Advice for "Cheat Days"

Options
2»

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it 'cheating'. I know that if I deny myself the chance to once-in-a-while eat something I really like, I'll be discouraged. Once a month, I plan an 'eat whatever I'm craving' day. Funny story, though. Yesterday was my 'cheat' day and we went out for mochas (I love a good mocha!) and then to Indian food. I drank my whole mocha, but by the time dinner came around, I was so excited for Indian food! I was like, yah! Chicken tikka masala! Garlic Naan! Yeah! ... and then, well, I ate about six bites and felt completely satisfied. My "splurge" day cost me an extra 200 calories total. We brought home lots of leftovers. From now on, no more Indian food unless we can find another couple people to go with us to split dishes.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kiara1066 wrote: »
    It's probably temporarily the weight gain I would say it's the sodium you probably ate during the cheat day. I still count calories on the days I eat out because it's good to know the numbers for what you're eating. I had some Chinese yesterday and wrote the calories down. It had a lot of sodium, so I wasn't surprised today I gained 0.4 calories. It should fall off within the next few days

+1
  • napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a cheat day in over two weeks and today it hit me. I had two homemade smores and homemade Fajitas/rice/beans which wouldn't be too bad but I had already met my 1200 calories before dinner. I probably ended up hitting 1800 for the day. Oh well, as long as I stay focused the rest of the week I should be OK right? :)
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Have you considered eating what you want, but just in a normal portion size? I mean, I love tacos and I love pizza . . . but an entire pizza and a taco probably isn't a typical portion size for you. In my experience, it isn't the foods that I eat that make me feel terrible as much as it is the portion size.

So have a beer and a couple tacos. Or have a beer and some pizza. But you don't have to combine it all into one meal, you know?

I think this is one of the potential drawbacks of the "cheat day," that it encourages some people to fit everything into one day or meal instead of figuring out ways to make it work daily.

I'm going out to dinner tonight so I'm going to have pizza. I want to still hit my goal, so I planned my breakfast to be a little lighter and I'm going to have some salad with my pizza (because eating salad first helps me eat less pizza).

I agree with this 100%! I still eat everything I love, but I eat the right amount of it. I have pizza, A LOT because I LOVE it. But I have lost 10 pounds in the last month! Just make sure you're also getting in water fruits and veggies and you will be fine as long as you are logging your food accurately and staying under your goal. Feel free to add me as a friend, I have an open diary :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out any of the foods I love. For me, that would be a recipe to fail. I just eat them in moderation.

When I started (almost a year ago) I looked at what I could cut down on without feeling ripped off.

It started with my morning coffee. It used to be a double-double for a whopping 210 calories. For one mug of coffee. Before breakfast. I switched out the cream for 1/2 and 1/2. Did that for a week. Replaced one of the 2 sugars with a packet of Stevia. Did that for a week. Went from 1/2 and 1/2 down to light cream the next week. Then I replaced the other teaspoon of sugar with a second packet of Stevia. The result? In a month, my morning coffee went from 210 calories down to 53. That's a 75% reduction. Just in my morning coffee. And I still enjoy every drop!

I made small bunches of similar changes very gradually. I tried low calorie options of products I buy at the grocery store. Found some winners. Greek yogurt is the bomb. Found a bunch of total losers, too. Fat free cheese is just plain nasty.

tl;dr - Start small, make gradual changes, keep the foods you love - just eat less of them.

I'm down 75lbs in under a year and I haven't suffered. :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I don't do them. At least not intentionally. I have, however, employed the opposite of a cheat day with some success. By that I mean having a 1000 cal deficit one day/week. That's >half my weekly deficit goal. It gives me closer to maintenance for the rest of the week. It's kind of like 5:2 IF but one day vs. 2 and more calories.

I'll echo the question about whether 1200-1300 to too much deficit, unsustainable *for you.* FWIW, when I go off the reservation, it's when ive been eating too low *for me*.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out any of the foods I love. For me, that would be a recipe to fail. I just eat them in moderation.

When I started (almost a year ago) I looked at what I could cut down on without feeling ripped off.

It started with my morning coffee. It used to be a double-double for a whopping 210 calories. For one mug of coffee. Before breakfast. I switched out the cream for 1/2 and 1/2. Did that for a week. Replaced one of the 2 sugars with a packet of Stevia. Did that for a week. Went from 1/2 and 1/2 down to light cream the next week. Then I replaced the other teaspoon of sugar with a second packet of Stevia. The result? In a month, my morning coffee went from 210 calories down to 53. That's a 75% reduction. Just in my morning coffee. And I still enjoy every drop!

