Daily Healthy Habits Challenge-JANUARY

Replies

• Julipax
    Julipax Posts: 47 Member
    Date: 1/12
    Vitamin: Yes
    Water (8+): getting there!
    Exercise calories burned: 651 elliptical
    Stayed under calorie goal: Yes, but cut it close!

Goal weight for 2/1: 160
    Current weight week of 1/11: 162.4
    Gain/loss vs last week: -1.6 (woo hoo!)

Current struggles: Darn Diet Coke Addiction.

Current strengths: Good grocery shopping to trip to keep me on track! You are what you eat!

I love the positivity in this group!!!
  • rmk894
    rmk894 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm jumping in late, but would like to join. I just joined MFP about 2 weeks ago and my current overall goals are to get control of my eating (stop gaining weight!) and increase my activity level. I struggle with depression and so getting and staying motivated is a day-to-day battle.

Today: 1/13
    Step goal: exceeded by 25%
    Logged all food: Yes
    Sugar and sodium intake: over sugar limit and under sodium limit

Struggles: My sweet tooth!! I'm eating less than I was before starting MFP, but still too much. Logging my food has made me see just how much I've been eating. Late-night snacking is also a problem.

Successes: consistently meeting and also increasing my step goal this week, logging food.

This group looks like a really helpful one!
  • Julipax
    @rmk20togo Welcome Robin! Just keep logging in the app! You bite it, you write it! No matter what you eat or don't do, it's all feedback for you. Look at it as feedback to learn, and move on. I'll try to keep you motivated!
  • White_hibiscus
    White_hibiscus Posts: 1,594 Member
    Date: 1/13
    Water (8+): lots;)
    Exercise calories burned: 487
    Stayed under calorie goal: Yes

Goal weight for 2/1: 170
    Current weight week of 1/11: 177
    Gain/loss vs last week 0

Current struggles: junk food
    Success: 2nd week of p90x
  • newbie2143
    newbie2143 Posts: 328 Member
    Date: 1/13:
    1. Exercised (yes) : Yes, 35 minutes swimming
    2. Completed food diary (yes) : Yes, stayed under calorie goal
    3. Avoid late afternoon snack : Yes

Goal wt. 2/1: 144.5 (1.5 lbs/wk)
    Last week's wt.: 149
    This week's wt.: tbd tomorrow

Struggles: Same motivation struggles. I know if I can get through Jan/Feb this will lift. Checking in on this thread is helping, thanks everyone!

Success: I have noticed I'm not thinking about a snack as soon as I get home from work anymore... It seems I am breaking that habit/association! I'm glad I made it one of my 'healthy habits' to work on.
  • Julipax
    Date: 1/13
    Water (8+): YES but still had too much Diet Coke!
    Exercise calories burned: 720! 1.875 mile speed swim set from HELL! Thanks Coach!
    Stayed under calorie goal: Yes.

Gain/loss vs last week: -1.6 (woo hoo!)

Current struggles: Darn Diet Coke Addict, but so far so good today!

Current strengths: I am pushing it HARD in the gym. I make small goals throughout my set and stick to it!

Love that you discovered you broke a snack habit @newbie2143
  • Julipax
    @newbie2143 Yea! A fellow swimmer! I have a goal to swim in a meet in April. I haven't done one in 3 years. I spend most of my weekends at my kids' sporting events and haven't made time for mine. Having an athletic goal will really keep me in the gym and pool though!
  • newbie2143
    @Julipax, I'm just starting back in the pool... My goal is to do a few triathlons this summer & I need to rebuild. My last tri was 2 years ago, so I have a way to go! I am a big fan of open water swimming (totally get what you said earlier about it being meditative), but I'm having to learn to love lengths in the pool :). Maybe some day I can work up to 1.87 miles (3km [!] for me) - wow. And @White_hibiscus, P90X, wow - how is THAT? I hear it's hard. Welcome, @rmk894 !
  • rmk894
    Thank you for the welcome!
    Date: 1/14
    Step goal: Exceeded by 17%
    Sugar and sodium intake: Under daily limit for both

Struggles: still fighting with my sweet tooth, need to make time to grocery shop so I don't eat out. I've also been having headaches all week, which makes everything harder.

Successes: I finally made it back to my rehab program and started my exercises again.
  • newbie2143
    Date: 1/14:
    1. Exercised (yes) : Yes, 40 minute walk
    2. Completed food diary (yes) : Yes, stayed under calorie goal

This week's wt.: 147.5 (yay!)
    Gain/loss vs. last week: -1.5 lbs

Struggles: getting out for a run. Hard to want to do it on snowy roads in the dark (already dark by the time I get home from work)...

