How do i motivate myself to go to the gym?

Options

Replies

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about motivation. Commit instead.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Either go or don't go. Motivation doesn't get the blame when an adult doesn't do what they said they would do

This. It's either a priority or it isn't. Decide for yourself what it is and then follow through with your actions.
    It's a matter of deciding what's important to you and how badly you want it.
    Either go or don't go. Motivation doesn't get the blame when an adult doesn't do what they said they would do

Right here. This is what it's about!
    Don't worry about motivation. Commit instead.

Do, or don't do, it's up to you.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Sleep in your work out clothes with socks and shoes next to the bed. That works best for me. All you have to do when you wake up is walk out the door.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing is to find a program to follow. It will make things easier, you'll know what to do on a specific day and do it. Whether that's a program like Stronglifts or a workout dvd. I started by doing T25. It's laid out for you. On this day, you do this dvd. That was easy for me b/c I didn't have to figure out what to do, and spend 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do.

Now, I either do yoga, pole, or both. Wednesday is always a pole day b/c that's when my lesson is. Generally, Tuesday will always be a sole yoga day b/c I don't want to be burned out for Wednesday and struggle so hard that I can't learn anything new.

Whoever said that it's not motivation, but commitment is 100% right. There are days that I don't feel like poling. As much as I love it, there are days where I just don't feel like it. But I'm committed to getting better at it, so that keeps me going.

You don't have to go to a gym or studio to workout. Walk outside for 30 minutes. Find a dvd series you like and do that. Follow channels on Youtube: Fitness Blender, GymRa, BodyFit By Amy, Body Rock, Yoga w/ Adriene, Tone It Up, etc. All of these are great channels to follow b/c they post full length workouts.

You kind of just have to do it. It may take time to find what you love. But once you do, you'll look at it like "yes! I get to go workout," and not "ugh, I have to go workout."
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    How old are you? "my parents making me'. Are you five?
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Start going at night when hardly anyone is there. That way you can blast your music, focus, and not have to be bothered by waiting to use weights/equipment, etc.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I pay a 36 year old Italian bloke to pay attention to me once a week :bigsmile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Love this
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    In the beginning its just about forcing yourself to get through the doors, once you are in the gym you kinda of a jolt of "Okay, lets do this!"
  • Myshell0819
    Myshell0819 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Find a workout partner. Peer pressure is a great motivator.

• Myshell0819
    Myshell0819 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    so very very true
  • Nebless
    Nebless Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Find something and tell yourself you can only do it AT the gym. For me it's listening to old time radio shows. I don't listen to them at home, only the gym so that helps give me a boost to go.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    just go!! don't wait for motivation just go!!
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Do you get motivated to go to work? You just do it because you have to. Think of it that way.. Once you get past the first few weeks it becomes an addiction. Hang in there!! ;)
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you put on your gym clothes/sneakers, you'll be 10x more likely to go. Give it a try.
  • 1chappers
    1chappers Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a home gym so protentionatly some may find it very hard to have motivation you use it with all other temptations around, however my motivation are two things.
    no.1- have a vision of what you want to look like and think to yourself "if I just sit around not doing anything i will never get to my goal" "consistency is the key to have the body of your dreams"
    No.2 - have a good pre workout drink. This really helps for me, if I'm having a bad day and just feel like I need to lay on the sofa after a hard days work ill have a pre workout drink and it boost me with energy and also ups my performance in the gym.
    Sorry it's a bit long winded but I hope it helps. Or anyone else.

Also I agree with jdhcm2006 with a good workout plan.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    like others have said, find something you like, I love zumba and group classes. I am weird, I love the gym, it is my social outing so it is easy for me, I sure wish food was easy.
  • beastier
    beastier Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    For the long term, you just gotta love it

Other than that keep it fresh, try new things to keep yourself mentally stimulated & so it doesn't get stale
  • joey4014
    joey4014 Posts: 159 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Don't put any extra rules on yourself. Start off with saying I'm just gonna go to the gym. Even if you just go, walk slowly on the treadmill and do some stretching. Once your there things will start happening. And like Myshell said: having a partner is great.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    tequila09 wrote: »
    just go!! don't wait for motivation just go!!

Absolutely this! ^