How to deal with girlfriend ruining my diet?

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Find other activities for the two of you that are not focused on food.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    oduca wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hi guy,

I'm having a hard time dieting. I don't mind eating broccoli and chicken breast every single day, but my problem is my girlfriend, she always want to go to out. Often when we go out, we eat out. Also, when I buy her food she doesn't finish it so I often have to eat her food. Is there any tips would be very helpful.
    Lol, she's not forcing you to eat and she's not on your diet. So if you go out, share with her. You're eating what's left anyway.
    The other thing is DON'T go out so often. Learn to cook at home and have her do it too. Because if this is the person you intend to stay with, they BETTER know how to cook anyway.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You are right, it's was my desicion to eat. No excuses. Now I need help not to overeat. I would eat my food and then my gf's leftovers. I will try to bring it home next.

I just can't help not to overeat. Even though I know I'm full but for some reason I don't feel full when I see food, specially salt or spicy I tend to over eat untill I'm bloated. I hate this feeling. I have no self control. What should I do?

Some options:

Is each meal loaded with vegetables and water? This could help with keeping full

Do you have items you love sprinkled throughout your diet? I find it helps with having a nice exciting meal or treat to look forward to. Then there's no need to go crazy because you see something nice - it's waiting for you soon enough

You could also try just practicing "later". You're not necessarily saying no to what you want to eat. Just wait 10, 30 minutes, or an hour or two. Space it out around the day and maybe allow it to be your next meal

Think up your own strategies and try to understand why you choose to eat this way each time. You may be best equipped to figure this out and come up with some solutions that may work for you
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Find other activities for the two of you that are not focused on food.

Find a different girlfriend? :)

Just a joke people
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1. As others mentioned you don't have to eat chicken and broccoli everyday change things up.

2. It's okay to eat out, but you don't have too if you don't want. Maybe schedule days to eat out and not going out some days. Find a plan with your girlfriend so both of your voices can be heard.

3. As others mentioned you don't have to eat your girlfriends good. Get the food to go and it can be the next day's lunch for her, and if she doesn't want it you can eat it then. I always get some of my portions to go when I go out because it's not easy finishing the whole thing often when you eat in restaurants give out huge portions (at least it seems like that to me).

4. Understand responsibility for what you eat your girlfriend is not ruining your diet. You choose to eat back her food it's a choice. You and your girlfriend need to communicate better have more dialogues tell her that you don't want to get out as much. Whoever I go out I find items that are lower in sodium, if it's a higher calorie item I might pick it. I would walk around or jump rope to help burn it. Or The next day I would eat not as much.
  • asyk805
    asyk805 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Have a date night in and cook a new healthy recipe together. We did this last week and it was nice. We even went to the meat market together and oogled all the different options before making our choice.
    He is currently sending me links to try on our next date night in.
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If your paying for her food and eating her leftovers then you should pick the places you eat that will help you make wise choices. If you two have regular eating places you attend then be proactive and do your menu homework to know what your healthiest choices are before you go there. Dont give her the power anymore to help you sabatoge yourself.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Hi guy,

I'm having a hard time dieting. I don't mind eating broccoli and chicken breast every single day, but my problem is my girlfriend, she always want to go to out. Often when we go out, we eat out. Also, when I buy her food she doesn't finish it so I often have to eat her food. Is there any tips would be very helpful.

i eat out all the time and have lost 70 pounds.

you do not have to finish her food. thats ridiculous.

stop making excuses.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Stop blaming her for your own shortcomings.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    We have friends who ALWAYS split meals at restaurants. I don't know how they do it, b/c I usually eat more food than my husband. Also, find activities that don't revolve around food...going to the gym together would be an excellent test of the strength of the relationship.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    When we go out to eat, I always ask for a take out box when I get my meal and put about 1/2 of the meal into the take out box so I don't eat it all. I felt a little awkward at first, but I don't really care!

Also, you don't need to eat her food. That is a choice. Most restaurants are offering more healthy choices now. Do a little planning ahead and then "suggest" a place to eat when your girlfriend wants to eat out.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    First of all, you don't have to eat chicken and broccoli every day. Don't know where you got that idea. Eat what you like, just in portions that fit the calorie goal that MFP gave you.

You can eat out. If the place you're going to has their menu online, you can easily plan ahead. If not, just do the best you can. Restaurants often offer huge portions, so I typically eat half of everything that's on my plate and bring the rest home for lunch the next day.

Of course, the first thing you should do is talk to your girlfriend and tell her that you don't appreciate it when she holds a gun to your head and force feeds you grow up and realize that you are responsible for your own actions, that no one can force you to make bad choices and that it's not your girlfriend who is ruining your diet.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My husband and I will often split a starter and a main. He gets 2/3 I get 1/3.. Smaller portion means less calories. No wastage.

