NEED TO LOSE 100 LBS OR MORE !

Options

Replies

• naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @morgori- Thanks for the emoticons!!! :bigsmile: You are a scholar and a gentleman! I was tempted by the turkey legs.. but they were $9!!! (probably better for my girlish figure that I stuck with the sandwich I brought) :laugh: Your farmer's market haul looks terrifically tasty! (did I just make up a word?)

@Christine - I may have to check out Dr. Daniel Amen's book... "Change Your Brain, Change Your Body" sounds like my kind of book. Right now I'm reading Michelle Schoffro Cook's "The Brain Wash". (Powerful, All-Natural Program to Protect Your Brain Against Alzheimer's, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Depression, Parkinson's, and Other Diseases).
    I was not even thinking of how bad that turkey leg might be for you:blushing: I was just thinking of the image of an old King chomping on a leg. I think from the pictures my Sister sent me of her doing the "Warrior Dash" they have turkey legs for after the race. Turkey legs and Renaissance Fairs just seem to go together.
    Christine- thanks for the "Change Your Brain, Change Your Body" book info. I read "The Brain Wash" and now I'm addicted to berries, blue, black, rasp, straw, and huckle when I get up to Montana. I love them all. I also try to eat some of the good fat for my brain.

@Morgori- Turkey legs are tasty- and I would have never guessed how bad they are! I even considered having one, and the primary reason I didn't, outside of money, was because I didn't know for sure how they were cooking them. Same with the corn on the cob- it seems innocent enough until you find out they soak it for hours in sugar water, and then consider there is no control on how much butter they slather it with. I love turkey legs- and I am sure there is a healthy (but still tasty) way to cook them up at home... next time I can bring my own to the festival! :happy:
  • Hyzaarc
    Hyzaarc Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Little bit late on this but:

Saturday's victory: Was 800 calories under my goal. However I ate very little because of some unforeseen and emergencies with my family. I didn't gain any weight as well. Also had some out of state friends over and managed to not pig out.

Little bit about myself:
    I love sports, video games, and traveling. I plan to drive in all 50 states, I'm at 17 right now!
  • alleykat69
    alleykat69 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    @Robin- Thanks it went good. She said she was sorry which surprised me. And that she will have the dress fixed to fit when the time comes. She will never tell me again that I need to lose weight and is willing to fix me chicken when we go over for dinner. (I don't eat red meat). They eat a lot of red meat. Hopefully she means what she said today.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Yes I understand all who have posted will be allowed to post. I was just mulling it over, is that 1,000 people, 2,000 people, more. Just my mind idling along into numbers. Gosh everybody, it was just a little tiny thought............

@robin--Speaking of people coming and going--do you think we will lose CoryIda's motivational visits? I sure hope not!

@lin - I am lousy at math, so I just don't think in those terms but its cool you do! I think Skinny is right on those numbers.....

@Skinny - I was surprised when I was searching thru my friends to see that Cory had deactivated her account. She's been on maintenance a long time.......perhaps she's gone professional, me thinks.....I will miss her visits :cry:

@lizmil - those smartphones with autocorrect can sometimes come up with some funny substitutes. "Caustic" can sometimes be an apt adjective for a 19 year old!

@Alleykat - glad the talk with your future MIL went well!
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday-Monday!

Fallen behind and I can't catch up! (As compared to "Fallen down and I can't get up!):laugh:

"Celebrated" 44 years with hubby this weekend. Had a fantastic steak dinner at least. A personal worst in endurance. No explanation necessary, I hope.

Morgori: Your farmers' market photo thrilled me! I get almost giddy when I shop in the Whole Foods produce section. Well, some of the giddiness, more of a swoon, might be the high cost of that beautiful spread, but I bought some lovely Easter Egg radishes and heirloom tomatoes (tiny) and arugula and yellow squash and radichio and...well, you get it. Then I got to the prepared food section. My oh my oh my. Kung Pao tofu, beet and kale salad. Wish I could eat this stuff every day.

Helen: Thanks for the poem, even if it wasn't specifically meant for moi. Made me stand a little taller.

RobinsEgg: Please add me to the long list of grateful members of this thread. I often identify with some of the challenges you've faced down, and later regret missing the "window of comment." 1000 thanks.:heart:

Funny thing! I thought I had some terrible bladder or kidney problem, or wasn't drinking enough water. Urine was red-orange for 2 days. (May be TMI for some here. Sorry.) Finally deduced it was the aforementioned beet-kale salad. Guess it's not time for last rites yet! :tongue:
  • ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    @raven--so funny that I just read your message after coming home late night and finding Chinese take-away in the fridge (DH ordered it after I left for the evening). I decided to have an egg roll and crab rangoon and when I bit into the crab rangoon, I thought "oh, this isn't a very good batch." Then I took a bite of the egg roll and that tasted "off" to me as well. I was wondering if my husband ordered from a different place, or maybe they had changed some recipes. Then I read the thread and saw your quote of my post, and the little light bulb went off over my head (I swear if others were here, they would have seen it light up laugh ). I guess the Chinese take-away is the most recent casualty of my changed taste buds.

