SAHM's...Need advice

Options

Replies

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It's really not about the workout. Housework is 10 times more cardiovascular than standard exercise. It's the food choices and calories that really matter.

Honestly I lost weight when my kids started preschool but what helped me the most is finding a good gym with babysitting but they had to be old enough not to scream every time I dropped them off (I tried when they were 2.5... no dice). But having a treadmill at home must definitely help.

In the end though you can't outrun a bad diet, however I'd never have lost the weight I lost without exercise, as it lets me eat more, and I have a big appetite.

Mine were fine at the Y nursery from 18 months up.So to the OP, it depends on the kid and the gym.
  • carrieleann54
    carrieleann54 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only have one, and he's 3 so it may not be the same for you. I'm in CA so the weather has been really nice so we like to go outside. He takes his bike and we walk around the neighborhood. Yesterday we did 2 miles, today just 1. But occasionally he likes to copy me and do squats, jumping jacks, etc. include the kids to your exercises. I bet you they'll enjoy it.
  • Chrissy292018
    Chrissy292018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This year all my kids are in school full time but the last few years I would wake up an hour and a half before them and get an hour of exercise in at the gym. Then we bought home equipment and I did the same. I found I had more energy and I'd be able to run circles around them. My kids never really napped but always were in bed by 8 so I had plenty of sleep at night. As far as the house we always cleaned up after ourselves as a rule. This works really well in my home with 5 kids. Don't get me wrong, some days the dust gets missed or the floor doesn't get swept but the house is picked up and everything has a place. Especially the dust
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    So I apologize if this seems rude, but why is this posed as a SAHM issue. The fact is that anyone with kids knows it can be challenging to find time for a workout it really comes down to wether you make it a priority or not. I work, so I get up an hour and a half before my kids and husband do so I can make it to the gym and back. The it's getting everyone up and ready for their day It sucks but I have chosen to make it a priority to work out so I do.

To be honest, the brief periods (a year here and there) when I was a SAHM (and this meant a new baby in the family) I was at my lowest weight. Since when working, I still have all the chores, taking care of the kids, night wakings etc, plus 9 hours work+commute. Not saying that staying at home is easy, but it definitely gives a ton more opportunity to cook, eat a healthy diet and exercise.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I love to use my step at home, but my two 3 year olds thinks it's fun to take over and not let me use it. It's apparently their stage!!
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Get a Fitbit it will show you how active you are during the day
  • brit4896
    brit4896 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanx everyone for the advice! I guess we just need to get in our groove to make it all work.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I home school three kids, ages 6, 7, and 14. I work out three or four days a week, we volunteer three days a week, and I write news articles and run the house. You decide it's going to happen and you make it happen. When I started this, I was also working full time and going to college myself. Make your decision and make yourself accountable.
  • prima_donut
    prima_donut Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I found it really hard to get exercise consistently when my kids were pre-preschool. When I am exercising I need to get into the headspace to do it and having my kids asking me to do things for them or trying to work the exercise into daily tasks didn't work for me until I had already got my groove. Things I found that helped were: having a big jogger stroller that could hold both the older ones (converts to biketrailer too) and walking trails etc., and getting a gym membership for a place with childcare. I also did strollerfit and mom and baby bootcamp. Using naptime never worked for me, I need that time to decompress and relax. Try to get the exercise in while they are awake in the beginning, trying to change your lifestyle is hard work, you can rest or do something for you during naps. Now that my kids are older they love doing P90X3 and Brazil Butt lift with me hahahaha.....my school age boys think that it's hilarious. My daughter loves yoga. Once you are in your groove with exercising consistently the constant interruptions of motherhood won't feel as frustrating when you are exercising :-)
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you can afford a gym membership go very early in the morning before everyone wakes. I am usually at the gym no later than 5:30. It is my me time to zone out and sweat. By the time I get home everyone is jist waking and I get the kids breakfast together. I go to bed no later than 10 or so to ensure I have some energy. If you really want to workout and work on your fitness as others have mentioned, you will make it your priority. I also do yoga daily at home and sometimes my kids do it with me as well or I wait until they are in bed which is around 8:30. We have to make the time.
  • twoeight80
    twoeight80 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about the food when you have kids at home.

