t count the number of times I had my bangs singed while helping him solder or weld something.

It was when I bought my house that Dad and I really bonded… over our mutual love of power tools. He taught me how to lay tile, frame out a wall, put up sheet rock, hook up a sink, run electrical – though it still scares me – and replace light fixtures. Even growing up in a generation when girls didn’t do such things, he never discouraged me from my love of being a handyman. Nor did he think it was odd that I could talk poop and fart jokes like a guy, and have a bizarre fascination with Vikings. In fact, he sometimes joked that I was the son he never had... and I have four older brothers. Well, I guess that’s true. I’m his only son with a double-x chromosome.

I know he was proud of the things I was able to accomplish, thanks to his guidance. Not that he’d tell me in so many words. To my face, he’d say, “Well, your place doesn’t look like the same dump you bought.” But then he’d tell my sister, “Wow, you should see how Lori fixed up her house. It looks great!”

I was the last one to talk to Dad the day he passed. And the conversation couldn’t have been more normal. He bemoaned the weather and hoped there wouldn’t be a flood when it melted. He laughed about how annoying that Octo-mom’s laugh was. He joked about the house being too big for him and he wanted to take in roommates. College girl roommates. He talked about how he missed Sunshine Supermarket now that they closed, and how their bathrooms were always clean. That’s a priority!

But one thing we always talked about was our pets. Dad loved animals. He had a special affinity towards dogs. Every dog we’ve ever owned loved him best. And nobody loved him as much as his old boy Chester, his 17 year old Terrier mix. It didn’t matter that I was the one who trained him, that Mom was the one who fed him and let him outside, or that Cindy was the one who took him for walks, Dad was Chet’s favorite. He’d run up and check on him if Dad so much as sneezed. He’d always sit between Dad’s legs, with his tail thump-thump-thumping if he heard the word “dog” or “cookie.” Dad would often complain that Chet wanted to be where he was at all times. He’d always say, “I’d go outside, and the dog would want to go outside. I’d go inside, and the second I sat down, ‘woof!’ the dog would want to come back in with me.” He even followed Dad into the swimming pool, climbing the ladder, and walking around the edge until he found a raft, then jumping aboard.

Chester died the day after Dad. I think it was a broken heart. He was lost without Dad. And honestly, I can just hear Dad saying, “The dog follows me everywhere. I go outside, the dog wants to go outside. I go to Heaven and no sooner did I sit down, and ‘woof!’ there’s the dog again, following me.”
  • elleninez
    elleninez Posts: 44
    Options
    I miss my Daddy dearly. He'll have been gone 11 years this July. He and I fought like cats & dogs, but I think it's because I'm just too much like him in a lot of ways. Mix the same temper with differing opinions, and you occasionally get an explosion :)

One of my favorite memories is us walking on the creekbank looking for fossils for my science class. We found quite a few, and I took them in to school, but never got them back. I wish I had them now :(
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I joined the Marines on a 6 month delay program when I was a senior in HS. Dad was a former Marine and tried to talk me into joining another branch of the service. Didn't want to see me go to Viet Nam. I could not be swayed. I wanted to be a Marine; just like my Dad and his Dad.

My Father drove me to the Recruiter on the day I was to leave. We sat around and waited for me to be sworn in vbefore hopping on the bus to San Diego. My Dad got up, excused himself and went to the bathroom. When they came to get me and be sworn in, my Father couldn't be found. I was sworn in and got on the bus without saying goodbye.

A couple weeks after I started Boot Camp, I received a letter from my Dad.

It was an apology for slipping away from the recruiters like he did. He told me how proud he was and that he left because he didn't want me to see him cry.
    my dad had tears in his eyes as he turned away from the bus that took me to meps where I was sworn into the usmc. My dad didn't want me to see those tears. Like you I joined to be like my Dad but I was on a 12 mo delayed enlistment.

Dad raised me and my sister after our mom died when I was 5, I thank God everyday he didn't die in that same accident.
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My daddy passed away in 1986 when I was just 14. It totally rocked my world to it's core. He was an awesome man, who showed me how a daddy treats his daughter, who showed me what to not to take from a man, who showed me that real men treat you with respect, open the car door for you, and treat you like a princess. I so wish my daddy could have met my children. I know he would have just ate them up...especially my youngest Jesse, who is named after him. I miss you and love you daddy...I hope I've made you proud.
  • acave9406
    acave9406 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I usually just stayed away from my father, he was a mean hurtful person who just seemed so selfish with his drinking/drugs, when I was in high school he changed his life and told me he was going to start going to church and turn his life over to god I brushed it off but it's been about 6 years and he is a completely different man who I can actually say I am so so proud of.:happy: :bigsmile: :heart:
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    On February 26, 2010, my father unexpected passed away. There was a big snowstorm, and he stubbornly refused to wait for help before digging out. He cleared the sidewalks, came inside, took off his coat, and collapsed on his way to his chair. He obviously wasn't in any great discomfort... if he was, he would have taken one of his nitro tablets, or used the cell phone in his pocket. My brother, an EMT, found him no more than 10 minutes later, performed CPR, but it was too late...

