Losing weight after 40

Does anyone find it more difficult to lose weight, I am 43, about 5 years ago I lost about 55 pounds with weight watchers in about 6 months. So far with mfp it's going very slow. Anyone have this experience? Thanks for any input

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited January 2016
    When I was younger, losing weight was easier because I had a more active lifestyle. Now I have a desk job and have to work at being active.

Also, losing weight for me was easier in the spring and summer last year because there was more daylight - before and after work I gardened and otherwise spent more time outdoors and moving without having to work at it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    No

I found it much easier and sustainable
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    I am 45 and I have found it fairly easy to lose weight this time around. I tried to lose weight many times before, but since I started using MFP in late June I have lost 36 lbs.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    I'm like you, 41 and things are going much more slowly than 3 years ago when I lost 40 pounds in 6 months. There are various differences, like I'm taking a bc pill now, but really I don't know why it's harder now. This time I've lost 20 pounds in the last 12 months but hey, I'll take it. I'm just going to keep going, keep trying to improve.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    No

I found it much easier and sustainable

This.

I lost weight "easily" in my twenties by crash dieting. Surprise, surprise, I put it back on.

This time, I'm doing things in moderation, and sustainably. It's been a breeze, and a wonderful learning experience.

29 kg lost since April 2015, and 4 kg to go. Then I'll be using MFP indefinitely to maintain.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Now that I'm tracking calories, shooting for a livable number of them to take in every day, and not trying to change and/or do things I know are not sustainable indefinitely for me?

Nope.

In fact, so far I've been losing weight at a rate faster than I calculated for. Go figure.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Only because I don't have an hour and a half to spend in the gym every morning anymore.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    I'm 42. It took me the past year to lose 60 lbs., but I didn't mind: before last year any weight loss was a race. From now on, it's a journey. :)
  • Truecullers72
    Truecullers72 Posts: 38 Member
    Thanks so much for all your replies, I will try to add a bit more activity in my daily routine maybe that will help
  • bugseypimberton
    bugseypimberton Posts: 3 Member
    At 60 I find it moves slower, yes. I had to lower a calorie in take. On the up side, I find I don't have to exercise as long or as hard for results to add up. So its a mix.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    In my 20's and 30's I could lose 50 lbs in a few months. And always gained it back plus 10. At 41, it took about 6 years to lose 90 lbs. I'm 54 and have gained 25 of it back in the last 3 years and find it hard. But here's the thing. I used to run regularly and often spent more than an hour in the gym 5 days a week. I loved it! I also moved to the city where I walked to the train, ran for the bus and had loads of stairs. Our circumstances change. It's not that I'm 54 that it's hard. It's that I eat way too much (and not always the healthiest), and don't move my body enough.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Things to keep in mind:

1. The more you have to lose the faster it will come off initially.
    2. Typically the younger you are, the faster your metabolism, so you'll burn calories faster.

I'm 44 and have been using MFP for just over a year, losing 84 pounds. It came off at about 10 pounds/mo in the beginning, but now I'm losing around 4-5 pounds/month.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Hi, I'm 42 and I feel it's more of a lifestyle change now. I'm currently 268lb however when I was 18 I attended meeting for a very low carb diet group and got down to 147lbs.. I had to work really hard back then and it was never in a million years going to be sustained, I've come to realise that as a mum, I take what I can when I can and put everyone else first. Changing my food choice has do be achieved now inline with my lifestyle and if that's means slow and steady, I'll take it. Well done on taking ownership for your weight and starting on this journey. To answer your question, yes it has slowed down but just go with it Hun and enjoy the ride. As long as the scales are heading in the right direction, you're doing great xx
  • I think I'm smarter now, so I just can't bring myself to do the quick fixes like I used to. Slow and steady is the only way. Once I got that, it started coming off.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Everyone's Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) drops as they age. That means that I have to eat way fewer calories at 56 yr old to lose 10 lbs than I did when I was 25.

That being said. No, I generally don't have trouble losing weight once I've put my mind to it. I've had plenty of practice with yo-yo dieting.

This time my challenge is going to be keep it off for good. For me, that means portion control 24/7/365.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Have you had your thyroid levels checked? An underactive thyroid can make weight loss more challenging. It's a simple blood test that's needed to determine if there's an issue there, and if there is, medication will level the playing field. ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    The BMR drop is not fixed in stone ...preserve and build muscle through a progressive resistance programme, move more to increase your TDEE and you can easily counteract the 100 cal per decade drop

Jus' say in' :)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Nope. I'm 46 (almost 47) & I'm lighter and leaner (thank you, heavy lifting!) than I was in my 20s. I never had a weight problem or was a yo-yo/chronic dieter, though so my experience may be quite different than others. I always stayed in pretty good shape/weight due to active job. I ate whatever I wanted. But, pregnancy added some extra pounds and flabbiness. I have less time for me self now so I have a solid plan for working out and follow my deficit plan. I've lost over 18lbs and feel great! When I was younger, I used to go to the gym and aimlessly go from machine to machine. I can't over emphasize having a good plan. Consistency is the key. I've gone from 137-118.8 since Jan. 2015. Slow weight loss is good. I lost mine .5lb a week.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    I'm 46 and I have lost 80 pounds pretty easily. You'll lose it when you're ready.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Thanks so much for all your replies, I will try to add a bit more activity in my daily routine maybe that will help

Using a FitBit motivates me to increase my activity, as does earning extra calories from exercise.