so full with 800+ calorie deficiency

Options
2»

Replies

• Flossycat100
    Flossycat100 Posts: 103
    Options
    I completely disagree with "eating your excercise calories". It may sound harsh, but I believe that that is taking the easy way out. The only real science is calories in vs. calories out. There is no reason to eat more than you need to, period. Eating more than you need to gets you into the spot that we are all in currently. My advice, don't eat the exercise calories! You will reach your goal a lot quicker AND you won't be having to force yourself to eat.

You'll also kick your body into starvation mode and wake up one morning twenty pounds heavier, with no clue what happened.

I would agree with those who are saying not to eat those exercise calories back religiously. I've been doing this for 7 months now and have yet to reach 'starvation mode'. Maybe I'll have to be a bit more careful when I approach my target weight but so long as I still have stones to lose and not just pounds, this approach is working just fine for me.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Try to remember to have breakfast, and carry something easy to snack on with you throughout the day. You are right, 800 worth of fruit is A LOT of fruit. I do agree with trying to eat nuts, or a protein bar. I disagree that you should eat back ALL of your exercise calories. I try to shoot for half, to account for "what if that was measured wrong" or "what if MFP says I burned more calories than I did".

As far as someone saying calories in < calories out, that is true, and MFP calculates that into your BASE calories for the day, that is why you should eat some of your exercise calories.

Edit: Oh, and, if your NET is still 1200 or higher...I wouldn't worry about it at all. My 1 pound / week calorie allowance is only 1220, so I pretty much HAVE to eat back most of my exercise calories at this point, but, if you have a pretty high allowance, as long as your net is over 1200, you will be fine :smile:
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread, the issue I see is that I hit my fat loss goal weight, and now want to bulk up. I too have a caloric deficeit, and full at the end of the day. If I don't eat my excersize cals, I continue to lose weight. Now what?

Going to be tough to bulk up with a caloric defecit. Look at more calorie dense foods. Nuts or avacado have healthy fats. Also drink some calories, but healthy one such as protein shakes. You can easily add a few hundred calories with two scoops a protein powder and some milk.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I noticed that 90% of the posters on this thread either just joined, have a very low post count, or both...which is FINE, but also means that most of you are new at this and uneducated in the ways MFP calculates your goals.

Please listen up:

Your daily calorie goal already includes a sizable deficit. You do NOT need, or WANT, to make it bigger by leaving calories uneaten at the end of the day. Your goal is a goal to REACH, not a goal to stay UNDER.

If you chose the recommended 1 lb per week your goal is 500 calories less than your maintenance amount, which is the amount you would eat to stay the same weight.

You need to EAT all the calories you are given to maintain that reasonable deficit. If you eat LESS than your goal, you are making that deficit way bigger and possibly hurting yourself in the process.

Your NET calories are shown on your homepage in that box right in the middle. At the end of your day, that NET should be equal to what your original goal was to start the day.
    Your calories in your diary should be equal to zero remaining, or within 100 regardless of if it goes red or not.

RED does NOT mean failure. You have a 500 (or more, if you chose 2 lbs per week) deficit. You would have to be RED by 500 to break even and maintain for the day.

You goal is based off of regular daily activity NOT including exercise, so on days you DO exercise, you HAVE TO eat them back to maintain the same daily deficit. it is NOT counterproductive, it is fueling your body for your workout!

If you DON'T eat them back you are creating a much larger deficit than you intended and are not getting adequate nutrition.

To the OP:
    you say you have an 800 calorie "deficit" at the end of the day...what you really mean is that you have 800 calories left to eat. If your goal was 1 lb per week, you already have a deficit of 500, so the 800 left uneaten makes it 1300! That is WAY too little to be holding back from your body each day.
    I understand that you get this and are trying to figure out ways to eat more, but it really isn't hard, just eat more. Healthy food. It's quite simple.

To the people who say they don't eat their exercise calories. That's all fine and good when you're morbidly obese and have a ton to lose, but once you are within 50 pounds of goal you need to be at 1 lb per week and EAT a LOT more.
    Within 20 lbs of goal, people need to be at .5 lb per week and eat even more.

To the person who is looking to bulk up:
    You need to eat a calorie SURPLUS to put on muscle. Calculate maintenance calories, set your diary to that amount, and aim to turn it RED, and with a LOT of protein daily (1g per pound of your weight is good). Lift HEAVY weight near to the point of failure.

