Trying Ketosis for a change

Options
Hello everyone. I am not exactly new to this app and website, but I am new to the community. I've used MFP on and off and last I was here was probably a year ago. Never had much success because I'd lack motivation given that I had no friends and kept to myself.
This time those college freshman 15 pounds have hit (more like junior 20) and I am determined to keep motivated and active both in real life and on MFP. I recently heard about the ketosis process and the great scientific and real benefits. I am new at this completely so I would very much appreciate help in the form of friends to keep me motivated. Preferably others who follow the low carb high fat type diet so I can get meal ideas and advice.
Thank you in advance. Good luck to everyone here on your goals.

Replies

• RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm only considering cetosis but I'm not sure whether I need to try this as I'm losing quickly enough with a fairly balanced diet and some more movement. I'm more likely to do the ketogenic "diet"one or two days a week but don't know if it will be of any use then.
  • bpwolf77
    bpwolf77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pretty good on logging meals on mfp, but wasn't really losing weight till I started doing a nutritional ketosis diet. I've gone from maybe losing 5 pounds a month to losing 5 pounds a week. I went from 200 pounds in March of 2011 to a high of 348 in September of 2015. I'm currently at 307.
  • crazeybitch2016
    crazeybitch2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just started a Ketosis kick start plan on Monday! :)
  • joey4014
    joey4014 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hello to All. Thought it would be a good idea to connect with our mfp'ers especially the ones doing Keto since that's what I've currently been on for the past month. So... what's up: how is everyone progressing?
  • all4koi
    all4koi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out too although I've done a few trial weeks last year that really were amazing until I fell into my old rut again. Now I get it, you gotta be consistent cuz cheating will throw you out of ketosis and basically start over. Lifestyle change not a temporary diet. Otherwise we'll all be cussing at ourselves next year why we haven't lost the weight yet again.
  • jacksons2162
    jacksons2162 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My failure was eating too much meat and not enough veggies. I lost 12 pounds immediately but then plateau. I'm restarting again but making sure that my carbs come only from vegetables. Good luck!
  • joshuwaaa719
    joshuwaaa719 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I've been immersed in the nutrition/fitness realm for 10 years now as an Active Duty Marine. In that time I have tried all eating styles (read: Fad Diets, including Ketogenic Diets). Regardless of the specific type of eating style you choose, the biggest factor will be SUSTAINABILITY. Completely eliminating Carbs is NOT sustainable; furthermore, it's not required or even ideal. The primary factor responsible for weight loss experienced on a Keto diet is reduced overall calories. There is a style of eating called Flexible Dieting or If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) that is soooooo much more enjoyable, reliable and most importantly SUSTAINABLE! ***Just realized this kind of sounds like a sales pitch; please believe me that nothing is for sale here. I'm just trying to save you time and heartache and point you in (what I feel is) the right direction*** BTW, IIFYM + MFP = Match Made in Heaven!
    It's important to note that IIFYM is not a brand or specific diet; it's simply an eating philosophy that is backed by science and how the right macronutrient (Protein, Fat & Carbs) targets for you and your goal effect your results.

I'll drop a few links below...

Google Image Progress Pics
    https://www.google.com/search?q=iifym+before+and+after&safe=off&biw=1244&bih=726&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDosOaqqfKAhVGJKYKHR-lDXQQ_AUIBigB#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=iifym+before+and+after+results

Flexible Dieting Basics
    https://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting

Calculator that can help you to set your MACRO targets
    www.iifym.com --> Go to the IIFYM Calculator and enter your info. There is also a wealth of knowledge on this site.

***Again, DO NOT buy anything! This is just to arm you with a basic KNOWLEDGE FOUNDATION of how MACRO nutrition effects your body composition. All info on the web should be free, you already have a MFP account, the only thing left is your grocery bill made up of all the foods you already know and love! Good Luck, and if you can figure out a way to reach out to me through here, I am more than willing to assist further!
  • JQuinnLife
    JQuinnLife Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ketogenics is not only sustainable, but it takes almost around a month before you reap all the rewards of low-carb eating by become Keto-adapted.
  • JQuinnLife
    Options
    thinsified wrote: »
    I recently heard about the ketosis process and the great scientific and real benefits. I am new at this completely so I would very much appreciate help in the form of friends to keep me motivated. Preferably others who follow the low carb high fat type diet so I can get meal ideas and advice.
    Thank you in advance. Good luck to everyone here on your goals.

I have been doing strict ketogenic eating for around 3 months. You can add me as a friend and check out what I eat on a day to day basis to maintain my macros within the goals I have set for myself.

If you have any questions about ketogenics, ask me, or check out reddit.com/r/keto
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    Ketogenics is not only sustainable, but it takes almost around a month before you reap all the rewards of low-carb eating by become Keto-adapted.