@Skinny Awe- I LOVE Chinese food lol but I like when I make it myself- I know what all goes into it then. (I get uneasy about fast food and restaurants anymore).
    @ravenlaramie I had to do the same thing with wine. It was just empty calories: a total waste!

@SaniD I've heard red wine is really good (In moderation) for the stomach though. I don't know how true it is however. Also heard it's high in iron.
    @ravenlaramie I love dogs! I have two schnauzers myself

@SaniD awe, Schnauzers are beautiful dogs. How old are they, if you don't mind my asking?
    @Raven - I'm another one with the changing tastebuds.

I find that the more real food that I eat the worse processed foods taste to me. Regular soda tastes WAY too sweet and diet soda tastes too chemically. I've snitched a few fast food fries/onion rings from co workers and they leave a gross greasy coating on the tongue. How did I never notice that before?

The biggest change was chocolate. I treated myself to a little square and it tasted off. I thought perhaps a better quality wouldn't taste bad so the next time I was in town I got an expensive imported bar and it didn't taste any better..... that's HUGE for me. I was a major chocoholic.

Food that I always thought were bland taste pretty darn good. Baby carrots are really very sweet and strawberries really don't NEED to be dipped in chocolate, they taste amazing all alone. Cauliflower ROCKS raw with a tiny dip of my homemade ranch on it..... You'll absolutely enjoy real food once you get yourself off the junk. smooched

@MyM0wM0w No lie, I'd be scared if I didn't like chocolate anymore. I rarely eat it anyway, honestly but it tastes soooo good when I do break down lol.
    @Raven sounds like you have some great support and good goals to work toward.

@Monarchris They have their moments but they really are supportive of me. I don't know what I'd do without them.
  • regojess
    regojess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm new and just noticed that this group will be members only in about a page so I figured I better get in while I still can.

Since I'm new it's great to be starting on a Sunday share day!!

I'm Jess and going to be 28 in Nov. I have been unemployed for just over a year but, will be starting my new job any day now, Yippee!!! I am also starting my second semester in college next week and looking forward to it. I think it's great to be starting my exercising before my life gets a little more crazy. From nothing to do to overloaded, I'm sure. I've got a full 15 credits this semester and will be learning a new job so I think I'll have to work on not emotionally eating my stresses away til it all settles down a bit.

I have been over weight since I was a child and don't even know what I would look like thin so I'm hopin' to be able to see that at least once in my life. I want t lose weight before I turn the big 30 and figured the sooner I start the better chance I have of makin' it in time. Plus if not now when. I'm a total procrastinator and have been thinking of and wanting to lose weight for about ten years now and since I decided at the beginning of the year that this is my year for fresh starts and new beginnings I will be making losing weight part of that, along with having gone back to school and getting a new job. So this is really one of the last things I have left to do this year.

So hears to a fresh start on life.......Just takin' it one day at a time.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I have been over weight since I was a child and don't even know what I would look like thin so I'm hopin' to be able to see that at least once in my life.

Welcome Jess:flowerforyou:

Wow! This line really resonates for me--makes me want to do two-a-days!

My new goal is to run every day between now and when school starts on the 22nd! Including today (Sun.), that would make 10 days in a row!
  • regojess
    regojess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeanz
    QUOTE: "My new goal is to run every day between now and when school starts on the 22nd! Including today (Sun.), that would make 10 days in a row!"

I want to eventually be able to go running myself. That's one of the things I've always wanted to be able to do. I don't know why it kinda a weird thing to want to do but, eventually I'll get there.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Monday check-in -- well, I feel healthier, and slimmer, and I've done a ton of exercise (my Striiv average steps is up to 9300 and I am going to get it over 10k, I really am), but I have gained a pound. I was at the same festival as @CelticHippo, and my long weekend included 16 pints of beer, three cooked breakfasts including a massive fry up, a ton of sitting around watching music, and a fish curry. I logged it all but I so need to get back on the straight and narrow now. Excess calories were only 1500 or so, and I should have a 500 calorie/day buffer, so I'm pretty confident this is a junk food blip rather than a real gain.

