Are "diet" sodas really bad

Options
14567810»

Replies

• rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a difference since ditching the diet Pepsi. Try some flavoured whey protein for a drink.
    I think because it is soooo sweet, it makes you succeptible to eating other sweets.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    rwhyte12 wrote: »
    I've noticed a difference since ditching the diet Pepsi. Try some flavoured whey protein for a drink.
    I think because it is soooo sweet, it makes you succeptible to eating other sweets.

You're aware that flavored whey protein has sugars and/or artificial sweeteners in it, right? And that a whey protein shake is going to be around 120-180 calories (or more, depending on which brand) as opposed to a Diet Pepsi which is 0 calories? Replace your Diet Pepsi with whey protein shakes and you'll have a much easier time hitting your protein macro, but you're also going to be taking in a lot more calories.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    rwhyte12 wrote: »

^lol^
    Protein is full of artificial sweeteners and about 200cals as well!! And in my experience its way more sweeter than any diet soda! In fact most proteins I find too sweet and that's not sugar that's doing that it's too much artificial sweetener! BTW I drink Pepsi max daily.....I love it!! And I hate soft drink it's also way too sweet!
  • nikkilovessweets
    nikkilovessweets Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I personally do not drink soda-not even on occasion. If you're looking to drink something sweet, I suggest a green smoothie
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm erring on the side of caution and avoiding artificial sweeteners as much as I possibly can. Especially so, because people defend their decision to drink this stuff like they are arguing against selling their first born child.
    If there was indeed such a thing as food addiction, from what I've read on here diet soda would rank highly on the list..

ETA: I've never drunk a diet soda in my life, not once. Which could be why I'm having problems understanding some peoples tight grip on this substance.

WUT?

No, I'm 'defending' (aka, talking about calories and stuff) even though I DON'T drink soda (I have maybe a couple of glasses per year or so). I don't particularly like the taste of AS but don't consider them dangerous.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Especially so, because people defend their decision to drink this stuff like they are arguing against selling their first born child.
    If there was indeed such a thing as food addiction, from what I've read on here diet soda would rank highly on the list..

I'll just leave this here. Has zero to do with what anyone agrees with.

I said that because these threads always get so out of control and sometimes plain nasty. I usually stay out of them because I know my "opinion" on the matter is frowned upon.
    I guess I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape on this one topic. If someone chooses not to consume aspartame it doesn't make them an evil stupid person, just like it doesn't for the people who do have it.

Think of the title of the discussion here, though. What would you prefer to read in a discussion called "is diet soda really that bad"?

- "Diet soda causes cravings and weight gain"
    - "Oh, no problem! So long as that's your opinion!!"

Would that make a bit more sense?

Personally, I guess I was a bit taken aback by your comments because I was suddenly no longer sure if we were talking about a food item I could get from the grocery store or vending machine near my desk at work, OR some "addictive substance" I was snorting up my nose
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Are diet sodas really bad?

Rather than labeling a food or drink "good" or "bad", I prefer to look at health risks vs. benefits or calories spent vs. nutrition gained.

In the case of regular sodas, there is a large calorie cost due to the heavy sugar load (nearly 10% of my calorie budget for just one 12 oz can) with virtually no gain in nutrition. So I say 'no' to sugary sodas. Most juices also have a heavy sugar load but counter that with some nutritional benefit. I can get most of the same nutritional benefit from a multi-vitamin without the calorie cost, so I also say 'no' to juices.

In the case of diet sodas, there is little to no hit on my calorie budget to balance little to no gain in nutrition. So we move the health risk vs. benefits. So far the anti-'artificial chemical' line hasn't been convincing. At best, all the carbonated drinks appear to pose some risk to those who suffer from most types of kidney stones by increasing the acidity of their urine. In my case, I do get calcium oxalate kidney stones. I have suffered through two in the last twenty-five years, and I'm probably due for a third sometime in the next five years. However, the risk to me of a kidney stone once every ten years does not outweigh the benefit to me on having my daily carbonated diet beverage of choice. YMMV.

