Sheddin' for the Weddin'

Options

Replies

• SherriLynnLeeman
    SherriLynnLeeman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations! Fellow bride here, I'm getting married in MARCH! Eeeeek! I'll say this.. I ended up buying a sample size dress that was 2 sizes too big (wedding dress sizes are completely messed up anyways...) and my seamstress ended up cutting the dress down about SIX sizes. So.. It's doable! I'm about 47 lbs down now in about 5 months and I've got another 58ish days to shed the last 10ish lbs. It's tough but I've never felt better than when my seamstress was pinning my dress smaller and smaller. The pay off is worth it! Try to remember to cut yourself a little slack as well... You're getting married! That's the most important thing. At the end of the day you're going to remember how you FELT that day, not what your dress looked like. Good luck on your journey!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Why not just buy a dress that fits?

thats what i say every single time this subject comes up.

its much easier to take a dress in if you lose weight, than torture yourself with sometimes unrealistic goals.

but what do i know....

*nod nod* I agree.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

its much easier to take a dress in if you lose weight, than torture yourself with sometimes unrealistic goals.

but what do i know....

When I was measured for my dress, I was in between two sizes, but closer to the smaller size. One inch off in the waist. I ordered the smaller one because it was closer to my size everywhere else. But then again...I'm only talking an inch, and I have until June. Easy peasy.

OP, maybe you've failed so many times because you keep trying fad diets. Have you tried the "eat food you like, but a little less" diet? If not, give it a shot.
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think if you are planning on losing a lot of weight, you should probably wait until closer to the wedding to buy a dress. I think it only takes about a month to get the dress after ordering it-- am I correct? It's been 13 years since I got married.

But it would suck majorly if you got a dress and then weren't able to fit into it.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    20lbd by October is very doable! I'm getting married next month and have been monitoring my calories very closely to help lose a few extra pounds! Good luck on your journey you can do it!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    larali1980 wrote: »
    I think if you are planning on losing a lot of weight, you should probably wait until closer to the wedding to buy a dress. I think it only takes about a month to get the dress after ordering it-- am I correct? It's been 13 years since I got married.

But it would suck majorly if you got a dress and then weren't able to fit into it.

I ordered my dress in December, and it won't be finished until May. 5-6 months is more like it nowadays.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I rented my dress. Waaay cheaper but it was hard to give it back!
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options

A lot of designers now can take up to 8 months, it is best to get it sooner rather than later. I personally was fortunate to get the sample gown, but I was fully prepared to have to order it.
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I ordered my dress in December, and it won't be finished until May. 5-6 months is more like it nowadays.

Oh gosh, that does make things difficult.

Congrats to the ladies getting married :) What a fun time and I hope you reach your goals!
  • sydneywestra13
    sydneywestra13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting married but I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding this November. I wanna lose 50-60 pounds by then. I refuse to be the fat bridesmaid again! Here for support I've done the same thing I think I've failed on at least 12 diets
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

Oh gosh, that does make things difficult.

Congrats to the ladies getting married :) What a fun time and I hope you reach your goals!

my condolences to those getting married.

oh thats probably not the response they want......

;)

but its true :P

and buy a dress that fits.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not getting married but I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding this November. I wanna lose 50-60 pounds by then. I refuse to be the fat bridesmaid again! Here for support I've done the same thing I think I've failed on at least 12 diets

I've just started listening to The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person which I got as an audio book from my library. It uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy techniques to end the consecutive failing at diets. I'm familiar with CBT from when I succeeded in ending my heavy drinking and have been using it with food as well.

"Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach."
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Do you know women? @DavPul :bigsmile:

After 33 years of marriage? Of course not!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    My wedding is in 7 months and my dress is hanging in the closet. It fits now and I haven't had it tailored yet, so I'm still losing weight with the intention of leveling off once it's been fitted to me. I'm relieved that I bought a dress that fits but I know that I'll significantly prefer how I look once more kgs are gone. I'm aiming for a more pronounced hour-glass shape (my gown is a sheath style and quite slinky) and more arm definition. If my butt sticks out a little more that won't hurt either ;)
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So what are you going to do if you don't hit your goal and can't fit into your dress? Just asking.

but what do i know....
    Same here, I do not understand that thought process. Just purchase a bigger dress or your current size and have it taken in. I honestly don't get it.

• x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    So what are you going to do if you don't hit your goal and can't fit into your dress? Just asking.

but what do i know....
    Same here, I do not understand that thought process. Just purchase a bigger dress or your current size and have it taken in. I honestly don't get it.

I bought a dress that was too small because it was on super sale. The only thing is, my seamstress made magic out of 1.5 yards of satin from the craft store and made a corset backing (which I wanted anyway) and shoulder straps (let's face it, hiking up the strapless dress all night looks stupid as h*ll. I didn't lose the weight I needed, but my dress fit PERFECT. If it's CLOSE to fitting (which mine was, but the back was mostly open due to boobage issues) then plan B backup is find a good and quick seamstress in the area. Mine turned my dress around in 15 days.

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Then I'd recommend no more diets. Instead... Eat the foods you like, track the food you eat, and keep a mild deficit.

If you can exercise, even better.

It doesn't have to be hell in order to work !
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Do you know women? @DavPul :bigsmile:

After 33 years of marriage? Of course not!

You've been married to Dav for 33 years?
    Does he know?
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have ordered my dress in august, and ordered it half a size up as I was in between sizes and did not want to stress. Lost some weight, or at least quite some inches since then, and it's arriving today - so I am very curious to see how it will fit and how much I will have to take it in! But it is nice to not have the stress of fitting into it. That said, 30 lbs between now and october is doable - just make sure you take an approach that you can stick with. Overall calorie deficit is way more effective long term than an overly restrictive diet.
  • emkrichardson
    emkrichardson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There is a little room to let out the material, and it does fit, it's just a little snug. And that was trying it on without any slimmers underneath. My worry is that they'd have to take it in a lot more if I ordered a size bigger and then lost some weight. I'd only need to lose maybe 20 lbs to have it fit a little looser.