Bulletproof coffee

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Bulletproof coffee is woo!

LOL it's for taste and filling your macros out. It has about as much woo as someone's daily latte. There's no science in it so no woo. Just a taste preference that suits a diet that is not low fat.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

LOL it's for taste and filling your macros out. It has about as much woo as someone's daily latte. There's no science in it so no woo. Just a taste preference that suits a diet that is not low fat.

The claims a lot of people make about it boosting your metabolism and burning fat are woo.
  • bobshouse
    bobshouse Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black and no sugar! Wouldn't touch it!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

The claims a lot of people make about it boosting your metabolism and burning fat are woo.

Beyond a mild thermogenic effect from the MCTs, I am in agreement.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I feel like the poop after-effect would be lethal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried this? Adding butter and coconut oil to your coffee? They say it makes you feel full and burn fat ?? I'm very skeptical.

Stick with that skepticism, you're on the right track. People on keto diets do it because it adds fat to their diet without appreciable carbs or protein, and fat is their main macro. Since I'm not a keto dieter, I can think of a lot of other ways to take in 300 calories which would be a lot more filling and enjoyable. If I was going to drink 300 calories for breakfast, I'd rather have it be in the form of a nice big protein shake with a banana and some PB2 powder blended in.
  • alyssadanniele
    alyssadanniele Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hate breakfast and love coffee ...so it works for me. I don't add butter -just coconut oil and a few sprinkles of cinnamon then blend it [and I STRONGLY recommend blending]. It is creamy and very tasty. I notice that it gives me a clean, sustained boost of energy without a crash and it does seem to curb my appetite -and being a Soldier and MMA fighter, I have a ton of very hard working buddies that tried it and feel the same. I still rely on eating healthy, whole foods, and working out -but it's now a permanent addition to my morning routine.

To all the people that turn their nose up without trying it, and without knowing first hand ...you're just as ridiculous as the people that say drinking this will turn you into some thermogenic machine.
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    So many negative comments! If it's not your cup of "coffee" then don't do it. It works for me, but I tend to lower the amounts. It is CERTAINLY better than chemical creamers!! Viva Bulletproof!
  • GreyKnight120
    GreyKnight120 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer my coffee black; neither sugar nor dairy. Once in awhile I'll add 1-2 tsp of coconut oil (usually on IF days where I can afford the minor calorie hit) just to change the flavor profile a bit and switch things up. I've not noticed any miraculous effect on my energy levels or any other such thing beyond that which the caffeine in the coffee provides on any other day.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and it was okay. I didn't feel full on it as I never do when I drink calories and I felt the same energy that I do from regular coffee. So, in the end, it's just not worth the calories for me. If you like it and it fits your macros then have at it. But, no, it's not a fat burner.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I drink it everyone once in a while. I tend not to get nearly enough fat. I generally just use coconut oil and no butter.

It isn't a magical solution to anything, but it is a way to increase fat without adding carbs.

If you emulsify the coconut oil with hot coffee in a blender, it tastes like having added dairy. It's not slick, oily or gross.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it and it sounds awful. I want my coffee like I want my workout shirts--black.
  • iangelab
    iangelab Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I put 1 tsp of coconut oil in my coffee now with a packet of turbinado sugar and a packet of stevia and unsweet almond milk. I like the little bit of fat-it has helped my elimination if you know what I mean. I also like how it tastes... I tried the butter and it wasn't bad but I did not lose weight doing that......
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I hate breakfast and love coffee ...so it works for me. I don't add butter -just coconut oil and a few sprinkles of cinnamon then blend it [and I STRONGLY recommend blending]. It is creamy and very tasty. I notice that it gives me a clean, sustained boost of energy without a crash and it does seem to curb my appetite -and being a Soldier and MMA fighter, I have a ton of very hard working buddies that tried it and feel the same. I still rely on eating healthy, whole foods, and working out -but it's now a permanent addition to my morning routine.

To all the people that turn their nose up without trying it, and without knowing first hand ...you're just as ridiculous as the people that say drinking this will turn you into some thermogenic machine.

^ truth!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If I wanted to drink an oil slick, I'd just guzzle a bottle of olive oil

lol... I did this once but let me clarify. I work in the grocery industry and often get asked to sample the new health products since everyone knows that I'm in good health, track everything, and keep pretty good logs about how it affects me.

A cleanse product came in ( I know, I know) and I got asked to sample it for product review ... it basically asked you to drink a large quantity of walnut oil, something like 9 cups, over a period of 24 hours. That was the worst thing I've ever done... no lie.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

lol... I did this once but let me clarify. I work in the grocery industry and often get asked to sample the new health products since everyone knows that I'm in good health, track everything, and keep pretty good logs about how it affects me.

A cleanse product came in ( I know, I know) and I got asked to sample it for product review ... it basically asked you to drink a large quantity of walnut oil, something like 9 cups, over a period of 24 hours. That was the worst thing I've ever done... no lie.

But was it a smooth move?
  • DaddieCat
    Options

oh so smooth. One might even compare it to

Qzj1jQy.gif
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

oh so smooth. One might even compare it to

Qzj1jQy.gif

Wow, dude!! LOL
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Fire added for dramatic effect... obviously. I mean... I have lots of superpowers, but flaming back-draft isn't one of them