I like my coffee like I like my men... less than I used to.

Options
I have slowly lessened how much creamer and sugar I put into my coffee every day, because it just seemed like a lot of wasted calories and I'm a "go over your sugar goal" superstar. I never could drink black coffee before, but that's where I'm at now. I find it tolerable. Hopefully I get used to that, or figure out how to change my life around to arrange for more sleep!

What corners are you cutting? Which ones ended up being really great? Which ones are you still struggling with?

Replies

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I want to give you 5 gold stars for the title of your thread!
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    haha Thanks! I'll take them. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You can prise my coffee from my cold dead hands

Feel free to extrapolate that :bigsmile:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »

Ha, agreed.

There are lots of things I found aren't "worth it" for me. I also cut out creamer from my coffee. I now use sweetener and spices to flavor my coffee; I LOVE it. It was kind of meh when I bought flavored coffee and used just sweetener, but adding chai type spices, and you can't pry it out of my hands! I just add cardamom seeds, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a peppercorn or two to the grounds then brew (I actually use a french press). So good!

Some other things that just aren't worth it to me: dry cereals (serving size is so sad for the amount of calories), sandwich bread (I prefer a good quality bread less frequently), milk (wasn't a huge fan, so I reassign those calories elsewhere), pasta (wasn't the hugest fan, and I prefer the sauces anyways, so I'll make the sauce thicker and add tons of veggies or make veggie noodles), etc.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry for being a man in this thread.

Funny story though: I never drank coffee before visiting this site. Now 90% of my friends list drinks it (I think. Survey is not complete yet). So naturally, peer pressure led me to try it. Since I'm trying to cut weight, I refrained from ever putting anything in it and so black is the only way I've ever had it. I have a cup every morning now and it's enjoyable. Thankfully, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything because I don't know any better.

Ignorance is bliss :)

I cut corners with pizza though. Instead of meat-lovers, I get supreme or veggie-lovers since all of that meat is pretty caloric.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i love my coffee black. like my metal
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I have slowly lessened how much creamer and sugar I put into my coffee every day, because it just seemed like a lot of wasted calories and I'm a "go over your sugar goal" superstar. I never could drink black coffee before, but that's where I'm at now. I find it tolerable. Hopefully I get used to that, or figure out how to change my life around to arrange for more sleep!

What corners are you cutting? Which ones ended up being really great? Which ones are you still struggling with?

But what about how you take your men now? What ways has that changed?
  • TheChrissyT
    Options
    I'm sorry for being a man in this thread.

Funny story though: I never drank coffee before visiting this site. Now 90% of my friends list drinks it (I think. Survey is not complete yet). So naturally, peer pressure led me to try it. Since I'm trying to cut weight, I refrained from ever putting anything in it and so black is the only way I've ever had it. I have a cup every morning now and it's enjoyable. Thankfully, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything because I don't know any better.

Ignorance is bliss :)

I cut corners with pizza though. Instead of meat-lovers, I get supreme or veggie-lovers since all of that meat is pretty caloric.

How much difference does that make? I've never looked into it. Usually when I'm eating pizza it's because I'm out with friends or on a date or whatever, so I'm usually off the rails on the crazy train by then anyway.

This isn't actually a man hating thread, I still love coffee... just like a brother. :P
  • TheChrissyT
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You can prise my coffee from my cold dead hands

Feel free to extrapolate that :bigsmile:

This made me smile <3
  • TheChrissyT
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Ha, agreed.

There are lots of things I found aren't "worth it" for me. I also cut out creamer from my coffee. I now use sweetener and spices to flavor my coffee; I LOVE it. It was kind of meh when I bought flavored coffee and used just sweetener, but adding chai type spices, and you can't pry it out of my hands! I just add cardamom seeds, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a peppercorn or two to the grounds then brew (I actually use a french press). So good!

Some other things that just aren't worth it to me: dry cereals (serving size is so sad for the amount of calories), sandwich bread (I prefer a good quality bread less frequently), milk (wasn't a huge fan, so I reassign those calories elsewhere), pasta (wasn't the hugest fan, and I prefer the sauces anyways, so I'll make the sauce thicker and add tons of veggies or make veggie noodles), etc.

