Sugar

Options
No matter what I eat, at the end of the day, I am usually over in the sugar category. I don't eat sweets, but it seems like my amount of sugar I need for the day is low....45. Like this morning, I had a fiber one bar and a banana. That is already 10 sugars. Does it hurt to go over in the sugar much and be ok in the rest. My calories are always under the amount I need.

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    As long as you're under your calorie goal, you should be ok. I don't even track my sugar intake and I still have lost weight.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have a medical reason to watch sugar intake you're fine.
  • jayjay_90
    jayjay_90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a specific medical reason to stay away from sugar, you really don't need to worry about it. I pretty much never look at my sugar intake and I'm losing weight steadily as expected :smile:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Like @strong_curves , I don't track my sugar intake. I do keep an eye on overall carbohydrates (sugar is a carb) and the other macros, but as long as you are under your calorie goal, you will lose weight.

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you go over in your sugars, unless you have a health issue that requires it to be low.
    45 grams is not a lot. Most kids juice boxes have about 20 grams of sugar in them....just to give you an idea. Fruit has a lot of sugar in it too, and it's actually good for you.
  • Afw94
    Afw94 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Unless it's for a medical reason don't worry about it, it won't affect your weight loss so long as your calories are where you want them.
  • avonlady51
    avonlady51 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it is just listed on my food page and so of course I see sugar total in red. Can I take the sugar off that page.
  • avonlady51
    avonlady51 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I figured out how to take sugar off of my page. I just went to settings and changed it to something else. Thanks everyone for the information!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    avonlady51 wrote: »
    No matter what I eat, at the end of the day, I am usually over in the sugar category. I don't eat sweets, but it seems like my amount of sugar I need for the day is low....45. Like this morning, I had a fiber one bar and a banana. That is already 10 sugars. Does it hurt to go over in the sugar much and be ok in the rest. My calories are always under the amount I need.

swap it out for fibre tracking
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    avonlady51 wrote: »
    I figured out how to take sugar off of my page. I just went to settings and changed it to something else. Thanks everyone for the information!

I see you did

good-oh :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Too funny! You don't NEED sugar!! Cut it out! Keep carbs under 100/day. ;)
  • pedroepaz
    pedroepaz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    While sugar might not affect weight loss at a caloric deficit, it will inhibit fat loss. Insulin spikes keep you from achieving fat loss. I don't state this as universal since some are more carbohydrate/sugar tolerant than others. However, personally I have found with my weight fluctuations to be quite sensitive. Once cutting it out and dropping total net carbohydrates to below 30 grams. The experience was a total body recomposition. Check out documentaries such as Fed Up and That Sugar Film. Just my two cents though, I'm not a doctor.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    pedroepaz wrote: »
    While sugar might not affect weight loss at a caloric deficit, it will inhibit fat loss. Insulin spikes keep you from achieving fat loss. I don't state this as universal since some are more carbohydrate/sugar tolerant than others. However, personally I have found with my weight fluctuations to be quite sensitive. Once cutting it out and dropping total net carbohydrates to below 30 grams. The experience was a total body recomposition. Check out documentaries such as Fed Up and That Sugar Film. Just my two cents though, I'm not a doctor.

Nope on all accounts.
  • pedroepaz
    Options

Nope on all accounts.

Nope as in what I stated? Or as in sugar consumption?

• stevencloser
    Options
    It doesn't inhibit fat loss. And no one should check out those documentaries.
  • pedroepaz
    Options
    As I stated personally, I was 316 lbs and dropped down to 175lbs consuming it. As I fluctuated I have gone down to 173 lbs on a ketogenic diet. My health and blood markers are better than ever. If you research the science between insulin and fat metabolism, maybe you'd learn otherwise. Obviously, you have to replace the sugar with fat. Your body transitions from utilizing glucose for energy, to fat for energy. Read The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. Or, you can just keep eating sugar. Like I said, it's just my personal experience. I'm not a doctor. I just like to research everything very extensively. And no one thing is universal, I know many people who can achieve great results consuming carbs/sugar.

• stevencloser
    Options
    https://bretcontreras.com/sugar-the-sweet-truth/ (thanks wetcoaster! man people are posting lots of good links today)

Relying on documentaries by people trying to sell you their weight loss books is not going to do you any good.

Going keto does absolutely nada to your body composition compared to not doing it.
    Insulin is required by your body for storing carbs and protein. Fat though doesn't need it, because it's already fat. Your body can store it just fine without insulin.
    Same the other way around. Whether you eat carbs or not, if you're in a deficit your body has no other choice than to use fat for fuel to keep you alive.

Another one for good measure.
    http://itarget.com.br/newclients/sbgg.com.br/informativos/14-09-15/1.pdf
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As I stated personally, I was 316 lbs and dropped down to 175lbs consuming it. As I fluctuated I have gone down to 173 lbs on a ketogenic diet.

How does this support what you claimed--that sugar (and all carbs) inhibit fat loss?

It's not physically possible; how would that work? The claim is that your body is somehow able to run on no fuel if you eat sugar, even while eating fewer calories than you burn. Your body makes up the deficit with what in this scenario? It makes no sense.

IMO, it's likely a misunderstanding of the fact that your body is always burning and adding fat and that it may store fat without adding net fat. It also ignores that fact that fat you eat will of course be stored as fat (if not burned) and that carbs get stored as fat only if your glycogen stores are full (which is unlikely if you are eating at a deficit). These types of claims also seem to assume that only people in ketosis burn fat for energy, and that is not true, we burn a combination depending on what we are doing (for high intensity energy you will use glycogen, as it is much more efficient a source). But as with the arguments about fasted workouts or staying in the "fat burning zone" (sigh) none of it matters, what matters is whether you are net adding or net burning fat, and that depending on total energy used vs. supplied. Or, in other words, CICO.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Persistently high insulin inhibits fat loss, but that goes away in the absence of food especially carbs.
  • pedroepaz
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In its totality, what I meant was that eating sugar and carbs left me at 175 with a skinny fat frame. Same exercise as eating a ketogenic diet. Now however, I am 173 with way lower body fat levels. Like I said, this is NOT universal. Many people handle carbohydrates better than I do. I utilize fat way more efficiently than I do carbs. I'm not here to debate, either. I said it was my two cents and that I wasn't a doctor. I was sharing my experience. No one has to agree with me. It's simply food for thought.