The following was the eulogy I gave at his memorial service:

Just about all little girls want to grow up and marry someone like her daddy. That wasn’t enough for me. I wanted to BE my dad. He was my hero. It started when I was young… I was about two years old when I cut my face shaving, imitating Dad. And it continued as I got a little older, and spent just as much time playing in his workshop as I did my Mom’s sewing room. I can’t count the number of times I had my bangs singed while helping him solder or weld something.

It was when I bought my house that Dad and I really bonded… over our mutual love of power tools. He taught me how to lay tile, frame out a wall, put up sheet rock, hook up a sink, run electrical – though it still scares me – and replace light fixtures. Even growing up in a generation when girls didn’t do such things, he never discouraged me from my love of being a handyman. Nor did he think it was odd that I could talk poop and fart jokes like a guy, and have a bizarre fascination with Vikings. In fact, he sometimes joked that I was the son he never had... and I have four older brothers. Well, I guess that’s true. I’m his only son with a double-x chromosome.

I know he was proud of the things I was able to accomplish, thanks to his guidance. Not that he’d tell me in so many words. To my face, he’d say, “Well, your place doesn’t look like the same dump you bought.” But then he’d tell my sister, “Wow, you should see how Lori fixed up her house. It looks great!”

I was the last one to talk to Dad the day he passed. And the conversation couldn’t have been more normal. He bemoaned the weather and hoped there wouldn’t be a flood when it melted. He laughed about how annoying that Octo-mom’s laugh was. He joked about the house being too big for him and he wanted to take in roommates. College girl roommates. He talked about how he missed Sunshine Supermarket now that they closed, and how their bathrooms were always clean. That’s a priority!

But one thing we always talked about was our pets. Dad loved animals. He had a special affinity towards dogs. Every dog we’ve ever owned loved him best. And nobody loved him as much as his old boy Chester, his 17 year old Terrier mix. It didn’t matter that I was the one who trained him, that Mom was the one who fed him and let him outside, or that Cindy was the one who took him for walks, Dad was Chet’s favorite. He’d run up and check on him if Dad so much as sneezed. He’d always sit between Dad’s legs, with his tail thump-thump-thumping if he heard the word “dog” or “cookie.” Dad would often complain that Chet wanted to be where he was at all times. He’d always say, “I’d go outside, and the dog would want to go outside. I’d go inside, and the second I sat down, ‘woof!’ the dog would want to come back in with me.” He even followed Dad into the swimming pool, climbing the ladder, and walking around the edge until he found a raft, then jumping aboard.

Chester died the day after Dad. I think it was a broken heart. He was lost without Dad. And honestly, I can just hear Dad saying, “The dog follows me everywhere. I go outside, the dog wants to go outside. I go to Heaven and no sooner did I sit down, and ‘woof!’ there’s the dog again, following me.”

What a wonderful story about your dad! I loved this one! :heart:
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    At my father's funeral, I know I was expected to give the Eulogy. I was the oldest. I was dreading it. I'm not much for public speaking.

Just before the service, a very good friend of our family came to me. She said my father was so influential in her life and she would really like to give the eulogy and was asking for my approval.

It was a beautiful eulogy.

I could never have spoken without breaking down.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    my dad left me when i was 6 months old. he never attempted to contact me. i could pass him on the street & not even know it is him. i know he has two children now.. close to my age. i just dont umderstand that.
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Growing up, my father was super strict and there was he!! to pay if chores weren't done on his timetable and in his way. But then he would turn around and be the most fun and silly person you'd ever met. He would tickle me until I almost wet my pants and held my hand at the very edge of the Grand Canyon ( in 1972 before there were guard rails everywhere). When I got a busted lip on a ride at Disneyworld, he lept over the rails and scooped me up to carry me to the infirmary. I thought he was Superman!
    It wasn't until I was in my 20's that I really got to know my father as a person. I was no longer dependent on him and my mom and it was so nice to talk to him and learn his story. We would do this for hours on the summer weekends out on the lake fishing. After battling emphesyma for more than 20 years, he passed away in January of 2010 and I miss him every day. But, when I hear my son talk about the things he used to do with Papa and how much fun they were, I know my dad has left a legacy that will be with us forever.

