Arthritis sufferers?

Options
Hi folks, I'm 44 and have severe psoriatic arthritis, and it gets in the way of my progress. I'm looking for friends who may face similar challenges.

I've always been active, and until about a year ago I was a soccer referee, which helped keep my weight down. My knees began giving me trouble, and the doctor said I have osteoarthritis in them and it won't get better until I have them replaced. I'm not ready for anything that extreme yet.

Over the past year, I've been trying different medications to get back to normal, and I'm almost there.

For the past three months, I have battled insurance companies to get meds and was off biologics. I was so bad, I could barely walk, which meant no exercise. Now I can move again and am working toward my goals.

If you have a similar path, lets talk about it.

Thanks,
Lisa

Replies

• RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa! I just got a Dx of PsA this month after struggling for about 4 years with pain that would come and go and not knowing what's going on. This past year has been the worst which is what got me back into a doctor office fighting for answers. Several appts and med combos later I think we are finally onto something hopefully. We can still do this!
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I re-joined mfp recently and only just found your post.

Been there done that! but with rheumatoid arthritis. At one point I was dragging my legs with stiffness but I am now infinitely better on biologics.

Great to hear from a fellow exercise enthusiast with similar obstacles in our daily path. I suffer from periodic flare-ups for various reasons and when I am down with fatigue and pain (multiple joints) I don't do much. Bowing to the inevitable with enforced rest, I suppose, but I never let it go for more than a few weeks. There comes a point when inactivity breeds more symptoms.

Just coming out of a bad patch and beginning to take daily half hour level walks with short sessions of progressive strength training (so important to prevent osteoporosis and for general wellbeing) four times a week. I usually start with 1/2kg weights and progress slowly to let my joints (more than my muscles) adapt. I usually build up to 5-6kg before I have another flare-up. Last year, hillwalking progressed to a glorious 7hour strenuous walk in one of my favourite peaks. It's worth it every time!
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my knees and left ankle because of autoimmune arthritis (Reiter's or Reactive arthritis). It popped up in June 2005 and was mostly gone by mid-late 2006. I never took an immune modulator or biologic, just time and dest. I would have flare ups a few times a year, for a week or two, usually around the changing of the season. I would get tired and my knees would get a little swollen and stiff. My ankle would hurt. This went on for years and I was basically in remission, but with some permanent joint damage that didn't really affect things, but was definitely there. Lately(last 4-5 months) I have been having a lot of problems with stiffness or loss of range of motion in my knees, and substantial pain in my ankle and foot. I don't know if it is immune related, or if the joint disfunction from the past is turning into degeneration/osteoarthritis. I really need to see a rheumatologist or orthopedist. I lift weights very intensely, and it seems like there is no pattern to what my knees and ankle will do, but they are getting worse overall and usually have some low level of swelling and pain. For months, I've been wrapping my ankle(underwrap and athletic tape) when I work legs. I've used sleeves and elastic/cotton wraps on my knees since I started working legs again after the initial attack of arthritis subsided. I used them preventatively in the past, but now, even on a relatively good day, I need the compression and stability or I can't lift heavy and have a very limited range of motion. For cardio, I sometimes walk, or ride an exercise bike. Lately I can't do either without discomfort and joint problems. I like to do boxing training for cardio, but that is hit or miss too. Sometimes I can wrap my ankle and knees and do ok, sometimes there's no way. Feel free to ask me anything. I doubt I can offer much help though.
  • ryanflebbe
    Options
    I have a question. Do you guys(or gals), do you humans(haha) usually have severe fatigue, redness, or warmth in the joints or abnormal blood tests, when the arthritis is bad? I had all of these when I initially developed arthritis, but my problems lately aren't really accompanied by extreme fatigue or big, noticeable external changes to the joints, except for a little swelling sometimes. I haven't had specific tests for a couple years, but during a flare up and poor liver and kidney values, I had tests for CCP, Rh factor, c-reactive protein, and sed rate, and they were within normal. I was positive for HLA-B27. I usually have a slight deficiency in one of the types of white blood cells, nothing big.
  • daizirose
    daizirose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I get random pain, mostly in my hip or hips, back, wrist, knee, ankle or should I say foot because it's in a weird location. I actual ended up quitting my last job because I couldn't stand for 8 hours the pain got too bad. I pretty much have ached my whole life. Now I'm 45, found out my vitamin D levels were very low. I take that daily. My legs don't ache as much but overall I still have various pain. My exercise level is low, I'm always tired or low nervy. I look fine so I tend to think people view me as lazy or just don't want to work. I'm fairly active with house cleaning and job hunting but I'm always worrying about if I will be able to keep my next job or if I will be completely miserable. I have been a self employed hairstylist for many years and have been trying to get out of it. It has not been easy because I really cannot work full time but the part-time jobs make no money either. It is frustrating when you look healthy but feel like crap. I've had crappy intern doctors too and by the time I get to my appointment, (can take months) the pain is usually gone. My Gyno actually pointed out my D level because the so called Doctor I ended up with is incompetent. Rambling...:)
  • ryanflebbe
    Options
    Daizirose, I can understand the feeling crappy, looking ok, thing. I feel guilty and like people are judging me even though I know who and what I am and what I can and can't do. I know I shouldn't give a *kitten*, because no one can walk a mile in another person's shoes and truly know what they are going through, but I have pride, and a desire to push forward and do more. I also have OCD and it makesvme feel the exact same way.
  • ryanflebbe
    Options
    What happened to this thread? Did I kill it? Despite my health problems, I still destroy myself in the gym, including legs, which takes a heavy toll, to try and look the best I can. It's one of the few things I feel like I truly have control over, so I give lifting everything I have, even if it may not always be much.
  • turbonutah
    turbonutah Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I'm 44 and have severe psoriatic arthritis, and it gets in the way of my progress. I'm looking for friends who may face similar challenges.