I've never tried adding anything like that. I should! That sounds really good!

I never eat dry cereals, but I did the other day because I was looking at the nutrients reports on my page and I felt like I'm not meeting anything and then I read somewhere that you maybe should for the iron? But that seems counter to most of what I've read about them.... so long story short... idk what the heck I'm doing.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was such a die hard coffee fan. I would have two grande Caramel Macchiatos a day (upwards of 700 calories total) and three well known brand Mocha sachets with milk (approx 100 cals each) so yeah around a 1000 calories a day on coffee. I gave up the Macchiatos and the Mochas and opted for Americanos or freshly brewed coffee at home. Luckily I could drink my coffee anyway it came. Then, to my absolute horror coffee gave me up about 8 months ago. It bloated me and just made me feel rough so stopped having it. I adore the smell and I try it now and again hoping that it'll take me back but no such luck as yet :D
    This was my main corner cutting but on the back of that I don't have regular milk anymore, I have almond milk instead.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Replacing all my hamburger buns with mushroom caps and not even missing them, saves me around 150 calories each time!
    Discovered Halo Top ice cream which has saved me thousands of calories so far with ice cream
    Discovered ThinSlim Foods and Linda's Diet DeLites which has helped with my bread and dessert cravings, plus added a ton of fiber into my diet
    Protein powder = bye bye milkshake cravings!

However, I'm still struggling with Eggs Benedict (I'm in love with Hollandaise Sauce), fudge, homemade ice cream when my parents make it (especially since I have no idea how many calories it has), and pancakes when eating out. I make great protein pancakes at home, but darn it take me to IHOP and Bob Evans and those four stacks just stare me right in the face and did I mention Bob Evans has the best cinnamon supreme hotcakes? o///o

Edit: Also Chinese food. Definitely Chinese food. I'll happily order wonton soup, but I'm very salt sensitive and it still causes me pain. Plus, there's only so much wonton soup I can take before giving into shrimp lomein, general tso's chicken, and shrimp toast!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Yep!!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »

Edit: Also Chinese food. Definitely Chinese food. I'll happily order wonton soup, but I'm very salt sensitive and it still causes me pain. Plus, there's only so much wonton soup I can take before giving into shrimp lomein, general tso's chicken, and shrimp toast!

Chinese food has always been my go to for 20 years when I don't want to cook and want something healthy. Plain steamed protein and veggies (any of them) and they serve sauce on the side.
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I still use half and half, but there was a time when I eliminated it. Adding ground ginger or tumeric gives it a little flare.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Thanks for the laugh! I use xylitol in my coffee, occasionally stevia (but not crazy about the taste) and whole milk (an oz is 17 calories),
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I used to have milk and sugar in my coffee, but...after spending 4 months in Europe, I have been spoiled for coffee. I came back with an italian stovetop espresso and now get fresh quality beans. And I drink my espresso black.

If I'm stuck with drip coffee, I'm putting creamer.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I no longer drink whole milk. Got use to 2% and they work really well with anything. I don't like the taste of black coffee so I always need to add something to it. Light, unsweetened soy milk is a good low-cal replacement to 2%, otherwise I use slightly sweetened cocoa powder to make my coffee more enjoyable.
    I was born and raised in the birth place of bubble tea and could enjoy the luxury of drinking 2 cups per day (500 mL). Since those are so calorie-dense and I moved to the States, I can't really drink it as often and conveniently with the same price (it's about USD$0.9-1.6 per 500 mL over there). This spacial (and financial) separation really spares me a big portion of my calorie budget.

Btw, now I know how to make the tapioca, so it's like I have unlimited supplies in my kitchen but I'm too lazy to make them myself..., which is good ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

12538335-Five-gold-stars-isolated-on-white-background-Stock-Photo-star.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »

Going to drop this here because it's an awesome recipe (may still cause you some salt issues, so maybe you can make some tweaks to it): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10306894/general-tso-chicken-236-calories#latest