Weight lifting vs. Cardio

Options

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started both at the same time. Definitely getting stronger, there is some increased definition, but am losing weight as well (19lbs so far).
  • aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I did strength training for the first time Thursday and I have to say for the first time I left the gym feeling accomplished. I used to go and do the elliptical and leave feeling tired, but Thursday I left feeling exhilarated. I could feel my heart rate go up and I got just as sweaty as my cardio only workout. I had a feeling when I left the gym that I did something and I could feel it all over my body in places the elliptical couldn't touch. I will definitely be doing strength training from now on. I already feel less flabby so to speak.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i would suggest getting into a good structured lifting program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine and then add in some cardio on your off days.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I like your suggestion @ndj1979. I wish I'd have had the confidence to do that at the beginning. I thought I was too old and small back then; I wasn't.

Cheers, h.
  • sybabe35
    sybabe35 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is giving me the motivation to get into weight-lifting again! Before the new year and the holidays, I was lifting about once or twice a week and ran 3 or 4x a week. Then life got busy and I only did cardio 3 or 4x a week, and ate more takeout. I've since gained 6 lbs and am working on losing that and the rest of the 5 lbs. I hope the weights will get me back on track! Plus, I joined a gym recently and my boyfriend loves to lift when he comes with me, so that encourages me to lift as well! The circuit training at Planet Fitness makes it easy to do!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    Why not both at once? Dancing with weights can be fun!

No offense, but dancing with weights in your hands is not lifting weights.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Muscle does burn fat. But the only gripe about this is that your muscle is under fat, so you have these newly developing muscles under your fat that will be pushing your fat out. Meaning your body will expand some at first.
    There shouldn't be much weight gain at first, there may be because of the developing muscle adding that extra pound or two. But once you get enough it'll help in burning fat.
    I however didn't start weight lifting right off the bat. I focused on cardio first. The problem is that growing muscles need actual food and if you starve them because you're losing weight your body will start eating your own muscle, and no muscle means no extra fat burn.
    It's hard to juggle between that.
    I waited for the loss, have 5 pounds to go so I started lifting. I'm eating 2,500+ calories a day and still no weight gain but I'm building in muscle mass no problem. My arms are getting nice and thick and the rest of my body is toning now that I'm eating more.
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It seems weird that the body would burn muscles first before fat. I mean, if I'm exercising at all after not being exercising previously, and doing stuff that even that isn't specifically strength but just walking, then I'm burning something for calorie energy and it seems like it'd be the fat, and that my muscles are getting stronger just because I'm using them more frequently and more strenuously.

But I guess I don't really know how this works... :confused:
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I really get is walking 2.5-3 miles daily at lunch. I've used machines before and I like strength training a lot. But I Started stronglifts 5x5 yesterday. I'm already hooked. My body feels so good after lifting.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Simplistically put:
    The body burns fat and to a lesser extent muscle at the same time while losing weight. This is inevitable and can't be avoided.
    (I can't remember the percentage breakdown)

However, doing some kind of strength training keeps the muscles working. If the muscles are working the body keeps repairing them and is less inclined to use them as an energy reserve. This will help lessen the loss of muscle while losing, not negate it.
    Otherwise- use them; or lose them.

Having an adequate protein supply helps in muscle repair and retrention amongst other things and that is why it is important to hit that micro first for a lot of people.

Someone else, hopefully, will come along
    And expand on or correct this explanation of how I understand the benefit of lifting while losing.

Cheers, h.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Do NOT wait to lift. You are going to look so much better as your near goal if you don't wait. The less muscle you lose due to a progressive strength training program will help your body composition, and you may find you don't need to drop as low on the scale, in order to look as good/as small as you'd like.
  • feemailady
    feemailady Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How do you get credit for calories burned for weight training in MFP? I don't see anywhere to log calories burned. I'd like to get info to log one hour of weight training if it's possible. I go every two days.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    feemailady wrote: »
    How do you get credit for calories burned for weight training in MFP? I don't see anywhere to log calories burned. I'd like to get info to log one hour of weight training if it's possible. I go every two days.

There is not a large calorie burn for weight lifting. You can log it under cardio but take it with a grain of salt. I have never once logged weight training for calories burned.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Simplistically put:
    The body burns fat and to a lesser extent muscle at the same time while losing weight. This is inevitable and can't be avoided.
    (I can't remember the percentage breakdown)

However, doing some kind of strength training keeps the muscles working. If the muscles are working the body keeps repairing them and is less inclined to use them as an energy reserve. This will help lessen the loss of muscle while losing, not negate it.
    Otherwise- use them; or lose them.

Having an adequate protein supply helps in muscle repair and retrention amongst other things and that is why it is important to hit that micro first for a lot of people.

Someone else, hopefully, will come along
    And expand on or correct this explanation of how I understand the benefit of lifting while losing.

Cheers, h.

Protein, water and sleep to repair muscle. You're right.

The issue I was pointing is that people on a diet are not on a healthiest enough diet to support muscle growth (protein).
    Neglect to feed and care for your muscles and you won't see the kind of results you'll be expecting.
    It's not just about grabbing something heavy and lifting it for twenty minutes then eat 1,200 calories for the day and only having consumed 20% of protein and 10% of carbs because you're counting calories.
    When weight lifting you have to bring in enough protein and carbs for your muscles while also staying under your own calorie goal.
    It's your own formula.

For instance, 50% of my diet is carbs, 25% Protein, 25% Fat, and I'm Active and set to Maintain. So that comes out to 2,700 I have to eat daily to keep my body and muscles in tip top, growing shape.
  • shelbyfit72
    shelbyfit72 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I no for me I have lost over 135 pounds -and have lifted from the beginning-glad I did so I don't have any lose skin-I lift one day next day cardio-I like doing HIIT workouts-so lifting will help burn fat-I prefer to do cardio like after I lift-sometime I do treadmill to warm up
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Great post and fab responses - so what lifting program would you recommend for someone (a women in particular) starting out? I like the idea of free weights but never sure what I should be doing (yes there are trainers hanging around the gym but I would prefer to hear from people who have actually struggled with weight!!!!)
    Thank you :-)
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    I have just finished the first round of the All Pro routine. I chose it over a 5x5 routine because it increases reps (8-12) before increasing weight. I like to feel comfortable with a weight before upping it (weight chicken).
    Like all the programmes start lifting at a low weight, but one that is heavy for you, and concentrate on form first.

Also, all the lifting programmes can be started with hand weights. I liked learning to squat, with weight, using a body bar rather than a kettle bell or hand weights. It emulates the centre of gravity needed for barbell squats.

Cheers, h.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    feemailady wrote: »

There is not a large calorie burn for weight lifting. You can log it under cardio but take it with a grain of salt. I have never once logged weight training for calories burned.

That depends on the lifting session. 2 x 20's with only 30 seconds between sets, mixed in with core work nets me about a 425 calorie burn for an hour.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I am a huge advocate of lifting. You will build some muscle or at least control the loss as you lose body fat. Make sure your protein intake is high. I do very little cardio, but good job working out and burning those calories!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Just restarted this journey to get fit (and basically change everything I've ever done) at 6m postpartum my core is a bit (ok a lot) behind but I also just started SL5x5. I love it.