But what did you really do to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I counted calories at first, figured out how much I needed, how much I burned. I learned which foods are high, moderate and low in calories. Then I stopped counting because it made me very obsessive over food and it caused me to binge.

Once I stopped counting, I started focusing more on health and creating new habits. I exercised daily (it became habit, I still do), I started eating more whole foods and more balanced meals (I made sure I had lots of veg, a decent serving of protein, and some carbs) and I've learned to LOVE this WOE. It's something I can definitely do for the rest of my life.

Most importantly, I started eating the way I imagined the thinner me would eat with regards to portions and types of food. 80% healthy and 20% indulgence.

I've lost 28lb using that technique.

BUT. I never would have been able to do it, if I didn't learn about the calories in food first. I had to have the knowledge of calories before I could make it happen.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As I read through this thread where many people have successfully lost weight, I notice a few commonalities:

1) They ate less than they burned (CI<CO is king).
    2) Many of them took up some sort of exercise program.
    3) Although there were many different dietary approaches, they all emphasized caloric deficit.

A few of the things I didn't see in these people's posts:

1) Cleanses/detoxes.
    2) "Fat burner" pills or potions.
    3) Fad diets (military diet, cabbage soup diet, juice diet, etc.)
    4) MLM scam products (Advocare, Beachbody, Herbalife, etc.)

The latter things are not necessary, not helpful and not the key to sustainable weight loss. If you read through the "Success Stories" forum here, you'll notice the same thing. People who have successfully lost weight and maintained the loss did so in a manner which was sensible and sustainable.

In general, people who rely upon the "quick fixes" and diet scams are the ones who you'll see post for a week or two exclaiming how well it's working for them and how they've lost 8, 10, 12 pounds. Then they either fall off the radar entirely and/or resurface a month or two later with a "HELLLLLLP, CAN'T LOOOSE WEIGHT!!!!1!!" thread. That's because what they were doing wasn't sustainable (or didn't work in the first place beyond creating some water weight loss) and they went back to their old way of eating and put all the weight right back on.

Eat a sensible, reasonable diet that you can live with and maintain a caloric deficit. If "clean eating" makes you feel better, cool - if it's vegetarian, vegan, paleo, low-carb, moderation/IIFYM - whatever. Whatever is easiest for you to adhere to, because adherence is what matters in the long term. Mix in a little exercise - it's not necessary for weight loss, but it's good for general health reasons and a lot of people find it makes them feel better. Try to make it something you enjoy so you'll stick to it and maybe even have some fun with it in the process. Losing weight isn't easy, but it *is* simple.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The same as most on here CICO. When I go to the gym I don't lose
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    daross16 wrote: »
    This is best answered by women because men tend to lose weight differently.

I am merely a man, but I am pretty sure that what made the biggest difference for me WILL work for you. I stopped snacking on chocolate biscuits during break times at work.

I changed my perspective to stop seeing them as some sort of treat. Doing this day in day out meant I was eating fewer calories than before (creating a "calorie deficit" each day, if you like) and I began to lose weight.

But I am a man, so who knows if that works for women?
  • piratesbooty65
    piratesbooty65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, you have to make a commitment to yourself. That's hard to do when you're a mom and you have a full-time job. I have a tendency of putting others and things before myself. The truth is though, I am better when I am taking care of myself.

I lose when I cut out processed foods and limit my carbs. Alcohol holds up my weight loss, too, so I don't drink anymore than 2 glasses of wine a week if I have to lose some pounds. The other thing that helps is cardio and a little strength training. I just do it all at home....30 minutes on the treadmill and some simple exercises with Dumbbells. When I'm on the treadmill, I do at least 2 miles jogging and walking in spurts to increase the burn. I'm in my 40s and a new runner so I don't go fast. Everyday that I do the treadmill, I do 100 sit-ups on my exercise ball. It helps strengthen my core.

I've found what works for me. The key is to make that commitment to yourself.
  • mach1chick
    mach1chick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am happy to answer this! I am 53 and just last year finally found out how to lose, after 3 decades of practicing how not to. And I will sum it up in a few words, and let everyone else do the reading and research because I don't have time right now to write that much, and I will leave links.

