GLUTEN FREE

Options
I SEE SO MANY ITEMS GLUTEN FREE IN THE SUPERMARKETS AND ADVERTISEMENTS ALL OVER. CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN ME ON ANY ADDITIOANL INFO OR SUCCESS STORIES OF GLUTEN FREE DIET?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    People who are allergic to gluten have great success with using gluten-free items to avoid painful and harmful allergic reactions.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    No benefit to anyone who doesn't need to eat it for medical purposes.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Gluten is a protein in wheat and other grains like barley. I have to eat a gluten free diet because I have celiac disease. There is no evidence that a gluten free diet is beneficial to people without celiac or a wheat allergy/intolerance.
  • starbuckaddict
    starbuckaddict Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    People who are allergic to gluten have great success with using gluten-free items to avoid painful and harmful allergic reactions.

My life in one sentence.
  • Lutielu
    Lutielu Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    People seem to think that going gluten free will help them lose weight and that's not always the case. Many of the gluten free products out there add sugars or other less healthy things to make their products taste better. Just be aware and read labels. I've had to be gluten free for a little less than a year now for medical reasons and the only thing I really buy prepared are gf noodles. Anything else I buy gluten free flour and make it myself, at least then I know what gets added in.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I was born before "gluten-free" was discovered.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    And for that matter, before ADHD and such was discovered.
  • tans3352
    tans3352 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Unless you have celiac disease or NCGS, it is not going to help. It does not help weightless, CICO does that.
  • Lose2Cruise2016
    Lose2Cruise2016 Posts: 36 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Gluten-free is for people with celiac disease or other gluten sensitivity. I've heard some people without these conditions claim that they feel "so much better" after cutting gluten from their diets, but I firmly believe that's a psychosomatic response. There's no evidence that gluten is problematic for anyone who doesn't have a sensitivity, or that going gluten-free is beneficial if you don't need to for medical reasons.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    "Gluten free" is mainly a marketing ploy.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Gluten free is necessary for individuals with Celiac, IBS, or non-celiac gluten sensitivity (which is real but most people aren't who think they are). Especially in the case of Celiac, a gluten free lifestyle is a matter of life and death. My dad has celiac and he was diagnosed before it was a widely understood disease. It took the doctors a long time to figure out what was wrong and in that time he nearly died from malnourishment. For these individuals, gluten free isn't a luxury, it's a necessity. For the remaining 99% of us, gluten free is wholly unnecessary and does not help with weight loss. Many of the gluten free foods are actually higher calorie than their gluten-containing counterparts. Simply going gluten free won't do anything for your weight.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

I absolutely agree!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nice to see this finally seeping in to the general consensus

All of this thread, except the ADHD comment
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The equation is CICO. However, there are lots of ways to do CICO. As long as your calories in are less than your calories out, you'll lose weight.

Some people find that gluten is in a lot of processed and calorically dense foods, and by eliminating gluten, they end up eating fewer calories (by focusing on vegetables or less calorically dense foods).

Some people purchase gluten free substitutes of foods that traditionally have gluten in them, like gluten free bread or muffins or cookies. These items have just as many if not more calories than their gluten filled counterparts, and so by eating them, you could gain or lose weight just the same based on your quantity.

And some people find eliminating any food group to be inhibiting, and find the most success when they allow themselves to eat whatever their li'l heart desires in the proper portion.

Some people are more successful in weight loss than others. There are lots of ways to do CICO, its up to you.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I eat a Paleo diet. I don't eat gluten, but I also don't eat grains. I eat real food. However, I do this for health reasons.. I have an autoimmune vasculitis issue that I'm trying to control through diet.. Gluten and certain foods can trigger inflammation in some people.

My body feels so much better when I stick to Paleo, and I like that I just eat within my allowed foods and don't have to worry about calories.
  • Robo_mooh
    Robo_mooh Posts: 44 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I eat Gluten Free and Grain Free because my partner has really bad reactions to them, so we don't have them in the house. It's not quite Paleo, as we have so much dairy! For me, I have no reaction to either grains or gluten.

I think I eat healthier, a lot less processed food & nearly everything cooked from scratch. BUT it takes 10x as long to cook. If it was me living by myself, I wouldn't bother with GF. Also, the GF products in supermarkets mostly taste like sawdust - we don't buy any of them. They have more ingredients in than regular food. The wheat is replaced with about 50 other ingredients and I've got no idea what they really are! Is that really healthier?

Edit: Mostly Gluten & Grain free! I'll have doughnuts and biscuits when someone brings them into work, and I'll eat gluten when I eat out - very rarely!
  • luv2eat2013
    luv2eat2013 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    THANKS FOR RESPONSES
    GF NOT A MOVE FOR ME....although some of products delish and costly worth a try.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Really? The last time I ate something with gluten in it, I ended up in the Emergency Room. The doc and I both thought initially my appendix had ruptured. Turrns out my small intestine was inflammed because of the gluten - one single noodle in otherwise noodle-free chicken soup.

But do go on and explain to me how it's a marketing ploy.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I was born before "gluten-free" was discovered.
    And for that matter, before ADHD and such was discovered.

The fact that you're saying these things indicates that you do not have celiac disease or ADHD, nor do you know anyone who does.

So, if that's the case, why do you care that these things were "discovered"? How do they affect you?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Really? The last time I ate something with gluten in it, I ended up in the Emergency Room. The doc and I both thought initially my appendix had ruptured. Turrns out my small intestine was inflammed because of the gluten - one single noodle in otherwise noodle-free chicken soup.

But do go on and explain to me how it's a marketing ploy.

The person you are responding to said "mainly." Nobody denies that there are people with real and serious reactions to gluten. At the same time, the explosion of interest in gluten-free diets *is* marketing. The uptick in products is a response to consumer interest in this diet because they think it will clear up vague symptoms, result in weight loss, or fix other problems that aren't related to gluten.