The no diet diet? Is this for real?

Options
Good day all. So I have a bad habit of watching Reality TV and came across "My Diet is Better Than Yours". The person clearly out in front is the oldest competitor. He is on the "No Diet Diet". He has lost 21 pounds in 2 weeks. Now before I get bashed on how unhealthy it is to lose the weight that fast or how things are staged for reality TV, the guy actually looks slimmer and healthier. He is eating a ton of healthy fats, butter in his coffee and burgers on a regular basis, [note, I did say healthy fats so please don't lecture me on what is healthy] I was just wondering if anyone has actually heard of this diet and are there any actual medical reports on how safe it is?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It is my opinion that the best way to successfully lose weight for the long term is to not follow a named diet plan.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Reality TV is bad for your health and often it's not reality.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm going to write a book someday. I'm going to make a million. The eat large volumes of carb greasy foods all day long diet.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    It sounds like he's eating low carb. Did he eat the bun with his burger?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Well if it's like the Biggest Loser, they have more than seven days in each "week" which is why the loss seems so fast. Plus I'm sure just like Biggest Loser everyone loads up on water before the first weigh-in.

I don't watch much TV but if this is the typical no diet diet, it's about trying to train someone to eat intuitively. MIght work for some people, personally I just use science and technology to make up for an area I'm deficient in.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal is a "no diet" "diet".

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    You don't need to diet to lose weight. You just need to eat less than you burn. Proven time and time again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You don't need to diet to lose weight. You just need to eat less than you burn. Proven time and time again.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's a little more complicated than calories in, calories out. Of course you need a deficit, but food and emotions also play a role.
    Eating well doesn't come easy to people, it is a process.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I think the trainer is implying that it needs to be a lifelong change. That's my impression anyway. On the show the trainer talks about how the client needs to be in for the long term and that it has to be a permanent way of eating.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Well if it's like the Biggest Loser, they have more than seven days in each "week" which is why the loss seems so fast. Plus I'm sure just like Biggest Loser everyone loads up on water before the first weigh-in.

I don't watch much TV but if this is the typical no diet diet, it's about trying to train someone to eat intuitively. MIght work for some people, personally I just use science and technology to make up for an area I'm deficient in.

I used to like TBL when it first came out. But year after year, former contestants come forward about how bad the experience was so now I don't watch it.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's a little more complicated than calories in, calories out. Of course you need a deficit, but food and emotions also play a role.

I understand this sentiment, but as far as CICO, it's not CICO's fault that certain foods cause people to overeat them, nor does it invalidate CICO because it is difficult for some to adhere to.

Doesn't diminish the importance of what calories are chosen and individual needs/vices.

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No it's really not, I always thought this and then I started MFP and lost 100lbs in 12 months using the site as intended. People always say "OMG you've lost so much weight, it must have been difficult?" They always look at me weird when I say losing 100lbs is one of the easiest things I've ever done.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No, it really isn't any more complicated than calories in, calories out.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Emotions play a role in how well a person is able to sustain eating the proper amount of calories for their goal. However, their body doesn't process calories differently based on their mood.

Emotions don't play a role in actual weight loss, which really IS all about CICO.
  • smcobelli
    smcobelli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's basically the "Bulletproof Executive" diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Actually no it's not that complicated. Take ANYONE who's overweight and just reduce the AMOUNT they eat (whatever it is) and they'll lose weight barring any health issues.
    Emotional issues with food is a disorder one may need to address with a counselor, therapist, etc., but they can still lose weight eating less than they do now.
    And one doesn't NEED to eat well to lose weight. Many people lose weight while still eating "processed" and junk foods. They just don't eat a lot of it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    JRC34235 wrote: »
    Good day all. So I have a bad habit of watching Reality TV and came across "My Diet is Better Than Yours". The person clearly out in front is the oldest competitor. He is on the "No Diet Diet". He has lost 21 pounds in 2 weeks. Now before I get bashed on how unhealthy it is to lose the weight that fast or how things are staged for reality TV, the guy actually looks slimmer and healthier. He is eating a ton of healthy fats, butter in his coffee and burgers on a regular basis, [note, I did say healthy fats so please don't lecture me on what is healthy] I was just wondering if anyone has actually heard of this diet and are there any actual medical reports on how safe it is?

I watched a couple episodes of this too. I think the guy putting butter in his coffee is on the "Wild" diet, the bald guy is on the "no diet" diet. The "Wild" diet looks a lot like Paleo, which works for some people (I've never tried it, CICO works best for me).

I kind of like this show, it's a little silly and unrealistic. Some of the diets are definitely fads. I like watching weight loss shows because I think it's really interesting to see how different people carry their weight and how they look when they lose it.
  • cleanslateplate
    cleanslateplate Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It is a concept that has been around for a long time, and it does work, if you actually do it. This is called intuitive eating. It is eating what you want, but in small amounts. It is about recognizing real, physical hunger and stopping when you are physically satisfied...not stuffed. It teaches you to pay attention to natural hunger signals that we are all born with and choose to ignore by stuffing ourselves.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    Bowsergirl wrote: »
    JRC34235 wrote: »

I watched a couple episodes of this too. I think the guy putting butter in his coffee is on the "Wild" diet, the bald guy is on the "no diet" diet. The "Wild" diet looks a lot like Paleo, which works for some people (I've never tried it, CICO works best for me).

I kind of like this show, it's a little silly and unrealistic. Some of the diets are definitely fads. I like watching weight loss shows because I think it's really interesting to see how different people carry their weight and how they look when they lose it.

I didn't like the first episode. The second one was much better, and now I'm going to keep watching because I want to know what kind of way of eating the woman who fired her trainer is going to pick. That trainer was so full of woo it was ridiculous. Talking about toxins and cleansing and only doing a liquid diet, wtf.