I've always been active, and until about a year ago I was a soccer referee, which helped keep my weight down. My knees began giving me trouble, and the doctor said I have osteoarthritis in them and it won't get better until I have them replaced. I'm not ready for anything that extreme yet.

Over the past year, I've been trying different medications to get back to normal, and I'm almost there.

For the past three months, I have battled insurance companies to get meds and was off biologics. I was so bad, I could barely walk, which meant no exercise. Now I can move again and am working toward my goals.

If you have a similar path, lets talk about it.

Thanks,
    Lisa

Hi Lisa. I too have osteoarthritis. I'm 46 yrs old. I drive a bus for a living, which doesn't give me much exercise.

I get cortisone injections every 4 months since June 2012. I'm told I need a double knee replacement. They won't even concider it for another 9yrs. My only chance is to get my weight off.

I get my motivation from my mom who I lost September 28th, 2015.

I got my jump start from a consult from True Results. With the information I received and MFP I've lost 17 pounds since Dec 16th, 2015. I bought an eliptacle/stationary bike. When I started my goal was to do 5-15 minute workouts a week. After the first 10 days I was burning 500calories a day. I've been on my bike for about 3 1/2 weeks. Now I'm burning 800+ calories a day. Some days I squeeze in extra time. It has helped in more ways than one. I'm toning, improving my range of motion, and I'm getting the weight off.

Although, I've decided against bariatric surgery, the diet information I received has helped me learn what to eat. Healthier choices are not always easy. You have to be determined. It's funny because my dad and my daughter are constantly asking, "Can you eat this!" They still eat anything and everything. I'm learning what to eat and for once learning just how many calories I need. And on days when I eat 3 square meals and still fall under 1000 calories, it's okay. I substitute meals periodically with a protein shake. If I can't eat because I'm driving I can throw in a shake and be good.
  • Soccerdawg71
    Soccerdawg71 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! For the longest, nobody responded to this and suddenly I have all these awesome responses!
    Let me clarify: I've had psoriatic arthritis since I was 25. The osteo just got added last year (great, thanks, body).

You know, whenever I'm having a flare-up and I'm limping, people at work say, "What did you do to yourself?" And I just say, "Oh, it's just arthritis." Then ... the dreaded phrase: "What? You're too young for arthritis!" Gaaa! I want to punch everyone who says that. Kids get arthritis, OK?

I just posted this blog, too.

It's kind of a rant, but I was getting really tired of people telling me if I just ate a vegan diet, all my problems would be solved!

One of the many reasons I want to lose weight is to make it easier on my joints. More weight = more stress on them. But some days, It's so hard to get moving.

I just started taking Otezla a few weeks ago, and so far, I'm not seeing very good results. But I'm holding out hope. One of the side effects is supposed to be weight loss - if only!
  • Soccerdawg71
    Options
    ryanflebbe wrote: »
    I have a question. Do you guys(or gals), do you humans(haha) usually have severe fatigue, redness, or warmth in the joints or abnormal blood tests, when the arthritis is bad? I had all of these when I initially developed arthritis, but my problems lately aren't really accompanied by extreme fatigue or big, noticeable external changes to the joints, except for a little swelling sometimes. I haven't had specific tests for a couple years, but during a flare up and poor liver and kidney values, I had tests for CCP, Rh factor, c-reactive protein, and sed rate, and they were within normal. I was positive for HLA-B27. I usually have a slight deficiency in one of the types of white blood cells, nothing big.

