I never thought I would be posting this...why am i not losin

Options
Ok, I know people ask about this all the time. I usualy am one who gives advice on the subject!! The thing is, I've tried everything I can think of to get the scale moving again (down, not up!) In the last 3 weeks I have gained over a pound. The first week I was on vacation and I didn't eat HORRIBLE but I wasn't on my game, either. I still kept up with my c25k program, though. The past 2 weeks I have been on my A game. Under my calories, watching my sodium, drinking water, eating my exercise calories. I even added a new workout to the mix- jillian michaels fitness ultimatum- on the days I don't do my c25k (before i was just walking on the days i wasn't doing the program) I stepped on the scale this morning and gained another .7 pounds!! I still have 20 pounds to reach my goal and in reality I could stand to lose 50, so it's not like I'm near my goal. I even ate about 400 calories over on Saturday to see if that would jump start my matabolism. Nothing. I am getting really frustrated that I'm working so hard and the scale is going the wrong way!!! What am I missing??????

Replies

• chovest81
    chovest81 Posts: 99
    Options
    I know that is sooo frustrating..but hang in there...drink plenty of fluids! It will come down if you really stick to it....you can do it. I know how frustrating it is easy and seems so tempting to just say to hell with it...but stick to it!
  • spaduke
    spaduke Posts: 13
    Options
    I am not an expert or anything, and i am a horrible dieter but you sound on your game with excersie so mayve you have built up muscle? which they say will put on pounds? Dont get discouraged...i am menopausel so this is the hardest i ever had to work at it to loose a lousey 20 pounds!!!! Good Luck :)
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    I've been reading all over the place, including some advice from trainers, not to eat your exercise calories back???
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    Ok, I know people ask about this all the time. I usualy am one who gives advice on the subject!! The thing is, I've tried everything I can think of to get the scale moving again (down, not up!) In the last 3 weeks I have gained over a pound. The first week I was on vacation and I didn't eat HORRIBLE but I wasn't on my game, either. I still kept up with my c25k program, though. The past 2 weeks I have been on my A game. Under my calories, watching my sodium, drinking water, eating my exercise calories. I even added a new workout to the mix- jillian michaels fitness ultimatum- on the days I don't do my c25k (before i was just walking on the days i wasn't doing the program) I stepped on the scale this morning and gained another .7 pounds!! I still have 20 pounds to reach my goal and in reality I could stand to lose 50, so it's not like I'm near my goal. I even ate about 400 calories over on Saturday to see if that would jump start my matabolism. Nothing. I am getting really frustrated that I'm working so hard and the scale is going the wrong way!!! What am I missing??????

You could try changing your macros(carbs/protein/fats). I feel that MFP has theirs set up weird......55% carbs to me is way to high. I feel that you need balance. I changed mine percentages to 40% carbs, 40% Protein, and 20 % fat. Or you could do 40% carbs, 30 % protein & 30% fat. The more protein the better! I balance "every" meal and snack with a carb and a protein, it helps you to stay fuller longer.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Do you do weights at all? You need to do something different for a few weeks to bump your body out of it's comfy spot. I'd suggest adding heavy weights 2 or 3 times a week for a few weeks and see if that helps. (try to make them heavy weights though, the lighter ones might be too close to the other stuff you have been doing)
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary, and honestly, it's not a very healthy one (sloppy joes, fries, coca cola). I don't see any/many fruits/veggies and whole grains. I'm all for things in moderation, but at some point ,you need to look closer to your diet and see what is going on.

As for exercise calories - I eat them back (to get to net of 1200cal/day). Some days I leave 10 cals on the table, others closer to 200-300.

Good luck, and don't give up!!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your water intake? Your body may need the flushing out. I find that I can eat very clean all week but if my water intake it bad, my body basically says " sorry... Not gonna lose for you"
  • busymomyof3
    Options
    um... maybe it's your TOM.. just a thought.
  • cpratt55
    cpratt55 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know the frustration. I am actually a pound over what I was 2 weeks ago. The other day I was ready to give up. But then I thought about it.......I thought about how I felt 3 months ago before starting to lose weight. I couldn't go up and down stairs without taking a rest. I couldn't bend over and tie my shoes comfortably.....had to sit on the bed and put my feet up to tie them. Since then I have lost 26 pounds and feel so so much better. I walk 3 miles a day, which was not even thought of 3 months ago. I know this is a long battle and a lifetime battle, but we have to hang in there. I got on the scale this morning and had a gain again.....very frustrating. But I am still in a much better place than I was 3 months ago. We'll do this, I promise. Just hang in there with me :)
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    Hey!!!