I made small bunches of similar changes very gradually. I tried low calorie options of products I buy at the grocery store. Found some winners. Greek yogurt is the bomb. Found a bunch of total losers, too. Fat free cheese is just plain nasty.

tl;dr - Start small, make gradual changes, keep the foods you love - just eat less of them.

I'm down 75lbs in under a year and I haven't suffered. :)

That is fabulous and way to go!!! You are doing it right
  • cattfield7
    cattfield7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One thing I am currently trying to do: on the weekends, when I know I tend mess up, I changed my settings to maintain. It was an extra 1000 calories!!! So I can eat more, I definitely feel like I'm splurging. But, I'm not undoing any of the work I've already done. Just staying put. I still log. Maybe something like that would work?

^^ this. I don't so much call it a cheat day, because I still track, I just eat at maintenance for a day. If I know I'm going out, or its a Saturday and I'm just sitting around the house wanting to eat! It gives me the extra calories that I'm craving without feeling like I've erased my weeks work.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    Zellyrus wrote: »
    I've been doing well for a few weeks now (1200-1300 calories, eating healthier, exercising daily, lost 5 lbs). Yesterday I had my first diet "cheat day", 2 days a month I have built into my schedule where I can go out to eat.

But man.........I wolfed down a giant beer, a taco, and entire large pizza for dinner. Felt terrible afterwards and gained back most of the weight I'd lost in the last few weeks.

I like having these days, especially since I am faithful to my diet all the other days. But it's like if I give myself an inch, all my self control is gone.

How do you all use cheat days (and if not, why not)? Should I still count calories on these days, but just increase my limit for that day?

As others have said, I don't get the "cheat day" concept. Some days I go over my calorie goal. I log it; I go on with my routine. Cheating who or what? Real life happens. I don't see any need for drama or angst over food. Life is too short.

If you lost 5 pounds before your "cheat day", and gained the same after it, it's almost certainly water weight (mostly). (I've gained that much in pure water weight in 24 hours, BTW, though it's rare - 2 or 3 pounds is not rare at all.) But to gain 5 actual pounds of real (not water) weight, you'd have to have eaten (roughly) 17,500 calories more than your maintenance calories. I'll bet you didn't.

Giant beer? Well, my pint of craft beer once a week or so usually clocks in around 300 calories (I like IPA). One big pizza chain's web site says a large meat lover's stuffed crust pizza is 3,440 calories. Highest calorie single taco I found in the MFP database before I got bored with looking was 565 calories. So, 300 + 3,440 + 565 = 4,305. Of course your actual details will differ, but this should be fairly close to a worst-case scenario, just for discussion purposes.

Let's assume you'd already eaten an entire 1300 calories that day before this meal(s), so 5,605 total calories for the day (4,305 + 1,300) . You're losing 1.5-2lbs/week, so your deficit is at least 750 calories/day. So, let's estimate your net daily maintenance calories at 1200 + 750 = 1950 at your current weight.

Therefore, your "cheat day" was 3,655 calories over maintenance (5,605 - 1950). That means a real weight gain on the order of 1 pound (1 pound = about 3,500 calories). The rest is likely water weight. To lose this cheat-day weight at your current deficit, it will take about 5 days (3,655 / 750 = 4.87). After that you'll start losing new weight again, if you stay on your current deficit. You'll probably see the water weight drop away by then, too, if not sooner.

This is how I think about over-goal days. It's just a story problem in arithmetic. If you choose, you can do this kind of arithmetic on your real data, to get a better estimate of the impact. There's no reason to feel guilty, panic, feel you've ruined everything, give up, or anything of the sort. Drama is optional (personally, I hate drama).

Was your cheat day worth a (roughly) 5 day delay in reaching your goal weight? Only you know the answer. Would you be less likely to go wildly over on cheat days - or less likely to want cheat days at all - if you increased your calorie goal (slowed your loss rate)? Only you can guess. Or experiment.