Success: Still got out for a walk - indoors! I'm only 46 but I became a "mall walker" yesterday.... which makes me laugh. Still happy I did it. My overall goal is just to be active somehow every day, and I accomplished that even though I really didn't want to! My day off today... exercising will be easier in the day time :)

• Julipax
    Date: 1/14
    Water (8+): YES
    Exercise calories burned: 600

Gain/loss vs last week: -1.6

Current struggles: I'm a Girl Scout leader and cookie mom. Each of the last 3 years, my exercise has gone to nil during cookie season. Cookie season starts today. I planned no booth sales on the nights I have swim practice. I feel like I will freak out if I miss practice this year, but it is so busy, and I like a clean house, and cooking healthy. I really struggle until 3/1 when cookie season ends!

Current strengths: I am exercising 5 days a week. I am under my calorie goal. I reduced my Diet Cokes and got my water in. It's a long road on that recovery, but I'm determined. Although, I am not feeling it today.
  • newbie2143
    @Juliepax - YAY water!! Good for you.
    Hang in there... you're not going to feel it every day, but that doesn't negate all you have achieved so far!
  • newbie2143
    Date: 1/15:
    1. Exercised (yes) : Yes, 40 minute swim -1100 m
    2. Completed food diary (yes) : Yes, not sure if I stayed under calorie goal...best guesses used for restaurant food

This week's wt.: 147.5 (yay!)
    Gain/loss vs. last week: -1.5 lbs

Struggles: could not resist sneaking some fries off my son's plate at the restaurant last night! Logged them though..

Success: Figured out a few things in the pool that make my swim stroke more effective.... Pleased about that!
  • rmk894
    Date: 1/15
    Step goal: Missed by 25%. It was a hectic and stressful day, rained in the evening, and I was spent.
    Sugar and sodium intake: Did poorly with the sugar, but well with the sodium.

Struggles: I love dessert in the evenings and haven't been able to give it up. I need to at least reduce my sugar intake the rest of the day, which I've done some, but not enough. Emotional eating is a big problem, especially with being so depressed.

Successes: Logging my food faithfully, reducing sodium, checking in here.

@newbie2143 Great discipline logging those fries!

@Julipax Good luck with cookie season!
  • rmk894
    edited January 2016
    Date: 1/16
    Step goal: Exceeded by 15%
  • Julipax
    Date: 1/15
    Water (8+): 8
    Exercise calories burned: 440 (told you I wasn't feeling it yesterday;-))

Current struggles: Just wasn't feeling it yesterday. Kind of pooped and unmotivated. I need to flip the switch and make sure this isn't like having one foot on a slippery slope. Let's see what Monday brings!

Current strengths: I am eating great! My diet is completely under control and I used to be a sugar hound! I am loving big blueberries and raspberries from Costco as dessert lately! Never would have guessed that could ever happen to the girl who can eat frosting straight out of the can!
  • newbie2143
    Date: 1/16:
    1. Exercised (yes) : Yes, 8.5 km run/1.5 km walk
    2. Completed food diary (yes) : Yes, not sure if I stayed under calorie goal...best guesses used for restaurant food (yes, bad me... restaurant two days in a row... We are hosting family this weekend!)
    3. Avoid late afternoon snack : No, but logged it.

This week's wt.: 147.5

Struggles: Navigating restaurant eating! I think I did OK, but not sure my logging is accurate. Back on track today.

Success: Got out for a great run!
  • Julipax
    Date: 1/16
    Water (8+): 4 :-( I'll pay for that today!
    Exercise calories burned: Rest day, but I logged loading and unloading cases of Girl Scout cookies. I did not log standing on my feet shivering for 3 hours outside a store selling cookies with my daughter.
    Stayed under calorie goal: Yes AND we went out to eat!

Current struggles: H2O

Current strengths: Honest logging. Stopping eating once full.
  • newbie2143
    Happy Monday everyone!

@Julipax - good for you staying under calorie goal with a restaurant meal! I'm sure after being out in the cold for 3 hours you weren't craving a SALAD! :D
    @rmk894 - great job getting those steps in!

Date: 1/17:
    1. Exercised (yes) : No
    2. Completed food diary (yes) : Yes, NOT under calorie goal
    3. Avoid late afternoon snack : No, but logged it.

This week's wt.: 147.5

Struggles: This weekend was off the rails for me. I had fun with my visiting family, but did not do a good job achieving my goals. Hopefully I can still meet my weight goal this Friday, but if not I will just adjust my expectations.... I have learned for next time I am in a similar situation that I must be very careful!

Success: Enjoyed myself :), learned I need to plan my eating for times when I am hosting guests.
  • Julipax
    @newbie2143 I bet those meals out could have been worse! It's hard to plan with visitors. It ends up being 2nd Christmas type calories when my in-laws are here annually. Sometimes I'm good, but I snack a lot when they are here. You had a great run!