Also, I must point out, WOMEN have a MINIMUM net of 1200 a day to be healthy (unless you are under 5 feet tall and under 100 pounds, then you MIGHT be able to get away with a little less)

MEN, on the other hand have a BARE MINIMUM of 1500 a day, and this site can't differentiate between male or female on the goals page so it uses 1200 across the board. If you are a man, please be sure to NET OVER 1500 a day bare minimum, preferably more.

Trust me, I maintain at 1800-2200 a day as a 5'2" 108 lb female.
  • plentyoo7
    plentyoo7 Posts: 38
    Options
    I noticed that 90% of the posters on this thread either just joined, have a very low post count, or both...which is FINE, but also means that most of you are new at this and uneducated in the ways MFP calculates your goals.

Please listen up:

Your daily calorie goal already includes a sizable deficit. You do NOT need, or WANT, to make it bigger by leaving calories uneaten at the end of the day. Your goal is a goal to REACH, not a goal to stay UNDER.

If you chose the recommended 1 lb per week your goal is 500 calories less than your maintenance amount, which is the amount you would eat to stay the same weight.

You need to EAT all the calories you are given to maintain that reasonable deficit. If you eat LESS than your goal, you are making that deficit way bigger and possibly hurting yourself in the process.

Your NET calories are shown on your homepage in that box right in the middle. At the end of your day, that NET should be equal to what your original goal was to start the day.
    Your calories in your diary should be equal to zero remaining, or within 100 regardless of if it goes red or not.

RED does NOT mean failure. You have a 500 (or more, if you chose 2 lbs per week) deficit. You would have to be RED by 500 to break even and maintain for the day.

You goal is based off of regular daily activity NOT including exercise, so on days you DO exercise, you HAVE TO eat them back to maintain the same daily deficit. it is NOT counterproductive, it is fueling your body for your workout!

If you DON'T eat them back you are creating a much larger deficit than you intended and are not getting adequate nutrition.

To the OP:
    you say you have an 800 calorie "deficit" at the end of the day...what you really mean is that you have 800 calories left to eat. If your goal was 1 lb per week, you already have a deficit of 500, so the 800 left uneaten makes it 1300! That is WAY too little to be holding back from your body each day.
    I understand that you get this and are trying to figure out ways to eat more, but it really isn't hard, just eat more. Healthy food. It's quite simple.

To the people who say they don't eat their exercise calories. That's all fine and good when you're morbidly obese and have a ton to lose, but once you are within 50 pounds of goal you need to be at 1 lb per week and EAT a LOT more.
    Within 20 lbs of goal, people need to be at .5 lb per week and eat even more.

To the person who is looking to bulk up:
    You need to eat a calorie SURPLUS to put on muscle. Calculate maintenance calories, set your diary to that amount, and aim to turn it RED, and with a LOT of protein daily (1g per pound of your weight is good). Lift HEAVY weight near to the point of failure.

Also, I must point out, WOMEN have a MINIMUM net of 1200 a day to be healthy (unless you are under 5 feet tall and under 100 pounds, then you MIGHT be able to get away with a little less)

MEN, on the other hand have a BARE MINIMUM of 1500 a day, and this site can't differentiate between male or female on the goals page so it uses 1200 across the board. If you are a man, please be sure to NET OVER 1500 a day bare minimum, preferably more.

THANK YOU!

Awesome advice.
  • Mysticmarduk
    Options
    Good information..."..."

THANK YOU!

Awesome advice.

I have to agree that was a great explaination and read.
  • robin52077
    Options
    Anyone who has questions or would like one-on-one help can feel free to inbox me and add me.
    I'm not a "certified" expert by any means, I didn't go to school for this...but I don't do anything half-assed, and therefore have spent over a year reading, learning, and researching, and happened to meet my goals in the process and am more than happy to share what I know to help others.
  • deb1jim
    deb1jim Posts: 5
    Options
    My trainer recommended Zone Bars and they're 200 calories and delicious! They also have 10 grams of protein. You can get them at BJs or grocery store. I've even seen them at pharmacies. They just came out with a trail mix bar and a cashew pretzel bar.
    Yum Yum Hope this helps!
  • robin52077
    Options
    Zone bars ARE delicious, I call them guiltless candy bars. But they're not DAILY things, just a couple a week for emergencies...like keep in your purse for that time when you're stuck in traffic and starving and tempted to pull into the drive thru that is calling your name...
    My favorites: Strawberry Yogurt, Cinnamon Roll, Trail Mix, and Chocolate Peanut Butter
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied. I got a lot of valuable info here. I will be sending a few of you some follow up.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you on?

my number is 2,000.
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The way I get around this is a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack (for me 200 calories each). Since I work out in the PM if I don't get most of my calories into me by 4pm I'm doomed. I agree, I'm NOT hungry but I eat anyway since that is the only way to get the wt to come off. If I deficet that much routinely my wt loss slows. Protien shakes and yogurt are my go toos.
  • bookwormie
    bookwormie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly confused - as usual - and I've really given up trying to understand how this all works, and so have been going with 1200 and exercising as much as possible.