Low carb and intermittent fasting

To learn how and why www.intensivedietarymanagement.com

"Good Calories, Bad Calories", by Gary Taubes

The plan to get you started on an east fasting plan, just 2 days a week: "The Fast Diet" by Dr. Michael Mosley

I lost 35 lbs from May to July 2015 ,kept it off in maintenance, starting again this year for the last 20, am already down another 4.

• marshaeb93
    marshaeb93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    daross16 wrote: »
    You know, if you look at any of my other posts, it's always in the style of ranting. It's what I do best. Every college paper I ever got praise for was also a well-organized rant.
    ANYWAYS- I'm trying to crack the case:
    What did you REALLY do to lose weight? This is best answered by women because men tend to lose weight differently.
    I always see success stories and the answer is always so vague: "Oh, I just worked really hard. Ate clean and worked out five days a week." "It was all strength training." "Oh I walked 30 minutes all day" "I only ate pickles for all year."
    Great. Glad for you. But can you be more specific? Give a general idea of your workout schedule? Did you do it home, at the gym, with weights, circuit training, how many calories were you working with, etc?

So tl;dr: What, in reasonable detail, did you do to lose weight?
    I'm not looking for sassy responses or "constructive criticism." Just a straight answer.

I joined a fitness center called FARRELLS. They taught me how to eat and what to eat. I started eating smaller portions about 5-6 times a day (every 2 hours roughly). I cut out ALL processed foods. I cut out 90% of my sugar intake including artificial sweeteners. I stopped drinking Pop/Coffee or anything else w/ caffeine. I tracked EVERYTHING I ate - If I decided to sneak a handful of M&M's at work, I tracked it. I had to be accountable for everything. I was allowed 1 cheat day a week so I didn't go into binge mode. AND - I exercised 6 days a week. I did kickboxing 3 days a week for my intense cardio (you burn like 900 calories an hour doing kick boxing!) and the other 3 days was strength training with bands. The best part is that it's not a typical gym - they have instructors that teach the classes every day, so you never have to try and do it on your own. Someone is there telling you what to do and keeping you accountable and motivating you to push harder. :) I've been doing it since 04/2015 and I'm down 46 lbs and went from a size 24 dress to a size 16. :) Still a long way to go to where I want to be - but definitely on the right track!
  • xveer22
    xveer22 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've read the book of the Beck Diet Solution to help change my mindset to think like a thin person. At first I was never succesful to lose weight, but since I read the book I am.

I've learned to not eat anything while I'm standing. This sounds weird, but if you think about it: how often do you eat a free sample at the supermarket or eat out of the pan while you're cooking, or eat while putting your leftovers in a tub, or when you walk from the fridge to your chair? These all count up to quite some calories which you don't even notice, so actually a waste of the calories.

I also plan what I eat the day beforehand and I know that I can't eat anything else than what is on my plan. This way I have much less craving, because I have less discussion and stress in my mind if I should eat something or not: if it is on my plan I will, and otherwise not.

And what also deffinately helps is to give yourself credit if you do something which is good for losing help. Such as that I'm giving myself a HUGE compliment if I resisted the piece of chocolate that I got with my tea in the restaurant, because it was not on my food plan. Because I'm complimenting myself, I'm much more likely to do that behavior again :)

And lastly I'm sometimes practicing at home to resist food. Because my weakness is to have food in front of me that I can't eat. So sometimes I serve myself more food than I should eat, put the food which I shouldn't eat on the side of my plate and try to not eat it. I've now managed that a couple of times, so now I will practise with candies and chips. This practices really help me a lot.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I vary a lot because I get bored. I make new goals all the time to try not to lose motivation.

Hello. :) Twins...at least on this.
    I've gone from a size 12 to a size 4/6 and maintained it for over 3 years. I've lost inches and pounds and fat, and gained strength, flexibility and endurance. I'm eating pizza right now. I still drink alcohol, enjoy dining out, going to parties, and celebrating holidays. No crash diets, no huge calorie restrictions or temporary fixes.

And where I hope to be someday. Gotta deal with resistance training. I hate DOMS...legs day. :/ Just gonna have to deal.

Thanks for the thread...I like details too.

I've done different things different times. Less calories more movement.