To everyone who's out and about enjoying the summer -- take a picnic. Seriously. Nothing you can ever buy from any stall ever at an event is going to be as tasty and healthy as stuff you can bring with you. Also, drink plenty of water. My last four days stand as an awful warning.

Plus, look at all those Olympians! The Brit who won our final silver medal of the games turned straight to camera and said 'I'm just an ordinary girl. You can do whatever you want to do if you believe in yourself and work hard enough.' Damn right. I don't suppose I'll ever do modern pentathlon like her, but I am going to get the body I deserve, and run, swim, bike, climb mountains, whatever. Triathlon. Maybe I'll do a triathlon.

I am totally going to try portobello pizzas. I love portobellos.

@jtconst -- I have saved your weight chart -- it will be very handy when I think 'oh I haven't lost much'. Realising I need to lose an entire baby horse worth of weight is a bit hard though! And oh, gosh, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with your daughter. I worry so much that one of my kids will do that because I am so not Perfect Mum. They're a bit young to disown me at the moment!

@RobinsEgg -- thanks again for all that you do for this lovely group.

@monarchris -- I hope you and your son have made up. It's so easy to say things in anger that we really regret, on both sides. And kids are better than anyone else at pushing our buttons, aren't they? (They'd probably say that mums are! Certainly my mum is great at pushing my buttons -- having got her awesome Olympics athletics tickets, she still found time during her visit to complain about the state of my house and tell me that I should eat less and exercise more!)

@alleykat69 Mums again! But if the dress is beautiful and you're getting healthier, you will fit into the wonderful dress and look fantastic. You've got a few months right? I'm glad she's promised to support you better.

@Janak2004 -- good luck with that 5k! I did one a couple of years ago, just before my leg went weird, and I really enjoyed it. I was absolutely the single fattest person in Hyde Park that day, and I took a hell of a long time to get round (about four times as long as Mo Farah lol!) but I still felt fantastic. I'm just working up to starting C25k again.

To the last crop of newbies -- welcome, and well done for sneaking in just under the wire!

Off again to two more festivals -- I might have time to check in (by phone) but possibly not. Have a good week everyone!
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Monday Check In: Sorry to be a Debbie Downer this morning but al I can think to write right now is WTF! I was complaining last week that I was fighting the weight between 275 to 282. I weighed in this past Saturday at 285. I would tell you the exact words that came to mind when I saw that number but I would hate to scare men, women birds and small children by repeating it. Let's just say the scale never hit the underside of the cabinet so hard in a long time. I need, I repeat NEED this to come off and NEED to have this off before my race. Getting REALLY discouraged. Tonight my kids have football and cheerleading practice and I will be running but in the back of my mind I'm starting to get that "what's the freakin' point" voice waking up and bugging me.

On the bright side, I really can't feel too bad about my weekend. I did run both days for a mile(I think I did Saturday, can't remember) AND my wife and the kids and I went to the kids against hunger "factory" to help put together food packets for kids around the world. Each packet has enough food to feed the starving children for a day and we(and the 300 others that showed of course) put together over 75000 packets of food! I was not only amazed at the number that we hit but at the excitement that everyone including my kids showed to get this accomplished. When we got done, Brandon asked when we were going to come back because he wants to help more starving children(he's 8!). Needless to say we're going back next month which is the next time they have openings. Every other weekend if full(which is AWESOME in itself.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling and get back to work and try not to eat my arm. I'm also going to drink lots of water and stay under my calorie goals and run a 5k(weather permitting) tonight. Talk to you all tomorrow or later today.
  • Annie219
    Annie219 Posts: 110
    Options
    I wondered what happened to all of you...but here you are! I found you! Guess that's what I get for not logging on like I should :embarassed:

Monday Check-in: I haven't weighed in for a couple of weeks. I'm terrified to. But, I'm back to my 5k training schedule and will be on the road this week for work (again). Fortunately, there is a subway near the hotel so I shouldn't have any excuse to not stay on track.

Goals this week: Run every day and get 60 minute workouts in at least 3 days this week.

Have a great day!!
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Monday check in - I'm here. I read someone's blog about weighing in once a month, it made sense so I'm going to try that. I had to come back to work to rest up from a very busy weekend. Mowed the lawn, huge lawn sad little push mower because the tractor has a flat. Cleaned house. Grocery shopping at the farmer's market. Red up the garage. Sprayed for weeds. Bathed the critters (even Walter the cat). Went to the gym Saturday - cardio, and Sunday - weights. Made some killer BBQ ribs and stuffed jalapenos on Sunday to boot. We're talking real honest to gard BBQ too, low and slow ALL DAY! It was a good weekend but I am whooped.