The "Goal" setting tells me there's no way I can lose more than 0.7 lbs/ week no matter how high/ often I change the exercise amounts. That seems to be correct: I'm not losing weight regardless of exercising every day. I think it's because I'm under 5 feet and I have a desk job. But I have no idea if I'm not eating enough. And my maintenance would be 1530. So how much do you suppose an extremely overweight short woman with an office job is supposed to be eating? Thanks for any ideas...
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well without you opening your Diary we can't see what you've been eating. DON'T eat low fat ANYTHING. Not only will everything taste better but you'll get more calories and not have to do a darn thing.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly confused - as usual - and I've really given up trying to understand how this all works, and so have been going with 1200 and exercising as much as possible.

The "Goal" setting tells me there's no way I can lose more than 0.7 lbs/ week no matter how high/ often I change the exercise amounts. That seems to be correct: I'm not losing weight regardless of exercising every day. I think it's because I'm under 5 feet and I have a desk job. But I have no idea if I'm not eating enough. And my maintenance would be 1530. So how much do you suppose an extremely overweight short woman with an office job is supposed to be eating? Thanks for any ideas...

The guided mode gives you a goal number based off your daily activity level. So it gives you 1200 for a sedentary lifestyle/job. If you also exercise and you enter that into MFP your goal will adjust to reflect the additional calories you burned. Your maintenance calories are 1530 then 1200 gives you a calorie deficit of 330, which is around a safe .5-.7 pound a week loss and appropriate for someone who's only hoping to lose 30 pounds (I'm going off your signature). MFP doesn't assume you'll actually do the exercise you plan to when you set your goals, so exercise doesn't change your goal until you actually enter it on a particular day. The point of all this is not to quickly lose weight but to change your lifestyle to the thinner person you want to be. Play around with the "guided" goal setting and see what the maintenance calories are for your goal weight. That's a safe amount to be eating right now because when you get to your goal you'll be eating that amount for the rest of your life. The more you exercise the more you get to eat, which is my number one reason to exercise! Besides the fact that I like it, of course :).
  • bookwormie
    Options
    Thanks! I would never have thought to look up my "new" maintenance number (feels really inspiring, actually - it's been too long since I was healthy). Next step will be to try and figure out how on earth to actually eat that much, since I'm a vegetarian strongly leaning toward veganism... I don't really want to be filling up on bread.
  • bookwormie
    Options
    Argh. My "new" weight's maintenance setting is only 1370. So I guess once I've done all this work for months and months and lost all this weight, I'll be able to eat one extra serving of nuts a day without worrying about gaining weight. I hate my genes. :ohwell:
  • coopahson
    coopahson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree with "eating your excercise calories". It may sound harsh, but I believe that that is taking the easy way out. The only real science is calories in vs. calories out. There is no reason to eat more than you need to, period. Eating more than you need to gets you into the spot that we are all in currently. My advice, don't eat the exercise calories! You will reach your goal a lot quicker AND you won't be having to force yourself to eat.

You'll also kick your body into starvation mode and wake up one morning twenty pounds heavier, with no clue what happened.
  • coopahson
    coopahson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought we were supposed to do... I'm so confused now. I always have a daily calorie deficit and it's usually quite significant. I may have to start up a new thread to address this new concern I have lol

I had never heard of this concept of eating back the cals burned through exercise until now. It makes sense but I do not agree with your statement, at least based on my experience. I was 260 lbs about. 3 months ago and now down to 230 I eat about 1700 cals a day but burn of 1000 or so 5 days a week with exercise. This essentially leaves me plus 700 cals daily for those 5 days. I do not feel hungry, if I do a banana does the job. Perhaps my weight loss will slow down and I will need to eat more to avoid starvation mode. Interesting thread.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    800+ is too much. But I regularly leave about 500. Sounds about right for good weight loss. Just add a few handfuls of almonds and call it good!