Personally, I log every single day. Sometimes I go over goal - occasionally by quite a lot. I try to reserve it for true special occasions. If it's extreme, I calculate the impact as above and decide whether it was worthwhile, and if not, I think about how to modify my behavior in the future. If I see an over day coming, I sometimes fit in extra workouts or cut 100 calories for a few days in advance, so I come out OK for the day or week despite the splurge. (I wouldn't cut much more below 1200, by the way - I'm currently at 0.5lb/week loss so I have more wiggle room). But if something comes up, and I go over, and I'm keeping it rare, I just get back on track without worrying about it.
  • Zellyrus
    Zellyrus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the math and the overall perspective.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If it's extreme, I calculate the impact as above and decide whether it was worthwhile, and if not, I think about how to modify my behavior in the future. If I see an over day coming, I sometimes fit in extra workouts or cut 100 calories for a few days in advance, so I come out OK for the day or week despite the splurge. (I wouldn't cut much more below 1200, by the way - I'm currently at 0.5lb/week loss so I have more wiggle room). But if something comes up, and I go over, and I'm keeping it rare, I just get back on track without worrying about it.

The idea of counting calories.....long term....is new for me. I tend to just think day by day (which is why I probably had so much drama from so many calories!) Glad I did have a bad cheat day though, so if nothing else I know what NOT to do!

I think I'm going to have to avoid beer personally, if only because I get drinking munchies like crazy.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    If it's extreme, I calculate the impact as above and decide whether it was worthwhile, and if not, I think about how to modify my behavior in the future. If I see an over day coming, I sometimes fit in extra workouts or cut 100 calories for a few days in advance, so I come out OK for the day or week despite the splurge. (I wouldn't cut much more below 1200, by the way - I'm currently at 0.5lb/week loss so I have more wiggle room). But if something comes up, and I go over, and I'm keeping it rare, I just get back on track without worrying about it.

The idea of counting calories.....long term....is new for me. I tend to just think day by day (which is why I probably had so much drama from so many calories!) Glad I did have a bad cheat day though, so if nothing else I know what NOT to do!

I think I'm going to have to avoid beer personally, if only because I get drinking munchies like crazy.

Cutting something out of your diet for a while is fine if you recognize that the particular item is currently an issue for you. But if you're thinking more along the lines that this is a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet, in the long term it's better to re-introduce that item into your repertoire at some point and learn to deal with it in the context of your overall nutrition unless you're willing to give it up forever. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options

Cutting something out of your diet for a while is fine if you recognize that the particular item is currently an issue for you. But if you're thinking more along the lines that this is a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet, in the long term it's better to re-introduce that item into your repertoire at some point and learn to deal with it in the context of your overall nutrition unless you're willing to give it up forever. :)

Ohso +1 to that!
  • camdoyle8906
    camdoyle8906 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I say have fun. Go get that beer and taco. Just don't lose yourself. It's an easy thing to do
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of great feedback on here! The best thing you can do is find out by trial and error what works for you. An entire day of cheating? A singular meal? or just work in smaller portions whenever the craving hits?

First, don't think of it as cheating, just think of it as being slightly less strict on yourself. Either workout extra to account for the calorie bomb, eat at a bigger deficit in the day, or account for your splurge during your week.

I don't like "cheat" days, I feel like I'm undoing the hardwork I did during the week, and that's not worth it to me.

Personally, having small tastes here and there scratches my craving itch enough to still order a salad while out with my friends. I'm content with snagging a fry here and there and just remind myself I know what it tastes like as I've had millions before. Sometimes after a particularly hard week, I find myself steering towards extra chocolates - I let myself in moderation. Put the box away and go do something else to stop from wanting more.

For me, my end goal is more important than the immediate satisfaction, so it's easy for me to say no to high calorie foods at least for the time being. The more into a workout plan I get, the less I feel the need to eat the foods I used to before. My relationship with food has definitely changed. Now, I see it as something to refuel my body, not an emotional fulfilling comfort.

• harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Best advice for cheat days is to have them everyday. Thank me later.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My wife and I are in this thing together so we look forward to our Bonus Meal. It's always a meal out so no one cooks or cleans and we alternate who picks the place. I like BBQ and she is all Mexican all the time! We thus avoid the counter-productive "I'll never be able to eat that again" whine. After a week of mindful, healthy eating that one meal is a treat for us both. No take home, no left overs. Done is done.

Our home is a safe zone with no trigger foods. If a former safe food (can eat in moderation) becomes a trigger food (must consume entire package) then it goes.

I usually try to log as best I can, I'm not sure what wife does, she's on Weight Watchers.

Of course you haven't actually gained anything fat or otherwise. Your body can't manufacture tissue that fast. It's the combination of water and the physical weight of the food working its way through your digestive tract.

If you really feel you have "cheated" and that sets off a cascade of more "cheating" then it's not working for you. One relaxing meal of ANYTHING is not gonna make you fat. You can use that bloated feeling for good if you can remember what it feels like and try to order a medium pizza, one taco, one beer, telling yourself I can have more if I want it.