On the changing things up thing, just added the rowing machine to my cardio time at the gym. It is a high intensity exercise for me...open mouth breathing at a good clip, and less than 15 minutes so far. Lost an inch off my waist after the second round...hard to believe but true. And, after being flat on weight loss last week this week, I'm down 4 pounds.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    For a specific breakdown by time:

5:00am- coffee with 1/4 cup nonfat milk
    6:30- oatmeal with brown sugar (or similar for 100-200 calories)
    8:45- snack (around 100 calories)
    10:30- snack (around 100 calories)
    12:30- lunch (salad, protein, similar between 200-400 calories)
    5:00pm- dinner (biggest meal of the day, but still aim for around 600 calories)
    7:00- snack/dessert (around 100-200 calories)

So I suppose my goal is to eat regularly in small amounts.

My workout of choice is fast walking for about 4-5 miles. (I will add an extra snack or more calories to the meals on these days).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I use a troubleshooting technique taught by Stanford.

http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/programs/cdsmp.html

I define a problem, consider several solutions, apply one for a week or so and then re-evaluate. I keep doing the things that work. Over the past three years I have steadily transformed my habits.

I also underwent Bariatric surgery. These days I:

- eat about 1700 calories daily.
    - I eat a variety of macros at every meal and snack, but this is not necessary for weight loss. It just guarantees me a healthy balance.
    - I run every other day and track my steps. To keep me going out the door I sign up for races and events.
    - When I sense boredom coming on I find a new engaging activity to keep me going.
    - I never deprive myself but portions are drastically reduced. It might be ONE chocolate truffle at the office party, ONE glass of wine chased with water for the rest of the evening.
    - I eat slowly and mindfully and if I have to choose between quantity and quality I go for quality. I have an ancient aged cheddar in my fridge right now which will be shaved over dozens of dinners, and truffle flavoured salt.
    - Give chopsticks a try. Food has a different texture on the palate if it is placed there instead of being shovelled in.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    I tracked what I consumed as honestly and accurately as I could. I bought a food scale to use to weigh solid foods.

I experimented to find a calorie goal and macro balance that kept me satisfied.

I eat foods I like and I don't eat foods I don't like. I don't "eat clean" by any stretch of the imagination. I mostly eat smaller portions of the types of foods I've always eaten and will continue to eat after I've lost all of the weight I want to lose. My freezer is full of handy frozen meals and frozen steam-in-bag veggies so that I can fix a meal in 10 minutes or so whenever I'm hungry.

I don't exercise. I know that I won't exercise on a regular basis during maintenance either so I'm losing weight in the way I mean to continue.

This sounds a lot like me also. Although I DO exercise some and always have, even at my heavier weights (over 100 lb higher than today) I was walking, at minimum, several miles per week. I know that I would never consistently work out in a gym, Zumba classes, or go on runs. So I stick with stuff I like to do and do it as much as possible...walking, deep cleaning my home and organizing stuff a lot in my office. I know that sounds lame as "exercise" but I'm talking about a few solid hours of rearranging, light cleaning, carrying boxes and light cargo and such...when I could feasibly just sit in one position looking at the interwebz. That's the sort of exercise I enjoy. On weekends I typically go on a 2 hour hike (at least). I've never so much as touched a treadmill though. I know I would not stick with that.

My diet is not "clean" but I do avoid a lot of processed stuff. My husband and I tend to eat a very very basic diet of staples like fruits, veggies, lentils, beans, tofu, seafood, etc...punctuated with burgers and cookies, and after long hikes we enjoy going out for things like Thai or Mexican food on the weekend. I still eat all of my favorite stuff, just less of it. Have cut out a few items I never cared much about anyway, like chips.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I started recording everything I ate, not just to track calories but to actually see what I was eating in a day. I have found my issue is I eat when I am not hungry, it is a newer habit of mine. Started maybe 7-8 years ago and it is the reason I put on so much weight (goal weight: 145, starting: 185)

I also really make sure I hit those 10,000 steps a day, there may no actual science behind the number but that is my goal. I use my iWatch to make sure I stand up throughout the day and have started to add more workouts slowly. I like using Amazon for videos and doing some of the dance videos, yoga and pilates. My next step is starting adding more strength training.

