Need Feedback on This new diet I created for myself

Options

Replies

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, I am concerned about your diet and muscle loss because when I have done similar things I became very ill. Most of us have to work very hard to gain muscle and pay for 'living' expenses.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kwkeegan wrote: »
    You guys are so concerned with the muscle loss. I do not care. At this point I am trying to lose weight, period. If some muscle is lost in the process oh well. Just forget about that.

And for those concerned about my spending, any supplements, shakes, etc that is part of my diet is acceptable. Hence the 'living'.

Y'all really know how to get off topic around here.

You asked what people thought. We told you. You then decided you didn't care what people here thought.

I guess we're done here?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Also, I think it's fantastic that you're eager to get it done and make the changes you need to. All of the feedback here is meant to assist you, not to bash you. People here like seeing others succeed.
  • kwkeegan
    kwkeegan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What I have gained from this is that supplements are worthless, if my goal intake is 1700+900 then I should be eating 2600 calories per day, and that anyone that tries to find a diet that they enjoy, where I can eat what I want most of the time, while still maintaining macros and nutrient intake and creating a deficit will be dealt with, scorched earth policy.

I'll just let y'all know how it goes.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    "Need Feedback on This new diet I created for myself" is the title of your thread.
  • kwkeegan
    Options
    Thanks Kami your feedback was great
  • maytehsp0rksbewithy0u
    maytehsp0rksbewithy0u Posts: 26 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My thought was getting to a healthy weight was priority number 1 then I can maintain as I work on the glamour muscles. I'm already fairly muscular just have to drop this excess

If you are at a unhealthy weight, then it's the fat -- not the muscle -- that is the problem. Muscles aren't just for "glamour." Why would you want to lose more of them than absolutely necessary?

Losing muscle mass won't make you any healthier.

I'm just going to explain this in a little bit more depth from the perspective of a healthcare professional/competitive powerlifter. When you have too sharp of a deficit, your body begins to use the protein in your muscles for energy. This catabolism of muscle isn't compensated for and thus you lose muscle mass. When you lose muscle mass your TDEE goes below expected for your age/gender/weight/height. Not only that, proteins are important in many other processes of your body that they can't be utilized for when your body has to resort to using it for energy.

This is part of the reason that yo-yo dieting occurs. When you're "done" with this diet, your energy expenditure will be much lower than someone of the same height/weight. This means that you'll have to resort to eating lower calories than you would want/what calorie calculators will predict for you in order to maintain your weight.

Also, it is MUCH more difficult to gain muscle than it is to lose it and just eating in a surplus and lifting weights will not give you only muscle. In order to gain muscle, you will also have to gain fat. That is why people do bulk/cut cycles. This means that you will have to diet all over again in order to lose the fat you gain while trying to gain, "glamour muscles" in your "douche" routine.

You asked for advice so it would probably be best to listen to it.
  • kwkeegan
    Options
    Thank you for your helpful input, am I to assume that it is harder to maintain weight than to lose it? Also, my calorie input is mostly protein, and I do not see how it is helpful for me to eat almost 3000 calories per day when I feel great hovering around 2000. I don't feel tired or hungry
  • kwkeegan
    Options
    Sorry, protein and fruit***
  • paultucker1007
    paultucker1007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Reads to me like you just want someone to pat you on the head and tell you your plan is brilliant, or say nothing at all.

<nothing>
  • kwkeegan
    Options
    Thank you Paul
  • kwkeegan
    Options
    The fitness community is SAVAGE I tell you.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What I have gained from this is that supplements are worthless, if my goal intake is 1700+900 then I should be eating 2600 calories per day, and that anyone that tries to find a diet that they enjoy, where I can eat what I want most of the time, while still maintaining macros and nutrient intake and creating a deficit will be dealt with, scorched earth policy.

I'll just let y'all know how it goes.

t-blawg-bro-gym-code.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The fitness community is SAVAGE I tell you.

Agreed, if "savage" means telling people the truth even when they don't want to hear/believe it.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your helpful input, am I to assume that it is harder to maintain weight than to lose it? Also, my calorie input is mostly protein, and I do not see how it is helpful for me to eat almost 3000 calories per day when I feel great hovering around 2000. I don't feel tired or hungry

Just watch how much you loose each week. As long as it's under 2 maybe 3 lbs you'll be fine. Your workout probably isn't 900 cal so I would bet you're not under eating as much as it seems. Most workout estimators seem to over calculate. I agree, as along as you're honestly feeling good you can probably stick with it. It really only becomes a problem when you are so hungry that everything falls apart. Try to develop good eating habits at dinner. If you were eating a burger and fries with a beer every night, when you reach goal and start adding back in breakfast and lunch, you're reward meal might start to spill over to every meal of the day.
  • kwkeegan
    Options
    Even my fitness pal has trolls this is amazing.
  • kwkeegan
    Options
    Thanks ibc
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating so few calories

Ex: Goal Daily Cal intake : 1700 + 900 Exercise - actual intake 2000 cal

I end up 600 in the green

How are you calculating the 900 calories burnt in exercise? Are you aware that the MFP burns are considered to be inflated by about 50%?
  • kwkeegan
    Options
    Whatever the app says, running 3 to 4 miles is about 500-700 depending how long I got. Plus the "walking" number
  • kwkeegan
    Options
    Plus at a desk about half the time at work and the other half with light activity