Should you REALLY eat in the morning before a workout?

Options
ThatFitChick20
ThatFitChick20 Posts: 13 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I've read numerous times in numerous places of the importance of eating within an hour of waking up....BUT I've also heard that working out on an empty stomach is the way to go. So what is it really?? I weight train and do cardio in a day. So should I fuel up before the workout or hold off and burn the stored fat?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is no magic to eating within an hour of waking up.

There is no magic to fasted training.

You should make the decision based on how you feel when you exercise without eating (do you feel you can work harder on an empty stomach or do you feel like you need some food?).
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I never wake up and eat. It's about preference. There's not enough science to back either of the theories you've mentioned above.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When you eat in relation to exercise makes no difference in weight loss.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    not important. eat when you want.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    There is no magic to eating within an hour of waking up.

There is no magic to fasted training.

You should make the decision based on how you feel when you exercise without eating (do you feel you can work harder on an empty stomach or do you feel like you need some food?).

This!
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you're doing cardio, I suggest empty stomach. I've burned more fat this way. If you're lifting weights, eat so that you have the energy to lift and available nutrients to build muscle.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    there is some new research coming out that shows women and men burn fat differently, so women do better if they eat a small meal before working out, and men after, but it's probably negligible and up to you how you feel.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Consume a Whey Isolate Protein drink with addition BCAA's. Do NOT consume Carbs or Fats, because you want to burn fat while preserving muscle.
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'd probably barf if I ate before my morning workout! It just comes down to personal preference.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    there is some new research coming out that shows women and men burn fat differently, so women do better if they eat a small meal before working out, and men after, but it's probably negligible and up to you how you feel.

Watched BBC's Trust Me I'm A Doctor the other week and they tested two groups of people for this and came to the same conclusion - that women should work out after eating and men before.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited January 2016
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

Watched BBC's Trust Me I'm A Doctor the other week and they tested two groups of people for this and came to the same conclusion - that women should work out after eating and men before.

I have yet to see 24 hr partition data research that suggest that this is true. Or even significant.
  • TrickyDisco
    Options
    I always work out after eating something and have done for years, just feel better doing it that way. As girlinahat said, it's up to you how you feel. Was an interesting prog tho, also concluded protein shakes and energy drinks were a complete waste of time/money, not that I'd waste money on either of them anyway.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I always work out after eating something and have done for years, just feel better doing it that way. As girlinahat said, it's up to you how you feel. Was an interesting prog tho, also concluded protein shakes and energy drinks were a complete waste of time/money, not that I'd waste money on either of them anyway.

Again - depends. Energy drinks for a cyclist hitting a wall can significantly help during training or an event. Protein shakes might help meet a protein goal without excessive extra calories. Context matters, they aren't a waste to all people at all times.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing two hours plus of intense exercise then no need to fuel up. Personal preference.

The fuel source(s) you use during exercise are really determined much more by the exercise intensity than whether you have just eaten.
    For weight loss/fat loss the fuel used during the exercise itself is virtually irrelevant.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    If you're doing cardio, I suggest empty stomach. I've burned more fat this way.
    Curious as to how you would know this.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'd probably barf if I ate before my morning workout! It just comes down to personal preference.

Same here. I go on a empty stomach otherwise nausea sets in.
  • TrickyDisco
    Options
    Thanks for 'educating' me there ... never knew context mattered. :)
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    What if I wake up in the afternoon because I work at night?

Point being: there's no magic time to eat. Eat when you're hungry.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    For me it was a bit of trial and error to figure this out. If I am doing a light work out, like just walking or walking and doing some easy weights, I was fine to eat after. But the days I am running or doing intense cardio and strength training, I have to eat something and have it in me at least a half hour before my work out. For me, this means getting up and eating at 4am on those intense days. Early, I know, but if I don't eat; I won't make it through the whole work out with out shaking and nausea setting in. Try out a couple work outs and see what works for you. IF you are shaky during work out, just try something light before the next work out. A half a cup of yogurt, or a handful of nuts,or a banana...whatever is going to work for you.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Thanks for 'educating' me there ... never knew context mattered. :)

Passive aggressive notes? If you believe otherwise go ahead and state it.

Your post that says energy drinks or protein supplementation are a waste of time/money is a pretty poor general statement. Protein supplementation can be part of a variety of dietary strategies - for weight lifters, for PSMF for people that feed on Soylent. And cost-wise it is sometimes more cost efficient (and easier to use) that straight meals. Is it needed for weight loss? Nope. But people don't use them solely for that.