I have also found outdoor activities that enjoy and are a workout. I love to ride horses and did as a kid, so I have returned to that. Hiking is a new passion I have found and I have a goal to hike my 2nd 14er this summer. I do a Muckfest with my family, we camp, I want to try snowshoeing. I still have a ways to go to hit my goals but I'm well on my way
  • Elen1a
    Elen1a Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fasted every other day for coming up to nine months now. Why? It offers quick weight loss, benefits my health in other ways, and I enjoy it.

I give a rough estimate to calories consumed and stick with that. If I'm a tad inaccurate - so what? As I eat one meal every other day around 7pm, I'm hitting my deficit anyway (again, for health reasons and enjoyment as much as the weight loss. No issue with sticking with this for life) so if I'm a bit out that's fine. Whilst I respect some people wish to count calories and weigh their food for life this definitely isn't something I'd be willing to do. In my mind, life is too short to be ruled by a scale.

Exercise - not too strict on it even if I should be. I just wanted to get the weight off fast, and even now I'm losing around a pound a week. No I'm not interested if certain people deem this unhealthy; my doctor is fine with me doing this. As I'm still losing around 1% of my body weight every week (currently 129 ibs, and definitely losing just over a pound a week) and eating enough protein, fibre etc, not interested in any dietary advice. Sorry but I know how this forum can get sometimes :p. It's great if you want/ ask for the help, but can get dicey if your method isn't something certain people agree with.

That's about it for me. I'm in great health, I eat great food without depriving myself and have found something to sort any health issues I have. Good luck.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I forgot what I did.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Most people are creatures of habit. By that I mean we typically have the same thing for breakfast everyday, we'll order the same thing at McDonald's every time we go, or we eat one of the same 5 dinners in our typical routine. If you have a "routine" than simply cut it down. I eat the same things I did before but just in smaller portions now. If you use to go to In-N-Out and got the Double Double, fry and a Coke than order just the regular cheese burger, eat only half of the fries and get a Coke Zero. Cut your "routine" meals in half, learn to eat smaller portions and you will lose weight.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers while losing most of the weight, but same concept. I tracked (and continue to track) the vast majority of what I eat, or at least do so about 90% of the time. I have a food scale and measuring cups but I've typically always been an estimator and prefer to estimate my portions and I've never found that to be an issue. If you're not trying to deceive yourself and sneak in more than you are tracking, I think estimating is a fine enough measure. I've never been hardcore about sticking very rigidly to my points/calories and allow myself plenty of days to enjoy myself. I still drink alcohol. I still eat nachos and French fries. Sometimes it fits into my calorie goals and sometimes it doesn't. It's not about being perfect all the time.

I started out working out 3 days a week and eventually moved up to 4 or sometimes 5, but never more than that. I do a lot of cardio like running, kickboxing, HIIT, etc. but also try to build in strength.

I lost weight slowly so that I never felt like I was making any drastic life changes. I didn't tell everyone about all of the things I was doing or going to do, I just did them. It took me about 3.5 years to lose 115 pounds but it has stayed off for the past 3.5 years. I'd still love to lose another 15 pounds or so but if it never happens so be it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    To lose weight I ate less then I burned. Weight loss is always going to come down to calories . calories in / calories out. Eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight. (That goes for whatever way of eating chooses )
    I realized for me there was no reason to pick a special diet like low carb , paleo, and so on because weight loss comes down to calories. Not the foods you eat or don't eat.there's no advantage to picking a special diet. It comes down to cico always.
    So after I realized that deprivation wasn't for me, I was good to go! I ate the foods I loved but within my calories.

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I entered my stats into MFP and selected lose 0.5 pounds/week. I weighed my food and kept track of the calories I was eating. I entered my exercise into MFP and ate back the number of calories it said I burned.

I didn't make any big changes to my diet. Just little things to save calories. For example I used 100 calorie sandwich flats instead of sliced bread. I stopped using mayo and used mustard or hot sauce instead.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I entered my stats into MFP and selected lose 0.5 pounds/week. I weighed my food and kept track of the calories I was eating. I entered my exercise into MFP and ate back the number of calories it said I burned.

I didn't make any big changes to my diet. Just little things to save calories. For example I used 100 calorie sandwich flats instead of sliced bread. I stopped using mayo and used mustard or hot sauce instead.

It is amazing how those little things add up to make a painless deficit.