Some things about my dad that I think are interesting...
    * The house he was born in had a dirt floor. Back then is was called a "swept floor."
    * When his dad caught him smoking at age 12, he made my dad eat the rest of the cigarettes in the pack. Unfortunately, he
    started smoking continuously when he was in the Navy.
    *When he was a senior in high school, his class took a trip from Wharton, TX (south of Houston) to NYC by school bus. They
    carried cots with them and would stop at schools along the way to sleep in the gym.
    * He served in the Navy and ran the officer's club at the base in Guam.
    * He was a career policeman (28 years with Houston PD then 15 years with Klein PD).
    * He was a member of the Masons and served on the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo committee for over 20 years.
    * He was an avid Houston Oilers fan.
    * He walked all 3 of his daughters down the aisle and was able to be a significant part in the lives of all 5 of his grandchildren.

Sorry if this is long and rambling. Its more nostalgia for me than interesting reading material for anyone else. So, thanks for letting me share some of my daddy with you.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

That was the sweetest story ever
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    my dad left me when i was 6 months old. he never attempted to contact me. i could pass him on the street & not even know it is him. i know he has two children now.. close to my age. i just dont umderstand that.

I'm sorry to hear that. This is almost the exact situation in my husband's life except he has met him once in life when he was 15. He made my hubby (young boy then) think that he'd keep in touch and never did. Then recently about a yr ago, my hubby again reached out to him. The conversation was about literally a minute long and again, made my hubby think there'd be future contact. Nothing to this day.

I don't understand this. I dont' understand how a man can sleep at night not knowing where his child is regardless of the circumstances. My husband suffers with his manhood because of this (not knowing about simple manly things in life) and it hurts me to see him feel lost sometimes.
  • MNLopez
    MNLopez Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Today, 14 years ago we lost our father to cancer. Although I miss him terribly, I do hang on to all of the wonderful memories we created together. My daddy was a huge storyteller and loved to tell a joke! You could hear him laughing a mile away! Oh how I miss our conversations. He did not speak English very fluently, but when he tried it was a riot!! The one thing that he instilled in all of his children (7 of us) was work ethics! When we first came to the USA he had two jobs and slept very little. He worked his day job 6am-9pm come home and sleep for about 3-4 hours then we would head to the night job cleaning a Burger King. Being new to a big city, he would haul all of kids with him and my mom, we would get bak home at 5am and he would leave to his day job. We spent our first Christmas here cleaning that Burger King. He had to do what he had to do to make end meet and never took a hand out from the government...we never saw one food stamp. Eventually my mom got a job as a custodian at a school and as soon as we got into our teenage years we all started working. I have been working since I was 14 years old and have only been unemployed once for 9 monhs due to a layoff. My dad would be so proud of us today...all 7 of his children are good hardworking, law abiding citizens. He taught us well!

Need to stop before I start crying. Thank you for letting me share!!
  • emeraldpearl
    emeraldpearl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Papa was a rolling stone, wherever he laid his hat was his home.
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My dad passed away 14 yrs ago from cancer. He was my rock. I had a great childhood. Me, my brother, my mam and my dad. I'm very like my dad. Slow to anger, but god help you if you're around if I do loose it!!

I got pregnant at 20. My mother was devestated. My father was my rock. My world went mad, but my dad kept me safe.. My son spent 7 yrs with my dad.. I'd go to work every day and when I'd get home in the evening, my mam would say.. Dad took A out this morning, they arrived back at 1 for lunch, were gone again by 2 and I haven't seen them since. My parents were the best ever, minding my son while I went out to work, went back to college... I could live my life and be a single mam all because they were there...

My dad did caretaker work when he retired so he took my son with him everyday doing all the little jobs. At his funeral, so so many people shook my hand that I had never met and each one of them knew my son.. These were all the people they would meet out doing their jobs everyday.

I still talk to him constantly. Still rely on him to be my rock. My son had a father figure for his first 7 yrs and he still remembers him, still talks about him.

My dad was quiet, very intelligent and I'll always always thank him for being my wonderful dad..

Love you dad - but sure you know that!!
  • jacolyncoker123
    Options
    My dad hasn't talked to me in over 9 months, and I haven't seen him since i was a sophomore in highschool. I just graduated last month.

I hate fathers day, and what is ironic is my birthday always fall on or near it.