I'll try to catch up later.

aug
  • Cia_Clayton
    Cia_Clayton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone
    My name is Felicia, but my friends call me Cia. The site was recommended to me by my dietitian. And from what I can see its very nice :) I'm new to the site, but not to the weight loss struggle :) And I need all the encouragement, inspiration and support I can get. I've got a long way to go. So here's to getting to know some of you better as we lose weight together :)

Cia
  • poocon
    poocon Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I am new to this. I found this site several months ago, but I would do it for a couple days then go back to my "comfortable" ways. I am so tired of being overweight! I really need to stick with it this time, so I thought if I got involved on the site and met some people I might be more apt to stick to it, so here I am! :) Got on the scales this morning and was so depressed! I can't believe I let myself get to where I am, I desperately need to lose weight. So I hope to check in here daily and get to know some of you!
  • CelticHippo
    CelticHippo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Monday Check In: So I am at home today and have not managed to get out to the gym today (i have someone in clearing the triffid enclosure that is the garden...while I am filling in my tax return and doing the laundry from the festival and our holiday before that....such a fun day I am having). Tomorrow I weigh myself, although I do not hold much hope of a loss (a stay the same would be nice) as I over indulged before the festival and while I was at the festival. However today I am back on track with my logging, tomorrow I am back at the gym (kit is prepared for tomorrow) and I do not have major events this week so I hold out more hope of a good week then. Although on a good point today I also found time to clear out my fridge and freezer to see what I had in there (and surprisingly the only desserts in there were an unopened tub of low fat frozen yogurt and some orange juice lollies I make for really hot days). I then prepared the dinner plan for the next month...which is looking good and healthy
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    morgori- The dragon fruit sounds interesting. Can you eat the skin or do you peel it? I have never heard of it before so I don't know much about eating it. Your description was helpful.

karen- last night's dinner sounds good. I think I will try making the sauce with ground turkey and fresh veggie's. I also like your goal to run every day before school starts again.

Check in- I hope to go shopping for clothes today. I hope that I have toned enough that I will go down a size at least. We will see since the scale is not my friend right now.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    welcome poocon. It is my opinion that as long as not doing MFP, or skipping a day or two, is an option, you will continue to choose that option. Not doing it is not an option for me; I HAVE to do this. As long as I keep that mindset, I do not struggle as much. Losing weight involves more than counting calories and exercising. There is a lot of mental and emotional stuff going on that needs addressed too.

Monday...Good and bad of the weekend...

Good: I got a new bike seat, and it is making my rides much more comfortable. However, I am not able to ride more than 30 minutes yet because my hands hurt from bearing all of my weight.

Bad: My dad recently moved in with us. He is overweight and diabetic. He went grocery shopping and bought sooo much JUNK. He eats reasonably well during the week, but he basically takes the weekends off from dieting. I do not buy junk, and I never keep it in the house because I do not want my kids to have it. I didn't get fat because of eating sweets or chips; I got fat because of lack of portion control, lack of exercise, and drinking sweet tea. So, now I have these donuts, cookies, and candy bars on the counter laughing at me. I moved them to a less-visible spot, but they are still taunting me. I haven't caved. I do not need/want to eat this junk, but the simple fact that they are there is a temptation just the same.
  • vidvox
    vidvox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Monday check-in: Felt pretty good about food and activity this weekend but this week will be... interesting. I'm at a conference and will be eating many of my meals in a campus cafeteria. Hoping there are healthy choices to be had.

Thanks to Morgori for the dragon fruit info - I will keep my eyes open for them around here.

Have a great week everyone!
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Sorry was MIA all weekend! Had a very busy weekend!
    Saturday was at my in-laws all day.
    Friday night after eating out I was negative with my calories. So my sister in law and I decided to go for a walk. Well we ended up walking/jogging (more walking but still a bit of jogging) for 1 1/2hrs! Definitely wasn't negative anymore! It was a great time.
    Then Sunday we went with my in-laws to the theme park! And I fit in ALL the roller coaster just fine! I was SO nervous about that but it was perfectly fine! And I wore shorts...I've never wore shorts to a theme park and guess what!? NO CHAFFING!!!! I did use the deodorant trick but still! And the water park was a blast as well.
    And for lunch we walked back to our vehicles and had a picnic, well I was pushing my daughter in the stroller and decided to jog, so I did not the whole way but off and on. And did the same thing on our way back to the vehicles to head home. Was just a wonderful day!!! Wasn't so good with the food, but I KNOW I walked/swam it all off at the theme park!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday!!
    Tina