Problem solved!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    If she can't finish a whole dinner, why not settle on one dish to order and just split it? Make it fit your calories and there's no waste.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Id say the number one thing you could do is ask for boxes at the START of dinner. Box up half of the girlfriends dinner (and whatever you shouldnt be eating in advance). Out of sight... Out of mind... Some time in the middle of your dinner... Simply stand up and walk somewhere... (Go to the bathroom... Anything). Sometimes you don't notice how full you are when you're sitting. Take your time while you're eating. Talk to your girlfriend.... Take a bite once every 30 seconds. Also... Contrary to what may seem to make sense... Don't starve yourself before going out for dinner trying to make up for it in advance. You're sabotaging yourself if you start dinner in a ravanous state. Finally... Be willing to throw out food.... Dinner for your girlfriend is about sharing company with you. It's a social event. It's not about maximizing the utility of your dollar per pound of food. I stop eating when I'm not hungry. I throw out or save what's left. This may seem wasteful... But add up the number of calories wasted maintaining an overweight body. More food is wasted maintaining high body weights than food thrown out at restaurants.
  • oduca
    oduca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

I don't understand why people don't read the whole thread. I admitted that it's my fault. It's my decision to overeat. Now I need to overcome that. So far you guys had given me great strategies to deal with my weak self control.

But seeing "Stop blaming her for your own shortcomings", yes I had acknowledge that's it's my fault. Please, I need more elaboration on how can I correct my shortcomings. Tips or tricks would help a lot more.

Like I said before, when I see food I eat them, so rather not see junk food. I'm a very weak person, and I get very depressed on why I can't control my overeating.

Today I will try to drink more water and eat more veggies like you guys suggested.

Thanks again guys.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

I don't understand why people don't read the whole thread. I admitted that it's my fault. It's my decision to overeat. Now I need to overcome that. So far you guys had given me great strategies to deal with my weak self control.

But seeing "Stop blaming her for your own shortcomings", yes I had acknowledge that's it's my fault. Please, I need more elaboration on how can I correct my shortcomings. Tips or tricks would help a lot more.

Like I said before, when I see food I eat them, so rather not see junk food. I'm a very weak person, and I get very depressed on why I can't control my overeating.

Today I will try to drink more water and eat more veggies like you guys suggested.

Thanks again guys.

I think people are just responding to the language that you used. You said your girlfriend is "ruining" your diet. No, your choices are what is impacting your diet. And you said you "have" to eat the food she doesn't eat. No, you're not obligated to eat it. You choose to eat it.

If the issue is that when you see food you want to eat it, that's what you need to address. Any successful plan to maintain a weight loss will require us to navigate a world with a variety of food choices. We have to learn how to say "no" and focus on what we really want to eat.
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Thanks again guys.

I would suggest therapy or at least doing a little reading on mindfulness. It has helped me to control my binges a lot. I've been struggling with the same thing, eating past being full and feeling out of control about it. I try to stop and ask myself why I'm eating. If it's just because there's food in front of me, or because I'm sad or stressed, that's not a good reason. It takes time and practice.

And yeah, share how you're feeling with your girlfriend. I wish I'd done that, but when I was dating someone and trying to lose weight I just ended up pushing them away because I felt so bad about myself.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Talk to her, offer to cook for her, but please stop eating 'chicken breast and broccoli'. You can lose weight by eating tasty food that isn't boring.

And yeah, I don't get the 'I have to eat her food' part.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think people are just responding to the language that you used. You said your girlfriend is "ruining" your diet. No, your choices are what is impacting your diet. And you said you "have" to eat the food she doesn't eat. No, you're not obligated to eat it. You choose to eat it.

If the issue is that when you see food you want to eat it, that's what you need to address. Any successful plan to maintain a weight loss will require us to navigate a world with a variety of food choices. We have to learn how to say "no" and focus on what we really want to eat.

He may not have picked the best words.. but as a guy whose gone through this.... (not to say this is everyone or even a majority) but i've had many women downplay my weight loss journey. Dieting is not seen as the most masculine activity. I've had some women just say "Oh, you can just stop drinking beer and drop 20 pounds" or "don't lose any more weight, you're too skinny" when you are still BMI overweight... or the "you can eat pizza, its no big deal for you guys it comes off so easy". In some ways, yes, its easier for guys to drop weight. I can say, however, people tend to not be as supportive.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

He may not have picked the best words.. but as a guy whose gone through this.... (not to say this is everyone or even a majority) but i've had many women downplay my weight loss journey. Dieting is not seen as the most masculine activity. I've had some women just say "Oh, you can just stop drinking beer and drop 20 pounds" or "don't lose any more weight, you're too skinny" when you are still BMI overweight... or the "you can eat pizza, its no big deal for you guys it comes off so easy". In some ways, yes, its easier for guys to drop weight. I can say, however, people tend to not be as supportive.

That's really unfortunate. Thanks for sharing your perspective.