I 100% agree! I find LCHF quite sustainable especially as the goal for most ketofiles is NOT to completely eliminate carbs, only to significantly reduce them to a leve that works for you (and this varies widely from person to person!). I strongly suggest that you check out the main low carber forum group here on MFP. It's where most of us ketofiles hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    How low is "low" carb?
    I do about 75g daily, more if I'm exercising more.
    I find that adjusting to lower carbs takes only a day or two.

I've now started to "cycle" those carbs, having 1 serving in the morning, 2 servings at lunch and 3 servings at dinner.
    Each meal has protein and fat, and veggies. and any snacks are non-starchy veggies.
    This prevents adrenal stress, and even corrects adrenal function.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    How low is "low" carb? I do about 75g daily, more if I'm exercising more./quote]

The answer to that question really depends upon what "low" carb means to you and more realistically what works for you after all we are all different and our bodies respond differently too. For some "low" carb means 100-150 carbs. For others "low" carb means 50-100 carbs and for still yet others "low" carb means 0-50 carbs. What really matters is what works for you. :)
  • Bmckae
    Bmckae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do low carb! I just got back on the band wagon, and I have lost ten pounds already this month. I usually try to keep under twenty carbs a meal, and under fifteen carbs for snacks overall for the day. I also stay under the 1200 calories. Lots of vegetables and meat! Eating foods like avocados that are high in fat also help. I also use a lot of the Atkins products too. If you want to see my food diary I can add you. Good luck!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Ditto @ladipoet on the Low Carbers group rec and the range of low carb diets.

I've tried a bunch of diet plans including WW, IIFYM, the Zone, Dukan Diet, a more moderate LCHF, and currently keto (even within that there is a range of carb amounts you can shoot for; some people go as high as 50 net per day and stay in ketosis).

I've been doing keto for 2.5 months now and I LOVE it. After I'm in maintenance i'll gradually increase carbs and calories but mostly just to add more veggies and maybe more fruits. I initially did it for weight loss b/c nothing else was working for me (I have PCOS and insulin resistance). Not only have I lost 16 lbs so far, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the other benefits:
    * My body is tolerating my MS med much better.
    * Overall far fewer GI problems than I'd been dealing with.
    * Far fewer carb/sugar cravings and I don't feel hungry ALL the time anymore.
    * The aching/inflammation in my joints that I'd developed over the past year has disappeared.
    * I have more energy.
    * Overall I feel calmer and more even-keeled.

None of the other diets I've tried, including other low carb diets, had those benefits. You definitely have to figure out what works for you since everyone is different but I'm sold and I am finding this more sustainable than I expected. At first I only wanted to do this for a few months to lose the 20 lbs I've gained but with the other benefits I've noticed, I plan to only add carbs/foods back in one at a time so I can figure out what I'm sensitive to and for maintenance, I'll end up at a carb level that works for me. (I'm guessing it might be in the 50-80 gm/day range, but we'll see. Again though, I have metabolic issues and major genetic loading for diabetes, so YMMV.)
  • JQuinnLife
    Options
    How low is "low" carb?
    I do about 75g daily, more if I'm exercising more.
    I find that adjusting to lower carbs takes only a day or two.

"Low" means "net carbs" (carbs-fiber) under 20g/day. Ketogenics does not allow any carbs, all 20g of those carbs comes mostly from vegetables.

At 260 lbs 6'5", in Ketostatis I work out with heavy lifting for 2-3 hours each day, and I can tell you my energy levels only rise.
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs sounds good but be careful, I thought when I saw this thread that ketosis was bad, so I looked it up. this qoute is from an article on web md"Ketosis can become dangerous when ketones build up. High levels lead to dehydration and change the chemical balance of your blood." you can read the whole article here http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/what-is-ketosis. My take away from the article is that ketosis is OK but only in moderation for very short periods of time. Also, just like all the other FADS out there, If you do not plan on keeping a low carb lifestyle after you lose your weight, it will just come right back on again. No one needs that frustration. Better to find healthier lifestyle changes that you can live withforever. It is a slower process but much healthier and more permanent.
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    just an additional tid bit... remember when you are thinking carbs you will be cutting out most fruits and Vegetables, where is your nutrition. maybe try just cutting the BAD carbs, rice, bread, pasta etc.. for your health you really need those veggies
  • thinsified
    thinsified Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I've gone ahead and added all of you. Haha the more friends the merrier.
    I just wanted to say how happy I am that I actually got replies and imput from so many of you. I didn't think anyone would care to reply, so thanks once again.

I also wanted to clarify a couple things. I am mostly trying keto temporarily to try and boost my weight loss at the beginning. I don't intend on necessarily staying and limiting my carb intake that much for a long period of time. I am aware it can be harmful if I'm not leading a fully balanced diet with nutrients and all. When I feel like I am ready I will ease into healthier carbs like some of you mentioned. I'm currently going to the Dr. for monthly blood tests and checkups so I do have proper ways of keeping an eye on my health in case keto isn't for me.

So far it has been great! I'm glad there are communities out there as supportive as you all. Thank you and good luck to everyone.