You can't do everything. If anyone tells you they do, they're lying. If you're going to work out, something else has to be put on hold. If you're going to do laundry or mop or read a book to the kids, something else is put on hold. You have to prioritze and never let it be a kids' need that is put on hold. I'm sure you're already a pro at that part! Keep up the treadmill , the calorie counting, and loving those kiddos!
  • lizetrombley
    lizetrombley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I work full time for myself (we own a wedding reception center) and have a 20 month old that is with me a majority of the time . I have to work out before he gets up ( so i get up at 5:00am) .
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    hsmith0930 wrote: »
    Why can't you work out while the kid(s) are awake? I don't do anything crazy, but I can do my walk away the fat video when my daughter is hanging out with me. Sometimes she does it with me, other times she plays with her toys or colors with crayons or whatever. But in reality, what you eat is going to help you lose weight more reliably than exercising.

Im a nanny, and the kids love trying to do my 10 minute pilates videos. They think exercise is fun!

But also: don't focus so much on the exercise. If all you manage in a day is to stay under your calorie goal you have succeeded.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm going to win the "bad mother" award here but I get my two kids to watch a DVDs or play a computer game while I do a short workout in the hall. If you have enough space for a yoga mat you can do 30 day shred in that space. YouTube has the videos and millions of others.
  • brit4896
    Options
    twoeight80 wrote: »
    I think it's more about the food when you have kids at home.

You can't do everything. If anyone tells you they do, they're lying. If you're going to work out, something else has to be put on hold. If you're going to do laundry or mop or read a book to the kids, something else is put on hold. You have to prioritze and never let it be a kids' need that is put on hold. I'm sure you're already a pro at that part! Keep up the treadmill , the calorie counting, and loving those kiddos!

Thanks so much for this sweet advice!
  • brit4896
    Options
    I'm going to win the "bad mother" award here but I get my two kids to watch a DVDs or play a computer game while I do a short workout in the hall. If you have enough space for a yoga mat you can do 30 day shred in that space. YouTube has the videos and millions of others.

I'm guilty of that too lol.
  • brit4896
    Options
    I work full time for myself (we own a wedding reception center) and have a 20 month old that is with me a majority of the time . I have to work out before he gets up ( so i get up at 5:00am) .

I am not a morning person lol! Kudos to u!!
  • brit4896
    Options
    I SAH with my 3 year old, 15 month old and I watch a six month old four days a week. I do a variety of things to get exercise in. Usually I'll do a quick morning cardio session while my 3 YO tries to follow along (super cute). Then all three nap in the afternoon and I try to do another quick work-out. And then sometimes I'll do another quick one at night after they go to bed. I just do 10-20 minutes at a time and I haven't had a problem fitting them in.

Wow u go girl!
  • brit4896
    Options
    Danam_s19 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm a mom of 3. None of my kids nap. Only one is in school. I have a short term goal and a long term goal.. Im eating healthy but Im finding it hard to find the time or energy to workout... Im beyond exhausted. I have a 5 and 3 year old at home and Im constantly doing something cleaning something or feeding someone.... How do you find me time???

I'm with ya here girl! It is hard, I usually get a little break in the evening when hubby gets home. Or on the weekends I may go to town to get outta the house for a little bit. I'm not a morning person but I know exercising in the morning would help and would boost your mood for the rest of the day.
  • ImDowner
    ImDowner Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What works for me is setting my 2 yo up with coloring books, dolls, etc. and I'll do an exercise video while she plays. Sometimes she likes to exercise with me, and that's great too. When the weather is nice, we take the stroller out around the neighborhood or go down to the local walking track/park. We'll walk a mile around the track, then play for a few minutes and go again. I will say that when she was around 15 months or so, it was impossible to work out at home with her because she wanted to cling to my leg the entire time, or climb on my back if I was doing floor exercises. But it does get easier, I promise :-)