A platoo of a few weeks is absolutely normal!!!! Everyone has them.
  • KristinAshli
    Options
    I am in the EXACT same boat as you. I told my MFPers that "I WAS DONE!" Cause here's the thing...I do Zumba on Tuesday and Wednesdays, and on the other days I am either running on treadmill, doing P90X or Jillian Michaels DVD. It sucked because my scale is going up and I'm working my butt off everyday working out and trying to eat right and the scale shows nothing. Everyone kept telling me that I wasn't eating enough for how much calories I was burning. So..with all that in mind, I felt like giving up and I took a week off...this is actually my first day back on MFP since LAST THURSDAY! And guess what...i did ZERO exercise, (except for my Zumba yesterday) and I have lose 1.5 pounds. I think our bodies need a break every once in a while. And when i mean break, it's not, take a break and eat everything. It's just taking a break from exercising and eating just 1200 calories, or whatever your base need for nutrition is. It's frustrating..ive been there, but my advice would be to take a week off from exercising, if you feel like you are exercising EVERYDAY, and see what the scale does. Maybe you aren't eating enough calories like I was. Try NO exercise and 1200 cals. And don't feel guilty about not exercising. I think your body will need it. Hope that helps! Sorry for the novel! lol Good Luck! :) Befriend me if you'd like!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    try dinking more water that sometimes helps!.....(yuk) lol
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I am no expert either, but here are a couple things that worked for me when I hit a plateau:

1. I see that most mornings your breakfast is pretty light. Try to make that the largest meal of the day and then go lighter at lunch and dinner. That was the only change I made a couple of months ago and went from being on a plateau to losing almost 10 pounds in 3 weeks.

2. I'm doing a silly experiment right now since I've been working on the same 2 pounds for the past 3 weeks. Having chocolate as my evening snack! I noticed I always seemed to be down in the morning when I would have a little chocolate before bed. Yesterday I was down .6 pounds and this morning I'm down .4 pounds. Sounds crazy, but I thought I would try something new. :)
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    You said you tried eating more, have you tried eating less?
  • carradoc
    carradoc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, my suggestion is relax and keep doing what you have been doing. It will come. You have been so successful at it. Keep it up!
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Do you do weights at all? You need to do something different for a few weeks to bump your body out of it's comfy spot. I'd suggest adding heavy weights 2 or 3 times a week for a few weeks and see if that helps. (try to make them heavy weights though, the lighter ones might be too close to the other stuff you have been doing)

Yea, I've heard that bodies can get two comfortable with "routine" work outs. Maybe try bumping up your intensity or switching things up? Good luck!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ok, so I know that a ton of people are probably going to jump on me for this....and I'm aware that everyone is different. But I dont eat back my exercise calories, and I have managed to lose 24.5 lbs since january without hitting any plateaus. I know people swear you need to eat back your calories, but if its not working for you, maybe try not eating them all back for a week or so. My calories are set at 1260 for the day and I usually exercise between 350 - 450 calories per day. I eat atleast 1260, usually more around 1350 calories per day, but it shows my Net calories as less because of my exercise. It worked for me.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Your sodium is HIGH. The NEW recommendation is 1500 mg. Yesterday you were at 2800- there is your weight gain.

You also eat out a lot. I know restaurants post nuitrtional info- but that varies from location- and when you are eating SO close to your daily goal- you may very well be going over by 200-300 calories a meal. You do that 2 or 3 times a week and you have depleted your deficit.

If you are not using a HRM- you should be--and do not forget to subtract your BMR from your burned amount on the HRM, and you might want to think about giving yourself some room incase you overestimate your calories in.
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    Another thing to try.....modify your eating schedule if you can. You don't reference your routine, but anything that you do that alters your routine has the potential to shock your body off its plateau.
  • gingerball
    Options
    If your working out you may be gaining mussle which weights more then fat. Are you clothes fitting different?? Whatever the reason is just don't give up. Best of luck to you.