I used to have severe fatigue, but that was when I wasn't on biologics. When my joints swell up, sometimes they get red and warm. I've never had bad blood tests. For many years I was on Methotrexate and I had to get my liver tested regularly with (luckily) no problems.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in my back, knees, and left foot and ankle pain meds dont work but i am seeing a pain management doctor and they have started giving me shots in my back if the last of 3 works it can last up to 18 months and i get cortisone shots in my knees but they may try a different kind that is better in the veterans affair will aprove it and my foot and ankle has had 4 surgeries and another one coming in june. So i understand pain. I will send you a friends request.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've read these posts and have learned a lot. I have mild joint problems and a bunion that makes walking uncomfortable. No treatment for that so I stopped my treadmill and bought a stationary bike. I have to take it easy with workout DVDs. The bunion flared up suddenly about 5 months ago and I now wear orthotics to try to help with the pain and slow the progression. I'm 61 and thought I'd be able to do pretty much whatever I wanted to do till I was 80. Ain't life a * itch. I'm glad I can bike though. Thanks for posting guys.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    @Soccerdawg71

Enjoyed blog. Not that my family hassle me but I have commented recently that I feel like a (female) mutant in my family as I come from a long line of women who have never relied on drugs! Not because they're anti-drugs and pro alternatives but because they're Amazonian in health. I drew the short straw. Mind you I haven't had a flare this long term in 20 years, currently on a DMARD and noticing some improvement. The NSAID I was on for something else seemed to trigger it. Severely ticked that it has interfered with my life to put it nicely.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of anti-imflammatory foods you can include or increase in your diet-salmon, whole grains, garlic, cherries, kale. Fatty red meat, aubergine, potatoes, peppers and tomatoes can increase inflammation in many people, as can sugar. Hope that helps! Good luck.
  • Soccerdawg71
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    @Soccerdawg71

Enjoyed blog. Not that my family hassle me but I have commented recently that I feel like a (female) mutant in my family as I come from a long line of women who have never relied on drugs! Not because they're anti-drugs and pro alternatives but because they're Amazonian in health. I drew the short straw. Mind you I haven't had a flare this long term in 20 years, currently on a DMARD and noticing some improvement. The NSAID I was on for something else seemed to trigger it. Severely ticked that it has interfered with my life to put it nicely.

Ha! I feel ya! I was adopted at birth, and my entire adopted family has/had arthritis (but mine is apparently the worst of all). But I recently found my birth family and can't find anyone in the family with serious arthritis (bio-mom has mild osteo in her hands). You know, genetics are weird!
  • TGMotorcycle
    TGMotorcycle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have lived in pain since 1996 Dr wanted me on permanent disability but was turned down by SSI now I have been in constant pain for over a year and my current Dr once again said I will never be able to work. I have several health issues and was even told that they will kill me but I am determined to lose weight and live a long life. I know I will need a lung transplant eventually and the RA will get worse. I also know that I will end up in a wheelchair for the problems I have in my back and legs but determined to stay positive and live for today.
  • Soccerdawg71
    Options
    Get a disability lawyer. SSI will continue to turn you down until a lawyer steps in. A friend of mine has MS and was homeless for two years. Finally, he hired a lawyer and got it. Then they payed him back pay, too. It's worth it.

Glad you're staying positive, though.
  • ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Wow I've always been looking for a post like this on here! I have been suffering from rheumatoid arthritis since I was 19, in 2002. I was a two sport athlete in college and my life has changed dramatically since I haven't been able to do as much. I've gained a ton of weight between the different medications, rounds of steroids, not as much exercise and depression over the years.

I've still always remained active, playing in adult coed sports leagues, and coaching at the high school I work at. Lately I've been having a really bad flare again, it's so frustrating! Can't figure out why or what. Now I'm on to another round of prednisone and hope it helps.

Glad to find other people going through the same issues!
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Also candida in the gut can cause/ aggravate flare ups- perhaps a candida diet for a few weeks may help?
  • Becky1244
    Becky1244 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with RA last summer. Luckily it is in the very early stages, I was mostly having pain in my hands, and overall soreness and fatigue. I want to lose weight and be stronger to make it easier for my body to handle whatever is coming down the road.