In the case of drinking water. It has been mentioned that there are nearly as many 'artificial chemicals' in drink water as in diet sodas. I'm recently retired, after 31 years, from a drinking water plant in the mid-west USA where I was employed as a Senior Drinking Water Analyst, and I'll have to say... Yup, probably so. No calories vs. no nutrition so we move to risk vs. benefits. Of the many chemicals added to process drinking water, two questionable ones come to mind. Fluoride and the disinfection family of chemicals; Chlorine, Chloroamines, and Ozone. Take Fluoride first.

The move to fluoridate drinking water in my city was a public driven one. The citizens approved the measure to take whatever risk fluoridation might pose to gain the benefit in fighting tooth decay. Next comes the disinfectants.

The benefits of disinfecting drinking water is to inactivate harmful pathogens. This prevents many water borne disease, such as typhoid and diphtheria to name just two, which have ravage communities for centuries. The risks are that disinfection also react with naturally occurring precursors found in surface waters to form disinfection byproducts (DBPs), nearly all of which are carcinogenic. However the benefit of not dying tomorrow of typhoid outweighs the risk of developing a bladder cancer when one is in their 70's.

Wait! You only drink bottled water? Sorry. Most bottle water sources are the city tap, run through a carbon filter to remove chlorine and any taste and/or odor causing 'chemicals', ozonated before bottling in mostly plastic bottles. Carbon filters do not remove DBPs formed in the city's process and then you have more DBPs created by the ozone and additional 'chemicals' coming from the plasticizers inside the bottle. While I do occasionally buy bottled water, normally I dump the water out and then refill the bottle from my tap. I reuse the same bottle until the plastic walls crack from use and start leaking.

For myself, I drink diet soda occasionally and try for 2 liters of tap water every day.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Do you ever drink water? Could you try one glass a day?

Hmmm she never said she didn't drink water.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Everybody keeps telling me "if you keep chugging those sodas you'll never lose weight" I don't understand, they are the ZERO calorie sodas, ZERO sugar ZERO Calories. Is there something about the carbonation that makes it bad?

Sodas and Wine are my 2 absolute worst enemies.. I love them both, I have cut down on the wine and when I do have a glass I cut it with V8 splash so I still have my wine and not the calories

I changed from Regular sodas (COKE) to the ZERO version.. but keep hearing negatives..can someone explain this

Yikes...wine with V8 sounds like an atrocity :)
    In all seriousness...you're fine. I drink diet Coke a lot and its never been an issue for me in terms of weight.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    @d_thomas02 , that was an extremely interesting read! I will now and forever look at my faucet with a healthy level of respect and suspicion >:) Good stuff
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't exactly say they are healthy, but I drink 1 can of diet coke a day and it doesn't affect my weight. I've had people tell me time and time again that I need to just STOP drinking it because it's bad. I'm like, "well that pack a day you smoke ain't exactly gonna keep you living until you are 100 either, huh?.

What I figure it I really like that Diet Coke a day. And if it knocks off a few years of my life, so what...maybe it will save me from dementia.
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    WOW 191 posts, who knew this would be such a HOT BUTTON
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    WOW 191 posts, who knew this would be such a HOT BUTTON

Anyone who has been on the forums for more than a week I would say.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    hee hee, yeah i just recently joined so didn't expect it to get sooo much attention
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There are a few hot topics on this board that come up weekly where science can't overcome all the woo people believe. This is one of them.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    for those who have suggested "just drink more water"... i really don't like water,(yes I know, I really should try to drink some water) but hey, my coffee is made with water, sodas, made with water, wine made with water, so maybe I'll just put an ice cube in my cokes hee hee :)
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Get some mineral water (or whatever non-carbonated water is called) and liquid stevia. Bam, healthy soda. Liquid stevia comes in many flavors like root beer, orange, grape.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    for those who have suggested "just drink more water"... i really don't like water,(yes I know, I really should try to drink some water) but hey, my coffee is made with water, sodas, made with water, wine made with water, so maybe I'll just put an ice cube in my cokes hee hee :)

You can add Mio to water or crystal light.