230 lbs 27.8% BF and now 223.6lbs with 26.1%? WHAT

Options
I just had a realized while I was lying in bed that isn't this wrong? I don't want to end up skinny fat.

I lost weight from Jan 1,2016 - to Jan 16- from 230-223.6. Is it too fast? Why isn't fat percent dropping similarly?

I'm not even taking cheat days neither have a consumed single drop of alcohol. Even sugar is in check.

What's going on? Did I miss out on a formula or something? This on surface sounds like weight and fat has no correlation

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Unless you are paying to have tests done, any at home method is not accurate, including scales. There's a lot that can alter the outcome of body fat % such as water weight fluctuations.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    How are you coming up with your bf%?
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Well initial weight loss has a lot to do with water weight percentages. Give it time.
  • bigbodybake
    bigbodybake Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    From what I've read 7 pounds in most people will equal 1% of body fat, so your numbers seem right
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    That's about right. Body fat percentage will not drop as fast as weight. You always lose some muscle as well. Eat adequate proteins, and pump iron to slow down the muscle loss.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Unless you are paying to have tests done, any at home method is not accurate, including scales. There's a lot that can alter the outcome of body fat % such as water weight fluctuations.

I did get it checked from Herbal life once upon a time and then came home to measure it- and it came out to same -so if it's wrong -they are both wrong but as a standard or benchmark for measuring -it does the job.
    How are you coming up with your bf%?
    I have Escali scale at home.
    Well initial weight loss has a lot to do with water weight percentages. Give it time.

Water weight ratio went up in the body from ~54 something to 56% now ?

I'd really be disappointed if I ended up being skinny fat lol

• viren19890
    Options

Do you guys think any exercises specifically hit fat? I mean like HIIT ? I do 5/3/1 right now but I can try to incorporate HIIT -if it'll target fat -wishful thinking but maybe ?
  • BluenoserGal
    BluenoserGal Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think it's waaaaay too early to worry about slight discrepancies. When you are nearing your goal you can take another look at it.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    A scale cannot accurately determine your BF%. It may consistently show changes so you can see a trend but that's it.

If you aren't doing strength training, start now - this will help preserve your existing muscle, and help prevent that "skinny fat" look you don't want.

~Lyssa
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Keep up the weightlifting to maintain muscle and HIIT will help burn calories. Yes, losing 17 pounds in two weeks is probably not a healthy rate, but the beginning of diets are the easiest. Keep up the workouts!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You don't know what your BF is because body fat scales and bio Impedence are pointless

To ensure a good body composition include progressive resistance as you lose weight to preserve as much LBM as possible
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    I just had a realized while I was lying in bed that isn't this wrong? I don't want to end up skinny fat.

I lost weight from Jan 1,2016 - to Jan 16- from 230-223.6. Is it too fast? Why isn't fat percent dropping similarly?

I'm not even taking cheat days neither have a consumed single drop of alcohol. Even sugar is in check.

What's going on? Did I miss out on a formula or something? This on surface sounds like weight and fat has no correlation

It never drops similarly and those are just estimates. Congrats that you are moving in the right direction.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When losing weight your body will want to look at lean mass as an energy source.

1) lean mass can fuel your body
    2) your lean mass is economically more expensive than fat

Your body thinks theres a food shortage and needs to prepare for possible famine (as has been the human experience for 200,000 years). You have to give your body a reason to not drop lean mass since lean mass costs more calories daily than fat pound for pound. Tell your body you're a hunter who needs to chase down their prey to eat. How do you do that? High intensity exercise followed by food eating back the calories lost exercising. I am over simplifying things a bit... but its a lot easier to make sense of things if you completely ignore the last 200-300 years and focus on the logic your body has operated under for the last 200k years.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    The scale measurements of body fat aren't very reliable ... in that they may not even show a proper trend. So don't read too much into it.

Additionally, just 2 two weeks is really too soon to be seeing a real trend in body composition change. There does tend to be a "whoosh" at the beginning, whether water or something else. (Again, don't put too much credit into how much water the scale says you have).

To avoid being "skinny fat," stick with the lifting. I just started 5/3/1 and I love it! Also make sure you get plenty of protein. That will help you maintain your muscle mass as much as possible (though you will still lose some muscle).

Stick with it, you got this!
  • viren19890
    Options
    When losing weight your body will want to look at lean mass as an energy source.

1) lean mass can fuel your body
    2) your lean mass is economically more expensive than fat

Your body thinks theres a food shortage and needs to prepare for possible famine (as has been the human experience for 200,000 years). You have to give your body a reason to not drop lean mass since lean mass costs more calories daily than fat pound for pound. Tell your body you're a hunter who needs to chase down their prey to eat. How do you do that? High intensity exercise followed by food eating back the calories lost exercising. I am over simplifying things a bit... but its a lot easier to make sense of things if you completely ignore the last 200-300 years and focus on the logic your body has operated under for the last 200k years.

If I'm understanding you correctly -it means that body would rather burn fat than muscle -if we give it a reason to do so and the reason could be keeping protein high and keep lifting heavy weight -so muslce mass stays ?
  • viren19890
    Options

Thanks everyone for posting in- in past few days I've learned more than I've learned in last year or so lol and that too comes out was all wrong or was meant for steroid users. LOL I didn't even know that we will lose muscle along with fat when we cut-only steroid users are able to preserve muscle and get learner. What an eye opener that was lol
  • viren19890
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    The scale measurements of body fat aren't very reliable ... in that they may not even show a proper trend. So don't read too much into it.

Additionally, just 2 two weeks is really too soon to be seeing a real trend in body composition change. There does tend to be a "whoosh" at the beginning, whether water or something else. (Again, don't put too much credit into how much water the scale says you have).

To avoid being "skinny fat," stick with the lifting. I just started 5/3/1 and I love it! Also make sure you get plenty of protein. That will help you maintain your muscle mass as much as possible (though you will still lose some muscle).

Stick with it, you got this!

Been doing 5/3/1 since May 2015 -just ramped up the intensity right now lol
    It's a great program
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »

If I'm understanding you correctly -it means that body would rather burn fat than muscle -if we give it a reason to do so and the reason could be keeping protein high and keep lifting heavy weight -so muslce mass stays ?

Well, your body will always want to go after the lean mass during a sustained calorie deficit. But lifting heavy weights will tell the body you don't have much lean mass to spare (you need it). You will still probably lose *some* lean mass. Just less if you lift.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    27.8% of 230 is 64, 26.1% of 223.6 is 58. You lost 6 pounds. Aside from the inaccuracy of scales and whatnot, where's the problem?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pay much attention to some herabalife reps estimate of your body fat and I certainly wouldn't pay much attention to the reading from those home scales. Its just not accurate enough.
    Look into getting a bod pod test done if you want a more accurate reading.
    Otherwise don't sweat the small stuff. Keep on working towards your goal and don't get wrapped up in the numbers.